Engine Baffling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
7suds(at)Chartermi.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Engine Baffling Reply with quote

Guys,
I am working on installing the cowl baffling in my series 5 Outback with a
912 engine, stock exhaust and stock coolant radiator, (no oil cooler).
Wondering what your experiences have been running the stock baffling as
described in the manual, is it the best way to go? Have people found they
needed more, less, different install techniques, added rubber skirting, etc,
etc.
For those that can post, some pictures of what you have put in your machine
and how it is working for you would be great.
Thanks,
Lloyd Cudnohufsky
Model 5 Rebuild 912 IVO IFA
Northern Michigan

--

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Engine Baffling Reply with quote

Lloyd,

Check your install manual and see if it is for the 912. I don't think I
have ever seen a 912 install with baffling. I am working on a Model IV and
a Series V with 7 firewall forward and no mention of baffling in either
manual.

Lowell

[...]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Engine Baffling Reply with quote

Lowell,
Yes, the install manual shows it and for a 912, but perhaps I am leading
people astray by using the wrong words to describe what I am talking about.
I am calling the aluminum sheeting that is from the firewall to the radiator
and along the sides of the radiator as the baffling. I believe what is being
accomplished is to force the air coming in the front of the cowl through the
radiator by making the radiator the only path to the cowl exit. I know that
on an air cooled Lycoming there is baffling between and around the jugs to
force the air through the cooling fins, not sure if it is necessary on the
912, but the lower sheet makes sense otherwise I can see the air path
flowing around the radiator instead of through it.

--

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Engine Baffling Reply with quote

LLoyd,

Clear now. I am helping with a Series 5, but it has the 7 firewall forward
set-up and the baffling
is in front of the radiator as there is a NACA scoop on the bottom of the
cowl that feeds the radiator, so can't be of much help - sorry. I do have
one concern on our set-up, however. The area of the radiator / NACA scoop
plus the cowl vent below the prop is about 125 sq. in. The outlet at the
base of the firewall is probably close to 100 inches. Does anyone recall
the ratio outlet vs. inlet. As I recall, it should be in the 150% range,
but not sure.

[...]

propellerdesign(at)tele2.
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Engine Baffling Reply with quote

HI

80% out is good on a water cooler of good shape ducting, if it is bad shaped
110-150% is said to be "optimum"

Jan
---

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
Guy Buchanan

Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Location: Ramona, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Engine Baffling Reply with quote

On 2/14/2011 7:45 PM, Lowell Fitt wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone recall the ratio outlet vs. inlet. As I recall, it should be in the 150% range, but not sure.

Lowell,
If you want to burn some hours spend some time with this radiator analysis software. Let me know if the attachment fails.

Guy Buchanan Normal Guy Buchanan 8 20 2010-09-24T17:53:00Z 2011-01-02T22:52:00Z 1 25 149 1 1 173 14.00 <![endif]--> 59 Clean Clean false false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 592-C / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

liquidcooling_912ul.xls

Download
 Filename:  liquidcooling_912ul.xls
 Filesize:  59.5 KB
 Downloaded:  261 Time(s)

Guy Buchanan
Deceased K-IV 1200
A glider pilot too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours