Aileron balance weights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
rmacpunk(at)netzero.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Has anyone put in an inspection panel to access the balance weights? My wing is not painted yet and don't wish to paint with the ailerons attached. Possible panel under weights or in lower wing tip. Ideas? Bob
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
bill.pagan(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Haven't finished the upgrade yet (working on it) but was planning on an inspection panel same as under the bellcrank.

Bill Pagan

Has anyone put in an inspection panel to access the balance weights? My wing is not painted yet and don't wish to paint with the ailerons attached. Possible panel under weights or in lower wing tip. Ideas? Bob
[quote][b][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
countzero

Joined: 25 Oct 2007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Is there a reason why lead could not be used for the balance weight? It looks like a smaller lead weight could be extracted through the hole in the aft spar without removing the balance arm.

Rob

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
paulrod36(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Good God, man, have you lost your mind? Lead weights, just because they'd be smaller than steel ones? Don't you know that lead is EVIL?  The EPA  goes to great lengths to protect us from us, outlawing lead in gasoline, making pilots use 100 -low-lead, even so far as requiring handymen, remodelers and other such professions to go to training classes before they work on any house built before 1975 because they might have lead based paint in them. California has protected us from us by outlawing lead balance weights on cars. And you want to fly through the air, spreading your evil lead molecules over the peaceful bunnies, and Bambi, and itty bitty children? You fiend! Someone should report you to the Society For The Protection of Political Correctness before you go rampaging through our delicate planet, plotting who-knows-what. There's no telling what might happen if that lead weight were to fall off your plane, and bounce off an elementary school before sliding down a sidewalk in front of a convent, and ending up in a pond. That lead weight might leach out its lead into the aquifer, and might poison millions of people.    Somebody stop this man before he digs an oil well or builds a coal-fired electrical plant!!!  It's bad enough that Cessna, Beech and Piper use lead balance weights, now he wants to contaminate a Zenith.  Oh, the humanity.............

(Obviously, I don't have much to do today.)
Yeah, it would work pretty good.

Paul R

Quote:
Subject: Re: Aileron balance weights
From: robyboy(at)hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 05:48:46 -0800
To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com

--> Zenith601-List message posted by: "countzero" <robyboy(at)hotmail.com>

Is there a reason why lead could not be used for the balance weight? It looks like a smaller lead weight could be extracted through the hole in the aft spar without removing the balance arm.

Rob

&gt

[quote]

Quote:
[b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
DaveG601XL

Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Oh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Bob,

I made wingtip inspection panels when I originally built my 601 to access the strobe packs. I guess I will be able to also get to the counter-weight bolts to remove ailerons.

Dave

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

Upgrade_29.jpg
 Filesize:  104.99 KB
 Viewed:  16793 Time(s)

Upgrade_29.jpg

_________________
David Gallagher
Cincinnati, OH area
daveaustin2(at)primus.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Best note that I've read on here for quite a while!!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
pbaker4(at)windstream.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

I used lead on the inside of the tube to a depth of about 6 inches, then it only took a couple of plates to completely
balance the control. then I widened the opening in the rear
spar just a little bit. now if needed I can simply slide the
balance tube with weights on, no need for an inspection
plate. The wings are on and everything is hooked up .I will
be flying this week after a final weight and balance is done.

paul baker 601xl "the T model"
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
LHusky

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Location: Madras, Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Paul, I would not mind seeing some pictures of that setup. Very Interesting

Larry Husky
Madras, Oregon

====================================
t href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
====================================
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
====================================
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
====================================

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
bill.pagan(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

I see Paul signs his email with "The T model"
Was it ever officially decided what the "upgraded" 601's would be designated as? Don't recall seeing any final tally after we had the chance to vote.

Bill Pagan

I used lead on the inside of the tube to a depth of about 6 inches, then it only took a couple of plates to completely
balance the control. then I widened the opening in the rear
spar just a little bit. now if needed I can simply slide the
balance tube with weights on, no need for an inspection
plate. The wings are on and everything is hooked up .I will
be flying this week after a final weight and balance is done.

paul baker 601xl "the T model"
[b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
paulrod36(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Interesting question, Bill, far as I know there hasn't been an announcement.  I would think the simplest thing would be  to call it a 601XL-B, in keeping with other manufacturers' model series.

Paul R

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 06:40:14 -0800
From: bill.pagan(at)yahoo.com
To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com

.ExternalClass DIV {;}
I see Paul signs his email with "The T model"
Was it ever officially decided what the "upgraded" 601's would be designated as?  Don't recall seeing any final tally after we had the chance to vote.

Bill Pagan

I used lead on the inside of the tube to a depth of about 6 inches, then it only took a couple of plates to completely
balance the control. then I widened the opening in the rear
spar just a little bit. now if needed I can simply slide the
balance tube with weights on, no need for an inspection
plate. The wings are on and everything is hooked up .I will
be flying this week after a final weight and balance is done.

paul baker 601xl  "the T model"
[/b][quote]

st">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
Louie928

Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Location: Mosier, OR USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

I did put an access hole under the aileron balance weights. It is 110mm x 220mm which is large enough for me to remove the weights to install or remove the weights. Also, a good idea to use lead and fewer plates so they can fit through a larger hole in the rear spar. Maybe a doubler around the larger hole would be advisable.

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

Aileron balance access.jpg
 Filesize:  65.77 KB
 Viewed:  16722 Time(s)

Aileron balance access.jpg

_________________
Louis W. Ott

601XL-B Corvair
dalemed

Joined: 25 Dec 2007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

pbaker4(at)windstream.net wrote:
I used lead on the inside of the tube to a depth of about 6 inches, then it only took a couple of plates to completely
balance the control. then I widened the opening in the rear
spar just a little bit. now if needed I can simply slide the
balance tube with weights on, no need for an inspection
plate. The wings are on and everything is hooked up .I will
be flying this week after a final weight and balance is done.

I was thinking of a similar approach but hadn't thought about putting lead inside the square tube. How did you do that?

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

_________________
Dale
Zenith Zodiac CH650
craig(at)craigandjean.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Lead has a very low melting point. I recall as a kid melting some old lead
plumbing fittings on a Coleman stove. But I would try hard to avoid any
fumes.

-- Craig

--

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
psm(at)att.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I used to make, and sell, lead bullets in days gone by . . .

Lead melts around 700 degrees F. This is easily done on any kitchen stove
using a cast iron pan. I don't think it creates any vapor at temperatures
you can make with normal equipment so the fumes are not a problem.

On the other hand, if you get your lead from the junk yard it is covered
with all sorts of stuff that will create an unpleasant aroma when heated to
700 degrees.

Don't use an aluminum pot for this - it will melt and damage your stove.
Aluminum melts under 1000 degrees F.

For comparison, steel melts around 2000 degrees, and iron around 5000.

I wouldn't worry about melting the aluminum tube when pouring lead into it
since you will do this at close to 700 degrees. If you already have a bolt
or pin going thru the middle of the tube the lead will be held in place when
it hardens.

On my first aileron I only needed 4 of the steel plates to balance the whole
thing. This might be equivalent to a very small amount of lead. The
problem I see with the lead weights is mostly figuring out how much lead to
use before pouring it.

Good luck,

Paul
XL - installing upgrade kit

--

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
Z601c(at)anemicaardvark.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 13:36:57 you wrote:
Quote:

Hi guys,

I used to make, and sell, lead bullets in days gone by . . .
<snip>

The thing I do remember about lead is that it not only melts easily, it's easy
to spill. Boy, does it burn when it hits the skin!
Jim B. Belcher
BS,MS Physics
A&P/IA
General Radio Telephone Certificate
Instrument Rated Pilot
Retired Aerospace Technical Manager
Semi-proficient Househusband

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

do not archive

" The problem I see with the lead weights is mostly figuring out how much
lead to use before pouring it."

Maybe this will help:

Steel weighs .283 Lbs per cubic inch

Brass weighs .307 lbs. per cubic inch

Lead weighs .409 lbs. per cubic inch

Need a trick to remember this?

Note all weights are Chevy engine displacements!

Regards,

Randy, Las Vegas

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
PatrickW

Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Where do you buy lead these days...?

Patrick
N63PZ

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
daveaustin2(at)primus.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

How about buying some lead shot at the gunsmith's and moulding it in epoxy
to the required shape.
Dave Austin

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
scottbevier

Joined: 19 Jun 2007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Bass Pro, and similar stores have all the lead you'll need.

Scott Bevier
601XL

--

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
craig(at)craigandjean.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance weights Reply with quote

Spruce sells "aviation grade" 1/8th inch lead sheet Smile

-- Craig

--

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next