Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prince P-tip Propeller Users?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

Greetings KIS TR-1 owners,

I recently bought a TR-1 (kit #30) constructed by Peter Webb here in the UK. She flies beautifully but can do with a slightly less coarse pitch prop.

I am seriously considering fitting a Prince P-tip (carbon fiber version). According to Lonnie Prince there are 24 KIS aircraft flying with Prince P-tip propellers.

Anyone out there who can comment on what pitch works well on the TR-1? ... engine power would be a factor in that equation I guess Surprised)) My tractor is an O-240 which supposedly cranks out 130 hp at 2800 RPM peak.

Would appreciate any input regarding your experiences with Prince P-tip props.

Thanks and regards,
Alfred

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

Congratulations, I enjoy my TR-1, kit #47. I also have the IO-240 B1B, they
are rated 125 min. hp to 130 at 2800 I think. I have a wood Sensenich 69 x
72 prop. and get 165 mph at 2550 RPM and 195 mph at 2800rpm at gross weight
(1550#) for both speeds, 920# empty.

What is your static RPM and max. cruise RPM with the prop you have?

Tim
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

My prince prop is gorgeous. My prop arrived without paint on the tips. I'd ask him to paint the tips white so you have a visible prop arc. The FAA is big on that over here. I painted my tips myself.

Scott

--- On Mon, 1/31/11, BlueSkyFlier <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users?
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, January 31, 2011, 7:21 PM

--> KIS-List message posted by: "BlueSkyFlier" <bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com (bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com)>

I recently bought a TR-1 (kit #30) constructed by Peter Webb here in the UK. She flies beautifully but can do with a slightly less coarse pitch prop.

I am seriously considering fitting a Prince P-tip (carbon fiber version). According to Lonnie Prince there are 24 KIS aircraft flying with Prince P-tip propellers.

Anyone out there who can comment on what pitch works well on the TR-1? ... engine power would be a factor in that equation I guess Surprised)) My tractor is an O-240 which supposedly cranks out 130 hp at 2800 RPM peak.

Would appreciate any input regarding your experiences with Prince P-tip props.

Thanks and regards,
Alfred

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=329151#329151
nbsp; --> http://www.matronics.com/con=================

[quote][b]

bakerocb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

2/1/2011

Hello Alfred, Congratulations on getting a KIS TR-1. I think that it is a
great little airplane combined with a TCM IO-240 engine.

I have over 300 hours on mine now (Kit #116) powered by a TCM IO-240 B9B
engine with a 68 inch diameter, 69 inch pitch Prince P-Tip prop. I get about
2,200 RPM during the early stages of takeoff roll and could exceed 2,800 RPM
at full throttle at altitude.

You wrote: "She flies beautifully but can do with a slightly less coarse
pitch prop."

I assume that you are looking for a finer pitched prop than your present one
in order to get more RPM (and therefore more power) during takeoff and
climb.

Can you please give us what RPM numbers you are seeing now and the info on
your prop make, diameter, and pitch?

Any fixed pitch prop is going to be a compromise between climb (takeoff) and
cruise performance, but one can bias in one direction or the other depending
upon desired operating conditions. Keep in mind that regardless of what prop
one is using the KIS TR-1 design is not optimized for short field
performance.

'OC' Baker Says: "The best investment we can make is the time and effort to
gather and understand knowledge."

PS: Here is a link to the TCM IO-240 B engine specification sheet showing
125 HP at 2,800 RPM:

http://www.tcmlink.com/EngSpecSheetDocs/IO240B.pdf

=====================================================
To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 10:21 PM
Subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users?
Quote:

<bleuskyfly(at)teledynamix.com>

I recently bought a TR-1 (kit #30) constructed by Peter Webb here in the
UK. She flies beautifully but can do with a slightly less coarse pitch
prop.

I am seriously considering fitting a Prince P-tip (carbon fiber version).
According to Lonnie Prince there are 24 KIS aircraft flying with Prince
P-tip propellers.

Anyone out there who can comment on what pitch works well on the TR-1? ...
engine power would be a factor in that equation I guess Surprised)) My tractor is
an O-240 which supposedly cranks out 130 hp at 2800 RPM peak.

Would appreciate any input regarding your experiences with Prince P-tip
props.

Thanks and regards,
Alfred

bakerocb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

2/1/2011

Hello Tim, You wrote: "I have a wood Sensenich 69 x 72 prop. and get 165
mph at 2550 RPM and 195 mph at 2800rpm ......"

What RPM are you seeing static or early in the takeoff roll at full
throttle? Thanks.

===================================

Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: Prince P-tip Propeller Users?
Quote:

Congratulations, I enjoy my TR-1, kit #47. I also have the IO-240 B1B,
they are rated 125 min. hp to 130 at 2800 I think. I have a wood Sensenich
69 x 72 prop. and get 165 mph at 2550 RPM and 195 mph at 2800rpm at gross
weight (1550#) for both speeds, 920# empty.

What is your static RPM and max. cruise RPM with the prop you have?

Tim

bakerocb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

2/1/2011

Hello Scott: You wrote: "My prop arrived without paint on the tips."

So your prop had the carbon fiber visible over the entire prop when you
received it and you just put paint on the tips leaving the carbon fiber
exposed over the rest of the prop?

Thanks,

================================================

Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:06 AM
Subject: Re: Prince P-tip Propeller Users?
My prince prop is gorgeous. My prop arrived without paint on the tips. I'd
ask him to paint the tips white so you have a visible prop arc. The FAA is
big on that over here. I painted my tips myself.

Scott

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

Thank you kindly to all who have responded with propeller and performance information. Your contribution is very encouraging and will come in very handy when I have to submit the prop change for approval by the LAA (i.e. PFA) here in the UK.

My current prop is a Chris Lodge 66.5" dia x 69" pitch. Static rpm is 2200 and max rpm in level flight is 2500 at low altitude. However, with that 2500 rpm I see 140 knots IAS - not yet quite sure how accurate that airspeed indicator is -- or the rev counter for that matter Surprised). The numbers don't really bother me either way, but I don't need numbers to tell me that the thrust at low speed is less than I want it to be. The aircraft makes that message quite clear when executing a go-round from near stall speed - especially if you haven't yet had time to raise 2nd stage flaps.

The supposed nose-drop tendency of the KIS2 was a bit of a concern, but can gladly report that in my case it seems to be a rumour. In any case I have full oleo C172 nose gear fitted, just in case Surprised)) All in all the KIS's performance profile seems to fit me like glove. All landings (about 13) thus far have been dead stick glide curves onto short final. Long straight powered finals have their use and place, but I avoid them if I can.

I agree with Hans Christian's comment about maintaining a fairly flat/level attitude until main gear touchdown. With the laminar flow wing the KIS2 does not like to have its nose pointed too far skyward and tends to bite back with a forward rotating moment if you do pitch it up too steeply, most especially so with full flaps deployed.

With one stage flaps she seems very mild mannered and that is my preferred landing configuration. Overall, I am quite happy with the handling, but would just like a little extra ooomph! when I push in the throttle for the odd bump or go-round.

Seems that my Chris Lodge propeller will be fine for long range high level cruising. So perhaps I'll keep that for the odd long trip and optimise the Prince P-tip for more performance at the lower end of the range.

Whilst I was evaluating the KIS type last year I read virtually every message on this board - way back into the 90's. It therefore feels as if I know some of your for quite a while already. Thanks for welcoming me to the fold.

Happy landings to all.

Regards,
Alfred

BlueSkyFlier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

With specific reference to Tim's post earlier above ....

The performance I see with the Lodge prop equates directly to his results with the Sensenich and would seems to suggest that my inclination to opt for a larger diameter prop like his with lesser/reduced pitch is heading in the right direction.

Increasing the diameter allows for improving efficiency at low end airspeed due to reduction in the "advance ratio" - the latter being a fairly fundamental technical parameter in prop design.

So now to find the maximum diameter that won't strike the ground on a bad landing Surprised) Are you guys aware of any regulations regarding prop ground clearance? I suspect 12 or 13" would be a minimum.

So it seems that I'm heading for a carbon Prince P-tip in the range of 70-72" diameter and 67-65" pitch (with larger diameter corresponding to finer pitch).

Thanks for the help on this thread so far.

Regards,
Alfred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

Hello Alfred,

I determined my prop length, 69", by measuring the length from the prop
flange centerline to the ground with no air in the nose tire (simulating a
flat tire)and subtracted an inch from that. I have 7" of ground clearance
with air in the tire. I wanted the longest prop I could safely have. I have
had my share of firm (hard) landings and have not touched the prop.

I remember Rich citing Vance Jaqua about how prop length was king. Rich, do
you remember exactly how he stated it?

Tim

---

lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

I had to jump in with a phrase that Vance Jaqua told me a while back
when I was asking him about props. "You should keep your prop as long
as you can as long as you can." I miss Vance and his wisdom on these
issues. It sounds to me like you are collectively coming up with some
good information. Larry

On 2/1/2011 4:32 PM, BlueSkyFlier wrote:
Quote:

Thank you kindly to all who have responded with propeller and performance information. Your contribution is very encouraging and will come in very handy when I have to submit the prop change for approval by the LAA (i.e. PFA) here in the UK.

My current prop is a Chris Lodge 66.5" dia x 69" pitch. Static rpm is 2200 and max rpm in level flight is 2500 at low altitude. However, with that 2500 rpm I see 140 knots IAS - not yet quite sure how accurate that airspeed indicator is -- or the rev counter for that matter Surprised). The numbers don't really bother me either way, but I don't need numbers to tell me that the thrust at low speed is less than I want it to be. The aircraft makes that message quite clear when executing a go-round from near stall speed - especially if you haven't yet had time to raise 2nd stage flaps.

The supposed nose-drop tendency of the KIS2 was a bit of a concern, but can gladly report that in my case it seems to be a rumour. In any case I have full oleo C172 nose gear fitted, just in case Surprised)) All in all the KIS's performance profile seems to fit me like glove. All landings (about 13) thus far have been dead stick glide curves onto short final. Long straight powered finals have their use and place, but I avoid them if I can.

I agree with Hans Christian's comment about maintaining a fairly flat/level attitude until main gear touchdown. With the laminar flow wing the KIS2 does not like to have its nose pointed too far skyward and tends to bite back with a forward rotating moment if you do pitch it up too steeply, most especially so with full flaps deployed.

With one stage flaps she seems very mild mannered and that is my preferred landing configuration. Overall, I am quite happy with the handling, but would just like a little extra ooomph! when I push in the throttle for the odd bump or go-round.

Seems that my Chris Lodge propeller will be fine for long range high level cruising. So perhaps I'll keep that for the odd long trip and optimise the Prince P-tip for more performance at the lower end of the range.

Whilst I was evaluating the KIS type last year I read virtually every message on this board - way back into the 90's. It therefore feels as if I know some of your for quite a while already. Thanks for welcoming me to the fold.

Happy landings to all.

Regards,
Alfred

--------

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=329239#329239

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Prince P-tip Propeller Users? Reply with quote

That's it, thanks for the reminder.

Tim
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: