Best way to cut .040 stock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List
PFolbrecht(at)starkinvest
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

Was making the 909 (?) shims for the HS.
Snips are not precise enough for stock this thick.
Die grinder with a cutoff wheel worked Ok, but spun badly a couple times. I
did one this way and one with the good 'ole hacksaw. Which might be the best
method.
I think these parts are too small for a bandway as well even if I had one that
cuts Al well, which I don't.
Just wondering if there were any suggestions for future parts of this type.
do not archive

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Michael Wynn

Location: San Ramon, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

I experimented with a couple of different things. For flat stock, a
non-ferrous blade in a table saw makes really nice, straight, smooth cuts. If the
stock is irregular or bent, be really careful. I got a nice kickback that sliced
up a hand pretty well. I have also used a band saw with a metal cutting
blade. That works great but you need to set up a fence to keep the cuts straight.
Regards,
Michael Wynn
RV-8, Wings
San Ramon, California
Do Not Archive

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

_________________
Michael Wynn
RV 8
San Ramon, CA
bicyclop(at)pacbell.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
diesel(at)rconnect.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Best way to cut .040 stock
I cut from .020" to .125" aluminum sheet as well as aluminum angle stock to
.250 " using a band saw with a fine tooth plywood veneer blade. A power
hacksaw worked also but the aluminum is soft enough that the veneer blade
cut faster and actually better so I stopped using it in favor of the
bandsaw. The cut is then finished with a small belt sander to remove the
blade marks and polished smooth with a scotchbrite wheel.
Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6
100hours
N149KC RV4
Northfield, MN

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
jjessen(at)rcn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

If you're not cutting a whole lot, I've used a Dremel with a cut off wheel
and found it not only fast but accurate. The other route is to make a zero
tolerance insert for your band saw so the material doesn't get sucked down
and stays nice and firm on the table. Make sure, however, that your band
saw blade is many teethed and that you tune it up so the blade doesn't
wander, ruining your cut. Works fine that way for most thicknesses.
John Jessen
RV-10 elevators.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
dan(at)rvproject.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

Is it just me, or has nobody mentioned using a SHEAR yet?
do not archive
) ( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com
-

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
cjensen(at)dts9000.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

A shear? That's cheating---that'd be too easy.
Chuck Jensen

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
gerf(at)gerf.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

This is a case of SoCal bragging - those CNO guys 'n gals seem
to have every tool imaginable Wink
How about a plasma screwdriver for my EPS conduits ?
do not archive
[quote]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
dan(at)rvproject.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a case of SoCal bragging - those CNO guys 'n gals seem
to have every tool imaginable Wink

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
mark(at)macomb.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

My favorite: Klein makes a bottle opener with the rubber grip just like
their screwdrivers. Lowe's carries them.
Mark
Do not archive
Dan Checkoway wrote:
Quote:

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
rv6fly(at)bresnan.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

Folbrecht, Paul wrote:
Quote:

Was making the 909 (?) shims for the HS.
Snips are not precise enough for stock this thick.
Die grinder with a cutoff wheel worked Ok, but spun badly a couple times. I
did one this way and one with the good 'ole hacksaw. Which might be the best
method.
I think these parts are too small for a bandway as well even if I had one that
cuts Al well, which I don't.
Just wondering if there were any suggestions for future parts of this type.
do not archive
Paul,
I used a Delta, 3 wheel band saw on several airplane projects, cutting
up to 1/4" aluminum. I used a regular wood blade with 14 TPI and LPS
"Tap-All" on the cut line. I think kerosene works well for cutting
aluminum if I remember correctly. With the use of cutting fluid, the
blades seemed to last forever. The saw is still going strong after use
on a Glasair, Glastar and several RV projects.
Bob Skinner Buffalo, WY

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
bcollinsrv7a(at)comcast.n
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

Quote:
>Snips are not precise enough for stock this thick.

Hmmm.. The way I learned about cutting was to drill the corners and use the
snips and cut it 1/8" off the actual line of the desired piece and then file
and Scotchbrite it down to its final shape and dimension.
Did I learn wrong?
Do not archive

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
HCRV6(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

I'm late jumping into this but FWIW I've found that the best way to cut any small sheet parts af any thickness is with an inexpensive band saw and the finest toothed (if that's a word) blade you can find. 14 works, and a wood cutting blade lasts almost as long as a metal cutting blade, at least in my $50 Craftsman band saw, one of the best investments in tools I made at the start of my project.

--Harry Crosby
RV-6 N16CX, 161 hours and down for painting.

From: "Bob Collins" <bcollinsrv7a(at)comcast.net>
Quote:

> >Snips are not precise enough for stock this thick.

Hmmm.. The way I learned about cutting was to drill the corners and use the
snips and cut it 1/8" off the actual line of the desired piece and then file
and Scotchbrite it down to its final shape and dimension.

Did I learn wrong?

Do not archive

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
gerf(at)gerf.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

I M (not so) H O - snips suck ! They do a lousy job - they
curl things up, they leave "jaggies" - that's why you have to
leave 1/8" so you have enough room to clean up afterward.
Definitely band saw - get as close as you can to your mark up
lines without touching the line (takes concentration). Finish
up with the bench sander (if needed) and then the scotchbrite
wheel.

--
__g__

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
aldaniels(at)fmtc.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

If you use I think it is just bar soap on the band saw or hack saw blade
before cutting aluminum it reduces blade gumming. Most any wood cutting
blades like a table saw, skill saw, or router with carbide tips is what
many people that do a lot or heavy aluminum work use. I could not
believe it the first time I saw someone go at a piece of 3 inch angle
aluminum with a circular saw, but it works great. Eye protection is
essential as aluminum gets everywhere and the eye doc has a hard time
getting it out. Someone correct me if it is not soap as I just am not
sure I remember correctly.

From: "Bob Collins" <bcollinsrv7a(at)comcast.net>

>>>Snips are not precise enough for stock this thick.
>>>

>Hmmm.. The way I learned about cutting was to drill the corners and use the
>snips and cut it 1/8" off the actual line of the desired piece and then file
>and Scotchbrite it down to its final shape and dimension.
>
>Did I learn wrong?
>
>Do not archive

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Doug Gray

Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

I too have found the hand jig saw to work very well on .040 and up to 0.25. I tape the stock to
prevent the foot scratching the surface and find control excellent. Easy to cut very close to the
line. I use a little Boelube on the blade before a cut.

On thinner stock I prefer the off cut wheel and die grinder.

I'd like to try a bandsaw but space does not permit.

Doug Gray
RV-6 Seat Back assy
PeterHunt1(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:

I had excellent success using a hand jig saw (DeWALT) and a fine blade and
moderate speed set on the trigger. Straight cuts or curves come out really
nice if you have a steady hand. I taped the stock to a table with the portion
to be removed hanging over the table edge. Cuts heavier stock just as well.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Rick Galati

Location: Lake St. Louis MO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

PFolbrecht(at)starkinvest wrote:

Was making the 909 (?) shims for the HS.
Snips are not precise enough for stock this thick.
Die grinder with a cutoff wheel worked......and one with the good 'ole hacksaw.............any suggestions for future parts of this type. do not archive

You seem to be covering most the bases. I too, dislike using hand snips, always found them to be more of a nuisance than anything else. By far the cleanest, most precise and efficient tool to use is a shear but for a variety of reasons, not many builders have ready access to one. Ours is so sharp, deburring the edge of the precision cut it produces is "almost" an option. At home though, I simply use my bandsaw and dress the edge of the stock on a 12" bench sander fitted with 80 grit paper. If need be, the corners are then radiused and the edges polished on a bench grinder fitted with both medium and fine scotchbrite wheels. To prolong the life of my bandsaw blades, on thick stock such as .125 angle stock and thicker, I will use my chop (miter) saw fitted with a metal cutting blade but the cut it produces definitely requires touchup! In summary, I would suggest your next major tool investment be a heavy 12" bench sander such as this good value...I have two of these, one is mounted on a pedestal stand at the hangar and the other one is sitting on a workbench at home...http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7297. I think you'll quickly find its under appreciated utility and unexpected versatility will serve you well in a variety of situations for many years to come.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
shempdowling2(at)earthlin
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

I agree.

do not archive

Shemp/Jeff Dowling
RV-6A, N915JD
235 hours
Chicago/Louisville

---

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
deruiteraircraftservices(
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

A hack saw. 24 or 32 T.P.I blade. TPI = teeth per inch.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
sisson(at)consolidated.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Best way to cut .040 stock Reply with quote

RAS wrote:

Quote:

A hack saw. 24 or 32 T.P.I blade. TPI = teeth per inch.

I used a pair of hand shears. They have about three or four inch cutting
blades with about 9 or 10 inch handles.
they are rusty and old but fresh ground cutting edges. They cut
straight, true, and easy. They leave no marks or metal deforming like
those "Wiss Aviation" snips do. I guess they were old tinners shears. (
I think they are also Wiss) I followed up with a fine file down each
side for one or two strokes and it is smooth. I use them for 4130 steel
also up to about 25 or 30 thousands.
Phil

do not archive
Phil

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next