Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Help ! Reply with quote

I need your help.

My airplane, N2630J, "Lil Bruiser", a Zodiac 601XL with a William Wynne Corvair engine, was a certified (E-AB), well mannered, flying airplane.  In an off-airport landing, it struck a berm, bending t the nose gear strut, firewall, cabin floor and cowling. The prop was stopped in the horizontal position, so the prop nor engine suffered damage. It is now hangared at Hicks Airfield near Fort Worth, Texas.

Because of my physical condition, I am no longer able to fly, so I know that I will never fly this airplane. Consequently, as you might guess, I have no motivation to repair it myself; and would like to sell it to someone who will fly it.

I have invested around $50,000 in the airplane and I am willing to sell it for $20,000. It will require about $3,000 in parts to repair. So for around $23,000 (less than the cost of a 650 kit and an engine) and around 300 hours of work, a person could have one sweet $50,000 airplane in a relatively short period of time.

I have the XLB upgrade kit, still in the shipping containers that will be furnished to a buyer.

My questions are:

Is trying to sell the airplane as is, where is, reasonable?

If so, how is the best way to go about finding a buyer?

If not, should I consider selling parts, or just sell the whole thing to the salvage yard?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Jay Bannister

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
mhubel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Help ! Reply with quote

Jay,
I would think your best bet it to sell it as is. Since it has flown and has an airworthness certificate, it should be worth more as a package.
I also once damaged the nose wheel and had to streighten up some other metal. It turned out not to be as big a job as was expected. Most of the critical (read not easily replaced) parts could be fixed in place. Everything that needed to be replaced was done in perhaps 50 hours.
I understand that Flight Crafters in Zephyrhills 813-690-1916 will do the upgrade at a very reasonable price. He is also likely to do the repair. I would ask for a ball park estimate. He will probably want a bunch of pictures. He can call me if desired about the issue of this particular repair. Then advertise it as is but show the estimates to make it flyable again.
One thing I would do while waiting is treat the engine for long term storage.
Good luck.

On 08/25/2010 2:11 PM, jaybannist(at)cs.com (jaybannist(at)cs.com) wrote: [quote] I need your help.

My airplane, N2630J, "Lil Bruiser", a Zodiac 601XL with a William Wynne Corvair engine, was a certified (E-AB), well mannered, flying airplane. In an off-airport landing, it struck a berm, bending t the nose gear strut, firewall, cabin floor and cowling. The prop was stopped in the horizontal position, so the prop nor engine suffered damage. It is now hangared at Hicks Airfield near Fort Worth, Texas.

Because of my physical condition, I am no longer able to fly, so I know that I will never fly this airplane. Consequently, as you might guess, I have no motivation to repair it myself; and would like to sell it to someone who will fly it..

I have invested around $50,000 in the airplane and I am willing to sell it for $20,000. It will require about $3,000 in parts to repair. So for around $23,000 (less than the cost of a 650 kit and an engine) and around 300 hours of work, a person could have one sweet $50,000 airplane in a relatively short period of time.

I have the XLB upgrade kit, still in the shipping containers that will be furnished to a buyer.

My questions are:

If not, should I consider selling parts, or just sell the whole thing to the salvage yard?

Jay Bannister

Quote:

--
Mark Hubelbank
NorthEast Monitoring
2 Clock Tower Place
Suite 555
Maynard, MA, 01754 - USA
mhubel(at)nemon.com (mhubel(at)nemon.com)
978-443-3955[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jabiru 3300
Rotec TBI 40-3 carb
Sensenich ground adj prop.
240 hr TAF
Pictures at photo.hubbles.com
jeffrey_davidson(at)earth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Help ! Reply with quote

Jay,
Here is something to think about. Assuming that you have the Repairman Certificate for this plane, it would be much cheaper for the next owner if you repaired the plane and signed it off. Otherwise, the next owner will have to get an A&P involved. So the A&P is extra cost that reduces the value of your aircraft. Also, right now is not exactly a sellers market for airplanes. If you put it back into flying shape, it also will be much more attractive to a buyer and you could charge the market price. That is very likely to be more than what you are asking now.
Jeff D

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of jaybannist(at)cs.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:12 PM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com; zenith601-list(at)matronics.com; corvaircraft(at)mylist.net
Subject: Help !

I need your help.

My airplane, N2630J, "Lil Bruiser", a Zodiac 601XL with a William Wynne Corvair engine, was a certified (E-AB), well mannered, flying airplane. In an off-airport landing, it struck a berm, bending t the nose gear strut, firewall, cabin floor and cowling. The prop was stopped in the horizontal position, so the prop nor engine suffered damage. It is now hangared at Hicks Airfield near Fort Worth, Texas.

Because of my physical condition, I am no longer able to fly, so I know that I will never fly this airplane. Consequently, as you might guess, I have no motivation to repair it myself; and would like to sell it to someone who will fly it.. do not archive

My questions are:

Jay Bannister

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Help ! Reply with quote

Jay,
I think you'd be wise to advertise it at some of the free sites, your
nearest EAA Chapter newsletter and try to sell it as a rebuild. I don't
think it would take too long for
someone to realize the value of your aircraft. It sounds like a good
deal to me, so someone will probably jump in and buy it. Give it a few
weeks.

Best regards,
Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

jaybannist(at)cs.com wrote:
Quote:
I need your help.

My airplane, N2630J, "Lil Bruiser", a Zodiac 601XL with a William
Wynne Corvair engine, was a certified (E-AB), well mannered, flying
airplane. In an off-airport landing, it struck a berm, bending t the
nose gear strut, firewall, cabin floor and cowling. The prop was
stopped in the horizontal position, so the prop nor engine suffered
damage. It is now hangared at Hicks Airfield near Fort Worth, Texas.

Because of my physical condition, I am no longer able to fly, so I
know that I will never fly this airplane. Consequently, as you might
guess, I have no motivation to repair it myself; and would like to
sell it to someone who will fly it..

I have invested around $50,000 in the airplane and I am willing to
sell it for $20,000. It will require about $3,000 in parts to repair.
So for around $23,000 (less than the cost of a 650 kit and an engine)
and around 300 hours of work, a person could have one sweet $50,000
airplane in a relatively short period of time.

I have the XLB upgrade kit, still in the shipping containers that will
be furnished to a buyer.

My questions are:

If not, should I consider selling parts, or just sell the whole thing
to the salvage yard?

Jay Bannister

bryanmmartin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Help ! Reply with quote

Anybody can make the repairs to this airplane, the repairman certificate is only required to sign off the annual condition inspection. In this case, the new owner could do all of the repairs and Jay might offer to inspect the work and sign it off as part of the deal.

On Aug 25, 2010, at 7:23 PM, Jeff wrote:

Quote:
Jay,
Here is something to think about. Assuming that you have the Repairman Certificate for this plane, it would be much cheaper for the next owner if you repaired the plane and signed it off. Otherwise, the next owner will have to get an A&P involved. So the A&P is extra cost that reduces the value of your aircraft. Also, right now is not exactly a sellers market for airplanes. If you put it back into flying shape, it also will be much more attractive to a buyer and you could charge the market price. That is very likely to be more than what you are asking now.
Jeff D

--
Bryan Martin
N61BM, CH 601 XL,
RAM Subaru, Stratus re-drive.
do not archive.

do not archive.
jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Help ! Reply with quote

Bryan,

You are correct. If my airplane were repaired by a new owner, there would be no need to involve an A&P. I do have a Repairman's Certificate and would offer to do a condition inspection after the repairs are completed. The original operating limitations would still apply, except for the Phase 1 test area, which would come from the local FSDO. .

Jay

--

jeffrey_davidson(at)earth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Help ! Reply with quote

That is certainly correct Bryan. I just don't think that I would want to do
that, but Jay might.
Jeff

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: