Need help with removal of landing gear frame

rambug

Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Need help with removal of landing gear frame Reply with quote

While my engine is unmounted for some work, I would like to tend to the corrosion issues of my plane.

Among others, I would like to remove the landing gear frame to get it sandblasted and powdercoated.  However, it's not only held in place by 8 bolts, but also by a green-ish cement, which I presume is a mixture of Redux and flox.

Is there any trick to ease the removal of this frame ?  Any way to soften the cement without damage the fuselage ?
Luc

Luc Michaud
Europa Monowheel A059
Canadian Registration C-GLOB (in progress)
Montreal, Québec, Canada
neveyre(at)aol.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Need help with removal of landing gear frame Reply with quote

Hi Luc,
Redux will ''let go'' when heated, take the bolts out, grind [dremel] as much of the Redux away as you can to begin with.
Tie / chock the fuselage so it can not move forward, get webbing straps on the top and bottom members of the frame hooked to a car or something heavy.
You need 4 pieces of steel bar that are a tight fit in the mount tubes, that stick out the front by about 4'' when fully inserted.
Mask the fuselage areas close to the exposed bars with box card / alloy foil / sheet steel WHY and get the bars hot with a propane [ or prefereably an acetalyne] torch.
Have wet towels ready to cool any areas of the tunnel you see getting warm, but with a fast application of heat to the 4 bars the Redux will go soft and with tension on the webbing straps, tap with a soft hammer, the frame will come out forwards.
Keep the frame square as it moves forward, otherwise it may jam up.
When it is out, quench the tunnel area with the wet towels.
Nev.

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Need help with removal of landing gear frame Reply with quote

Hi! Luc.
Further to Nev’s suggestion below I’d suggest using some copper bars as the heat transfer medium.
I had used carefully taped cling film when I fitted mine so it came out easily.
Of course the powder coating will increase the diameter so you will need some clearance making to get the frame back in and it will also need freshly bedding on the new Redux Flox mix. I also used saddle washers between the finally positioned tube and the bolt heads/nuts.
Regards
Bob Harrison

While my engine is unmounted for some work, I would like to tend to the corrosion issues of my plane.

Among others, I would like to remove the landing gear frame to get it sandblasted and powdercoated. However, it's not only held in place by 8 bolts, but also by a green-ish cement, which I presume is a mixture of Redux and flox.

Is there any trick to ease the removal of this frame ? Any way to soften the cement without damage the fuselage ?

Luc

Quote:
==================================== target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List====================================tp://forums.matronics.com====================================_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution====================================

Quote:
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
Quote:
====================================
0
Quote:
====================================
1
Quote:
====================================
2
Quote:
====================================
3
Quote:
====================================
4
Quote:
====================================
5
Quote:
====================================
6
Quote:
====================================
7
Quote:
====================================
8

pjeffers(at)talktalk.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Need help with removal of landing gear frame Reply with quote

Hi Luc,

The greenish cement is indeed Redux with added Flox. The only practical way
to soften it is to use heat, preferably from a hot air gun. Be careful not
to allow to much heat to get into the surrounding fibre glass. Masking
using two or three layers of un resined Bid is quite a good way to achieve
this.
It is at least a two person job, one heating and one using appropriate
percussive force to break each of the four bonds in turn. The first one is
the most difficult.
I guess there was no need to suggest removing the bolts first.
It is not a nice job and I would prefer not to try it at all unless you are
really sure it is necessary. In the early days of classic europas we all
had to change our U/C frames due to a re design. It was not fun.

Pete Jeffers Europa Club LAA Inspector

budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Need help with removal of landing gear frame Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> Luc,
I appreciate your desire to clean up the old girl, but I question why. Some good old fasioned elbow work and cleaning will free up the rust. Osphor is a brand name of a corrosion inhibitor which will turn the small amount of rust to oxides that are stable, and a hand painting with care with a good primer and paint will relieve you of the work.

If it must be done, Nev is right, not a huge deal, I've done it before, just go slow and take your time. Use a Dremel tool and assortment of bits to reduce the volume of Redux down a bit so not as much heat is needed.

Bud Yerly
[quote] ---