Stratus engine mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
tshankland(at)sbcglobal.n
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Stratus engine mount Reply with quote

Has anyone had any problems with the engine mounts supplied by Stratus in my Zenith 601HD. During my annual I have discovered a crack in the upper right (passenger side) engine mount. It runs from the front top near the weld almost half way to the back. There are 140 hours on the engine and all other mounts appear OK.

Tim Shankland

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
larry(at)macsmachine.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Stratus engine mount Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
The crack you mention is very common with that specific engine mount adapter. I replaced mine much earlier. The fault lies with the length of the gusset and the welder’s failure to do a full weld around
The end of the gusset. The crack mostly begins at the end of the gusset where the stress is highest and the abrupt end of the weld causes the beginning of a crack. Some have welded a strap across the crack like a bridge after welding the crack back together and that often seems to work . I built a new adapter which has a longer gusset and it’s been fine so far. If you mention this to Mykal at Stratus, he’ll send you a replacement.

Regards,

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

[/b]http://forums.matronics.com[/url] - List Contribution Web generous nbsp;   --> http://www.matronics.com/c=[/b]

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
tshankland(at)sbcglobal.n
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Stratus engine mount Reply with quote

Larry,
I have been trying to contact Mykal for a couple of days, I thought I would try a replacement before a repair. Do you know do the replacements have any of the changes you mentioned.
Tim
[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

Has anyone had any problems with the engine mounts supplied by Stratus in my Zenith 601HD. During my annual I have discovered a crack in the upper right (passenger side) engine mount. It runs from the front top near the weld almost half way to the back. There are 140 hours on the engine and all other mounts appear OK.

Tim Shankland

Quote:
http://www.matro===================http://forums.matronics.com - List Contribution Web generous nbsp; --> http://www.matronics.com/c=
Quote:

face="courier new,courier" size="2">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List

[b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
larry(at)macsmachine.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Stratus engine mount Reply with quote

The replacement I received originally had no changes, so I made one myself. I think in retrospect, the best solution would be to grind and re-weld the crack and add the cross bar reinforcement.
I donated the one I received to a friend that also had his crack at 65 hours. In weld repair, I’d suggest you get someone that has good skills at TIG welding or oxyacetylene welding so as to not spread
too much heat into the part. This is a very safe repair if done carefully.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours