The Certified LSA Pioneers that have gone before me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
DrHook

Joined: 06 Apr 2006
Location: Knights Landing CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: The Certified LSA Pioneers that have gone before me Reply with quote

The Goal:
Get all certificates that would be required to get my Sports Pilot Licence Cerificate, during the Re-build of the Firestar project at hand.

OK so, I am a new member of EAA as of yesterday. So thats a start.
And there is no dought, I am in the right place, Here to get the advice to do that.

So for you guys that have done this and or are doing this. Can you steer me in the most practicle, "affordable", easiest way to do this.
I have been reading up on, and will continue to read-up on the things required.
So, yes I could search the archives and probably find the answers I need here.
but hoping some of you guys got the answers and advice at your fingertips.
So I suppose, what I need to help me is, the order in which to do things and what exactly to do.
EAA has this Homebuilt Certification Kit, Here are the details for this kit.

March 30, 2006 - EAA's new Amateur-Built Aircraft Certification Kit includes everything you need to register and certificate a new experimental amateur-built aircraft. The 15-page, step-by-step Certification Guide walks you through the entire process-from getting an N number to the aircraft inspection-and provides samples of how to complete each required form.
EAA staff member and Amateur-Built DAR Joe Norris, who reviewed all of the materials included in the kit, commented, "Whenever I inspect an aircraft for certification, the paperwork is what causes delays more often than anything on the aircraft. This guide will make a homebuilder's inspection go a lot easier."

The certification kit also includes all FAA forms, Experimental sticker (in black), dataplate, and a convenient placard decal sheet. Cost for EAA members is $12.99 plus shipping. The kit is also available for non-members for $19.99 plus shipping. To order, call EAA Membership Services at 800/JOIN EAA (564-6322), or visit http://shop.eaa.org.

For $12.99 I think this will help me out, big time.
So here is an aricle that caught my I as well. Its from an older Plane & Pilot magazine.

Traditional kit planes regulations required that the owner and/or builder construct a minimum of 51% of the aircraft, which would take hundreds of hours of labor. The new sport experimental rules, on the other hand, only call for the builder to participate and sign off that he or she has played a part in making the aircraft airworthy. The builder also needs to attend formal training classes to earn a repairman’s certificate for minor maintenance, but the whole process is much less time-consuming than it has been in the past.

EAA has these Repairmen LSA Workshops.
Will I have to take this $300.00 16hr class?

So there it is, any help, advice and guidance would be Mucho appriciated,
Thanks Chris

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Kolb Firestar owner, Rebuild-Recover job at hand.
kfackler(at)ameritech.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: The Certified LSA Pioneers that have gone before me Reply with quote

Quote:
>get my Sports Pilot Licence Cerificate
>Can you steer me in the most practicle, "affordable", easiest way to do
this.

Dear Chris:

I am no expert, however last month's Aero Connections magazine (the magazine
produced by ASC), has an article called something like "Sport Pilot on a
Shoestring." It appears to provide some good getting started advice with
lots of websites where you can explore further.

Good luck!

-Ken Fackler
Kolb Mark II / A722KWF
Rochester MI

do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
herbgh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: The Certified LSA Pioneers that have gone before me Reply with quote

--------
Kolb Firestar owner, Rebuild-Recover job at hand.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: The Certified LSA Pioneers that have gone before me Reply with quote

---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
Dave Pelletier

Location: Prescott, Arizona

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: The Certified LSA Pioneers that have gone before me Reply with quote

Quote:
So for you guys that have done this and or are doing this. Can you steer
me in the most practicle, "affordable", easiest way to do this.

Chris,

Ok, I'm in the process and here's what its cost me so far:

-- $12.99 for EAA's Conversion Guide "How to register and certify your
Ultralight as an Experimental Light-Sport Aircraft."

-- $90.00 to take the Sport Pilot Knowledge Test

-- $5.00 to FAA for my "N" Number

-- $450 for the Airworthiness Certificate.

I still have to do the Following:

-- $??? Arizona registration

-- $??? Arizona Sales Tax

-- $??? Practical Test

-- $300.00 16 Hour Maintenance Course

Quote:
March 30, 2006 - EAA's new Amateur-Built Aircraft Certification Kit
includes everything you need to register and certificate a new
experimental amateur-built aircraft. The 15-page, step-by-step
Certification Guide walks you through the entire process-from getting an N
number to the aircraft inspection-and provides samples of how to complete
each required form.

This is a very helpful publication and worthwhile. But the one I have is
NOT Experimental Amateur-Built but IS Experimental Light-Sport --- there is
a difference.

"Whenever I inspect an aircraft for certification, the paperwork is what
causes delays more often than anything on the aircraft. This guide will make
a homebuilder's inspection go a lot easier."

I can agree with this. The DAR who inspected my MK III just sent me a
corrected copy of the FAA form 8130-6 (Airworthiness Certificate) because
"it had a typo." The form he sent me to sign has four mistakes in it.

Quote:
The certification kit also includes all FAA forms, Experimental sticker
(in black), dataplate, and a convenient placard decal sheet. Cost for EAA
members is $12.99 plus shipping. The kit is also available for non-members
for $19.99 plus shipping. To order, call EAA Membership Services at
800/JOIN EAA (564-6322), or visit http://shop.eaa.org.

Quote:
EAA has these Repairmen LSA Workshops. Will I have to take this $300.00
16hr class?

As I understand it, if you register Experimental Amateur Built, you don't
have to take the class. But If you register Experimental LSA, you need to
take the class to sign off inspections and do maintenance. But the
advantage is that the next owner can also take the class and not have to use
an A & E guy to sign off stuff. Check with EAA to be sure of this.

Good Luck,
AzDave

Do Not Archive
Quote:

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
AzDave
Roger Lee

Location: Tucson, Az.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Certified LSA Pioneers that have gone before me Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Az. Registration $25 every year
Az. Sales tax, none
Practicle test $350, Terry Brandt in Buckeye, Az.
16 hr. course through EAA was $300 + food, travel. Took mine in Riverside, Ca.

All done.
Piece of cake. One day at a time.

Take Care,
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.

see you next month in MV

p.s.
Give me a call if you need info about any of the certs.
520-574-1080

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours