Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High water temps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rans-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASchlem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: High water temps Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble controlling the water temperature on a 582 in my S10. The cowling is cut and baffled for the radiator like the building manual describes. I'm seeing 180 to 185 deg. If I remove the cowling the temps only reach 165 deg. Any and all suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Aaron

- The Matronics Rans-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rans-List
ASchlem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: High water temps Reply with quote

The cowling has an aluminum lip riveted infront of the exit cutout. The cutout is 19 1/2''x 3'' under the aft end of the radiator. Under the muffler there is about a 1/2'' gap between the bottom of the firewall and the cowling. I replaced the old engine with a new model 99 and also replaced the radiator and all of the hoses and overflow/filler neck. I have also made certain that all of the air has been bled out of the cooling system. I have run the engine for 20hr, some of it in the air. On a 90deg day it will reach 185deg on climb out and go down to 175+ish in cruise. I have gone around the pattern with the cowling off and it never goes above 165/170. Do others have a larger exit cutout? I read that a 2 to 1 exhaust to intake ratio is ideal.
Thanks Aaron

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ASchlem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: High water temps Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. I changed the angle of the exit cowling lip aft ward, this seemed to have little to no effect. Another guy at the club has a instrument that checks thermal couples but it must be some other type of sending unit. Does anyone know what
type it is or how to check it? Also I hooked up cht's and even with 185deg water temps the cylinders did not get above 250deg they averaged 210/225. Is this acceptable? The CPS book says water temp gages only show how efficient the radiator setup is not if it is effective. Do you think mine is effective enough? Why does Rotax say the max water temp is 175 but the cylinder temp range is 225 to 275. I know the head is hotter than the coolant but if the cht is good am I good?
Thanks everyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rans-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: