Engine Shut Down
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
MHerder

Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

Manual on my 3300 says just turn the ignition off to shut it down... Any reason why we should or shouldn't be shutting it off buy shutting off the fuel?

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Zodiac 601 HD
Jabiru 3300
Wood Sensinich 64x47
Finally Flying
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

With a "normal" 3300 using a Bing carb, it would take a little while
to burn the fuel in the float bowl down enough to kill the engine. If
you had a Rotec TBI installed, shutting off the fuel supply would
stop the engine in about 5 seconds. I'm getting to the point that I
can shut off the fuel about 20 feet before my normal stopping (in
front of the hangar) point, and the prop stops when I stop the plane
from rolling.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Sensenich 62"x46" Wood (summer)
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection
On Nov 18, 2010, at 9:41 PM, MHerder wrote:

Quote:

<michaelherder(at)beckgroup.com>

Manual on my 3300 says just turn the ignition off to shut it
down... Any reason why we should or shouldn't be shutting it off
buy shutting off the fuel?

--------
One Rivet at a Time!

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
zeprep251(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

Mike,
If you have a mixture control on your carburetor you could shut it off that way.But if you want to kill it by turning off the fuel selector,be prepared to wait for a couple minutes for the fuel bowl on the Bing to run dry. General aviation engines run a couple hundred degrees higher cylinder head temps and would run on with out spark ignition,you had to starve it of fuel to kill it.
G.Aman Jabiru 2200A 600 hrs

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
flyadive(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

G.Aman:

You are misinformed.
1 - IF the cylinders did "run a couple hundred degrees higher cylinder head temps and would run on with out spark ignition,"<-- Quoted from G.Amam.  You wound have a condition of PRE-IGNITION which would surely be there even a few hundred degrees still hotter DURING NORMAL RUNNING.  If this occurred you surely would have a rough running engine.  And quickly on it way to the grave.

2 - When you make the statement: "General aviation engines run a couple hundred degrees higher cylinder head temps", I am forced to think you are comparing aviation to automotive.  Auto engines generally run HOTTER than aircraft engines...
Lets define a few things here.  When you say hotter WHAT are you measuring, CHT?
Well there are very few air cooled auto engines out there.  Only one comes to mind, the old VW.  They were rear mounted, not a very good place for air flow cooling.  Yet, they ran very well.  So well that they have been used in aviation.
The newer engines of today run hotter than aviation engines for one simple reason:  They have higher compression ratios.  Most aircraft engines run 7:1, 7.5:1, 8:1. 8.5:1 and there are a few that are 9 & 10:1.  Cars start around 10:1 and go up to 12.5:1 for normal production cars.  SO, how do they stay cool running?  They are liquid cooled.  There are some aviation engines that are co-cooled -liquid and air.
So, lets measure something else... EGT.
What is the limiting factor in leaning an engine?  Nonuniform air-fuel flow to all cylinders. I say Non Uniform because once you peak one cylinder you stop there. (I am not going to get into LOP & ROP since we are talking carborated engines.)  And deforming of the metal.  Oh, lets not forget Pre-Ignition.  Most engine savvy pilots will not go above 1450 F on EGT and the normal range is usually 1200 to 1400 F.  This is done for longevity of the engine.

So maybe the question should be:  Why CAN'T we shut down an aircraft engine like a car?
Because car engines are not built like aircraft engines.  When you shut down a car engine you shut down all sorts of electrical things, Timing, Computer, Fuel Pump, Air/Fuel Valves and of course the spark. Being that there is a fuel pump and Air/Fuel Valves and most of todays cars are fuel injected... I guess you could say you are shutting the car the same as 'most' a planes.

Loaded Question:  If the flash point of gas is so low, below that of internal CHT why do we not Pre-Ignition all the time?

Barry

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 9:27 PM, <zeprep251(at)aol.com (zeprep251(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote]Mike,
If you have a mixture control on your carburetor you could shut it off that way.But if you want to kill it by turning off the fuel selector,be prepared to wait for a couple minutes for the fuel bowl on the Bing to run dry. General aviation engines run a couple hundred degrees higher cylinder head temps and would run on with out spark ignition,you had to starve it of fuel to kill it.
G.Aman Jabiru 2200A 600 hrs

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
zeprep251(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

Martin,your right,I should said when the engine is hot
My Beech 35,although injected with a mixture/ fuel cut off had a red line cyl head temp of 435F.My Jabiru runs well under 300f, red lined at 325.Maybe the difference between cast and machined billet heads limits the temps some.Should not have an issue with moving the prop and having it start accidentally ,takes about 300rpm to fire the solid state pickup coil.but the issue was shutting the Bing equipped engine down fuel wise.My Jabiru runs on 100LL as well.

Thanks G.A.

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
zeprep251(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

Barry
You are absolutely right.What could I have been thinking.

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
BobsV35B(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

Good Evening All,

Above all we must remember that the internal combustion engines all run by the same rules whether they drive a lawn mower or are 3350s on a DC-7.  The differences are in the details, but the principles do not change. EGTs are NOT the Holy Grail and the actual temperatures do not make any difference at all. They can serve a very important duty in telling us how our engines are doing if we understand that they are relative and not absolute.

LOP is best for longevity if you have adequate distribution. You can get good distribution with a float carburetor or fuel injection, but it is easier to get with fuel injection. The devil is in the details. They are all marvelous things to behold. Don't get blinded by old wives tales. Study the available knowledge and make your own decisions as you learn.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 11/20/2010 9:42:35 P.M. Central Standard Time, aerobiz1(at)gmail.com writes:
[quote]Hi again G.A.

Re shutdown :

It is not so much the temperature of the cylinder head, but more the glowing embers of carbon or even a spark plug that will keep an engine running - albeit roughly - when you turn the ignition off. That's why we use the lean cut-off on traditional aircraft engines. Starve the critter.....

At other times :

On a Jabiru, with its need to spin fast to get the ignition to fire, you would not expect a broken earth lead - making the ignition always hot - to be so much of a danger than it would be on a Lycoming with its impulse-coupled magneto.
Pull through one blade, as slow as you lie, and you can easily fire the engine up.

So there is a few techniques to shutting your engine down. If you don't have a mixture cut-off like you would with a Rotec TBI or Aerocarb or regular Lycoming type carb or fuel injection system, you can simply turn the ignition off and hope that there are no glowing embers in a combustion chamber, (if there is, push the throttle full open - often the technique used on Gypsy Majors in Austers and Tiger Moths) or you can turn the fuel valve off and wait for the Bing float bowl to empty.
Realistically, just turn the ignition off.....

Martin

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM, <zeprep251(at)aol.com (zeprep251(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Martin,your right,I should said when the engine is hot
My Beech 35,although injected with a mixture/ fuel cut off had a red line cyl head temp of 435F.My Jabiru runs well  under 300f, red lined at 325.Maybe the difference between cast and machined billet heads limits the temps some.Should not have an issue with moving the prop and having it start accidentally ,takes about 300rpm to fire the solid state pickup coil.but the issue was shutting the Bing equipped engine down fuel wise.My Jabiru runs on 100LL as well.

Thanks G.A.

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
aerobiz1(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

Well said Bob,

Cheers
Martin

In a message dated 11/20/2010 9:42:35 P.M. Central Standard Time, aerobiz1(at)gmail.com (aerobiz1(at)gmail.com) writes:
[...]

Float Flyr

Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Location: Campbellton, Newfoundland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Engine Shut Down Reply with quote

Martin:

You have #2 backward. A broken P-Lead won’t allow the ignition to be grounded out... therefore not allowing the pilot any other method of stopping the engine other than fuel starvation. It will start just fine.

Noel