Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spare parts source

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Spare parts source Reply with quote

Hi guys,

For you who fly behind the Stratus Subaru or just do dual ignition on
one of the varieties,

I’ve been revisiting my engine wiring and found my ignition coil plates
are rusty from the moist air coming thru the cowl. Having spares has
real merit because spare parts are often discontinued after 10 years or
so. Ignition coils purchased nearly 8years ago for $35.00 each are now
$93.00. Useful alternatives to the pricey Echlin IC107 coils can be
found by searching for coils used on a 1987-1990 Mitsubishi wagon or
van. The equivalent parts are easier to find at $30.00 and up. I chose
O’Rielly’s Auto Parts on line and they have 4 sources for this coil.
I’ve maintained a spares box for all things consumable, brake pads,
bungees, fuel lines, scat tube etc, and after only 157 hours of flight,
I guess coils are next.

Fly safe guys,

Larry McFarland Zenith 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

- The Matronics Stratus-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
d3dw(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Spare parts source Reply with quote

Mine have been rusty forever...here in the humid country of East Texas. I heard that the rust on the coils is not a big deal. Maybe you can educate me on this a little more. don

Thanks for the info on the spares.

To: zenith-list <zenith-list(at)matronics.com>; stratus-list <stratus-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Tue, June 8, 2010 11:38:07 AM
Subject: Spare parts source

--> Stratus-List message posted by: Larry McFarland <larry(at)macsmachine.com (larry(at)macsmachine.com)>

Hi guys,

For you who fly behind the Stratus Subaru or just do dual ignition on one of the varieties,

I’ve been revisiting my engine wiring and found my ignition coil plates are rusty from the moist air coming thru the cowl. Having spares has real merit because spare parts are often discontinued after 10 years or so. Ignition coils purchased nearly 8years ago for $35.00 each are now $93.00. Useful alternatives to the pricey Echlin IC107 coils can be found by searching for coils used on a 1987-1990 Mitsubishi wagon or van. The equivalent parts are easier to find at $30.00 and up. I chose O’Rielly’s Auto Parts on line and they have 4 sources for this coil. I’ve maintained a spares box for all things consumable, brake pads, bungees, fuel lines, scat tube etc, and after only 157 hours of flight, I guess coils are next.

Fly safe guys,

Larry McFarland Zenith 601HDS at

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Spare parts source Reply with quote

Hi Don,
I don't think at this stage, the rust on the coils is any issue of
concern. I do think because ignition coils are one of the few items that
fail and are cause for having two,
it is probably prudent to have an extra one or two in the box as
available spares. Just for price and availability.

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

Don Walker wrote:
Quote:
Mine have been rusty forever...here in the humid country of East
Texas. I heard that the rust on the coils is not a big deal. Maybe you
can educate me on this a little more. don

Thanks for the info on the spares.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*To:* zenith-list <zenith-list(at)matronics.com>; stratus-list
<stratus-list(at)matronics.com>
*Sent:* Tue, June 8, 2010 11:38:07 AM
*Subject:* Spare parts source

<larry(at)macsmachine.com <mailto:larry(at)macsmachine.com>>

Hi guys,

For you who fly behind the Stratus Subaru or just do dual ignition on
one of the varieties,

I’ve been revisiting my engine wiring and found my ignition coil
plates are rusty from the moist air coming thru the cowl. Having
spares has real merit because spare parts are often discontinued after
10 years or so. Ignition coils purchased nearly 8years ago for $35.00
each are now $93.00. Useful alternatives to the pricey Echlin IC107
coils can be found by searching for coils used on a 1987-1990
Mitsubishi wagon or van. The equivalent parts are easier to find at
$30.00 and up. I chose O’Rielly’s Auto Parts on line and they have 4
sources for this coil. I’ve maintained a spares box for all things
consumable, brake pads, bungees, fuel lines, scat tube etc, and after
only 157 hours of flight, I guess coils are next.

Fly safe guys,

Larry McFarland Zenith 601HDS at
<http://www.macsmachsp;+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0+-Matt+Dr=============%3CBR%3E%3CBR%3E%3CBR%3E%3CBR%3E%3C/DIV%3E%3C/DIV%3E%3C/div%3E%3C/body%3E%0A%3Cpre%3E%3Cb%3E%3Cfont%20size=2%20color=>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Stratus-List
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Spare parts source Reply with quote

Just a perspective from an Ex stratus flyer..but LONG LONG time tinkerer...Mostly trying to find a way to keep the valves in the heads before the engine tried to kill me again!

The standard Subaru ignitor chips are hopelessly feeble..In fact I seem to remember comparing the measured primary coil resistance and comparing it to the subaru Brat specs for the Subaru coil. if memory serves, it was about half of what the sooby spec was.

What this means is two things..

1) In the steady state condition (like you turn the ignition on and then started the engine) the ignitor chip is switching somewhere close to twice the current it was designed for..Needless to say this puts a LOT more stress on the ignitor chip.

2) If the IC107 works then I bet there are hundreds of coils out there that could be made to work in the same application..

This is why it is important to get off the Sooby ignitor chips ASAP if you haven't done so already. When I sold the plane some 3 or 4 years back it was running dual GM ignitor chips (with a third spare mounted on the same plate that I could swap to if one died on a X country trip). Those things are bullet proof..i even took an old one and shorted it out..This would instantly kill a $300 Sooby ignitor chip, the GM worked perfectly after said abuse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Stratus-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: