Stratus EA-81 Alternator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
Billvt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Stratus EA-81 Alternator Reply with quote

I had just replaced my rear seal (again) on the redrive end of the engine.

I ran the engine with the prop removed to check for oil leaks.

Heard a grinding, knocking noise coming from the alternator. Would never be able to hear this with prop on.

Using a stethoscope, identified sound coming from rear of alternator (bearing area)

Removed alternator and disassembled. Rear bearing was dry and scratchy. Removed grease seal on bearing and packed with grease.

Brushes are worn some but seem to have a great deal of life remaining.

Reassembled all and ran again. Noise still slightly there but much quieter than before.

- I would like to replace the alternator
- Mine is and old (built by Reiner Hoffman) engine
- No numbers on alternator just a sticker that says rebuilt by Romaine Electric, Seattle, WA
- Alternator has the square two wire plug plus the large lug for the output

- Has anyone tried to find a source of alternators?
-
- Stratus wants $140 + $40 core charge + S&H
-
- I suppose I could contact Romaine Electric bur I'm not sure what kind of alternator to ask for.
- Other option might be to ship it to Romaine for remanufacture!!!

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bill from VT
601 HDS - Stratus -

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
d3dw(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Stratus EA-81 Alternator Reply with quote

It is usually inexpensive to have a good alternator shop rebuid one, Bill. I have looked for the source of this alternator, too, but didn''t find it, or Romaine. don in Texas.

--> Stratus-List message posted by: Bill Morelli <billvt(at)together.net (billvt(at)together.net)>

[...]

601 HDS - Stratus - -Matt Dralle, List==========
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
gkrysztopik(at)satx.rr.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Stratus EA-81 Alternator Reply with quote

mine went out in-flight years ago. landed with backup battery and
ignition (blew out main contactor and power went out when alt went) and
replaced with one from auto parts store. no problems since.

sorry, can't find purchase info at this time. I think it was around
$100 for identical alt. Maybe ask on Flysoob list for p/n. I think I
asked for Suzuki Samarai alt, maybe Geo Metro too?

Gary Krysztopik
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
San Antonio, TX
On 9/27/2010 6:13 PM, Bill Morelli wrote:
[...]

andynfultz(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Stratus EA-81 Alternator Reply with quote

Bill,

The box mine came in says it's a POWER BUILT brand remanufactured alternator, part number 14684.

Andy F.

--

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
Back to top
bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Stratus EA-81 Alternator Reply with quote

I had mine rebuilt at a local shop at a local shop for about $62.00. Mine is a Nippon Denso alternator used in a industrial fork lift. I tried getting a replacement but it was out of stock at the place I tried. That's when I decided to get it rebult.

On Sep 27, 2010, at 7:13 PM, Bill Morelli wrote:

Quote:

- Has anyone tried to find a source of alternators?
-
- Stratus wants $140 + $40 core charge + S&H
-
- I suppose I could contact Romaine Electric bur I'm not sure what kind of alternator to ask for.
- Other option might be to ship it to Romaine for remanufacture!!!

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bill from VT
601 HDS - Stratus -

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List

Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL, Stratus Subaru.
do not archive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours