buck-tooth idiots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

Lucien,

I grew up on a farm in north central Iowa. If anything flew over and
harassed the livestock we would take a shot at the varmit with a 22
rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun. If someone flew over low enough to see the
shape of our teeth, there would be a strong desire to put a hole or two
in the wing. Stupidity should be rewarded with the knowledge that there
are certain behaviors that are not acceptable in rural areas.

The question here is, who is the idot? It is good to know that Texas rural
folk were successful in your re-education.

Yes, you hit a nerve, and yes, now I feel better.

do not archive

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

At 11:18 AM 2/8/10 -0800, you wrote:
Quote:

One of the reasons I'm an altitude man and don't like low-and-slow..... I
worried the most about getting shot at back when I flew my powered

parachute. We flew out in the boonies of TX most of the time and there was
no shortage of buck-tooth idiots around out there who'd not think twice
about shooting at anything that flew over them.
Quote:

Even here I try to fly quietly and as high up as I can reasonably go
without wasting too much gas, etc.......

Quote:

LS

--------
LS
Titan II SS

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
lucien

Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Location: santa fe, NM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne wrote:
Lucien,

I grew up on a farm in north central Iowa. If anything flew over and
harassed the livestock we would take a shot at the varmit with a 22
rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun. If someone flew over low enough to see the
shape of our teeth, there would be a strong desire to put a hole or two
in the wing. Stupidity should be rewarded with the knowledge that there
are certain behaviors that are not acceptable in rural areas.

The question here is, who is the idot? It is good to know that Texas rural
folk were successful in your re-education.

Yes, you hit a nerve, and yes, now I feel better.

do not archive

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

If you were shooting at aircraft who were flying at legal altitudes, I'm with John H and you should still be in jail for your "varmint" hunting.

If they were flying low enough to run your cows and etc., you should have done the _right_ thing and get the authorities on the phone. Handling stuff like that is what they're there for - you pay for em with your tax money, use em!

Who's the idiot? Good question. You know the saying - guns don't kill people, people kill people.

LS

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
LS
Titan II SS
rlaird

Location: Houston

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

After some low-and-slow flying, a local fella returned to the field one day (some years back) during bow-hunting season, and, yep, he had an arrow stuck on the underside of the fuselage of his Hawk.  Talk about an eye opener!

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Jack B. Hart <jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net (jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jack B. Hart" <jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net (jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net)>

Lucien,

I grew up on a farm in north central Iowa.  If anything flew over and
harassed the livestock we would take a shot at the varmit with a 22
rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun.  If someone flew over low enough to see the
shape of our teeth, there would be a strong desire to put a hole or two
in the wing.  Stupidity should be rewarded with the knowledge that there
are certain behaviors that are not acceptable in rural areas.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robert Laird
formerly: MkIIIc w/ 912ULS & Gyrobee
current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Hauck

Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

>> Yes, you hit a nerve, and yes, now I feel better.

Quote:
> Jack B. Hart FF004

I'm with John H
Quote:

LS

Jack H/Gang:

I'm glad Lucien agrees with me.

Here is what I said:

"Be careful how you talk about country folks. There are a bunch of us on
the
Kolb List and we all fly Kolbs."

john hauck
mkIII
M3-011
1992

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
Dave Carr

Location: Central Wisconsin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

Jack. I grew up in North Central Iowa, Charles City to be exact, Class of 1955. I shot quite a few Hawks also (not Haucks) that were harrasing farm animals. I always flew my rental Champ above 1500 feet to insure I wasnt a target for we buck toothed idiots . I guess it depends on whose Ox is being gored.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Dave Carr
EAA Century Club
CAF Life Member
NRA Benafactor
AMA member
lucien

Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Location: santa fe, NM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

Here is what I said:

"Be careful how you talk about country folks. There are a bunch of us on
the
Kolb List and we all fly Kolbs."

john hauck
mkIII
M3-011
1992

BTW, I didn't mean to kick over a hornet's nest on this. Like I said, I'm and old TX country boy for many years, even tho I'm now a proud New Mexican. Dual citizenship is how I think of it.

My only point to Jack was, just because you live out in the country doesn't give you a license to be stupid. 98% of us country folk don't do stupid $$$$ like shoot at aircraft but those of us who do should get their just deserts.

If I offended anyone, my apologies as it wasn't my intent to cast dispersions on my country brethren.

But as Forrest Gump has reminded us: "stupid is as stupid does". And shooting at aircraft with your 12 guage is just plain stupid no matter where you live!

Do not archive

LS

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
LS
Titan II SS
russkinne(at)mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

FWIW and IMHO -- there are times when low flying is necessary;
photography, game surveys, searches for lost children, etc. And it's
great fun, which is probably why most pilots do it. But it can and
does disturb animals, some more than others. Which is why the 1000'
minimum altitude over wildlife refuges. Even at 1000', a Cessna will
sometimes panic flocks of geese, most likely because its planform
resembles a flying hawk.
There are idiots everywhere who will shoot at anything that moves;
they're certainly not just restricted to rural areas. And bad
behavior is really not acceptable anywhere.
I've done a lot of low flying, and yes, I've been shot at, mostly by
duckhunters I didn't know were there. But birdshot won't reach me,
and then I just turn & go elsewhere. No big deal. Not hit yet,
seriously at least, and the hunters got their message across; stay
out of this area.
But I do try to "fly friendly" & not harass people or animals on the
ground. I feel better that way.
Russ K
do not archive

On Feb 9, 2010, at 8:30 AM, Jack B. Hart wrote:

Quote:

<jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net>

Lucien,

I grew up on a farm in north central Iowa. If anything flew over and
harassed the livestock we would take a shot at the varmit with a 22
rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun. If someone flew over low enough to
see the
shape of our teeth, there would be a strong desire to put a hole or
two
in the wing. Stupidity should be rewarded with the knowledge that
there
are certain behaviors that are not acceptable in rural areas.

The question here is, who is the idot? It is good to know that
Texas rural
folk were successful in your re-education.

Yes, you hit a nerve, and yes, now I feel better.

do not archive

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

At 11:18 AM 2/8/10 -0800, you wrote:

> One of the reasons I'm an altitude man and don't like low-and-
> slow..... I
worried the most about getting shot at back when I flew my powered
parachute. We flew out in the boonies of TX most of the time and
there was
no shortage of buck-tooth idiots around out there who'd not think
twice
about shooting at anything that flew over them.

> Even here I try to fly quietly and as high up as I can reasonably go
without wasting too much gas, etc.......

> LS
>
> --------
> LS
> Titan II SS

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

A few years ago a powered para glider decided to circle the golf course
while we were golfing. After a few near misses from golf clubs (yes he was
that low) he decided to move on. you have to wonder if all PPG pilots
are.....

Even in a Kolb we need to consider that some people might not like us
bothering them.

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Dana

Joined: 13 Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

At 12:42 PM 2/9/2010, Richard & Martha Neilsen wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard & Martha Neilsen" <NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net>

A few years ago a powered para glider decided to circle the golf course while we were golfing. After a few near misses from golf clubs (yes he was that low) he decided to move on. you have to wonder if all PPG pilots are.....

Speaking as a PPG pilot as well as a Kolb pilot, I can say that yes, many PPGers are..... but most are responsible. There are idiots in every realm of flight.

-Dana
--
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced...
Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
herbgh(at)nctc.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

The danger with spooking/running cows is that some may be near
delivery...could result in death to cow and calf...or a vet bill if
some is around to catch the problem...

Herb

do not archive...

At 11:42 AM 2/9/2010, you wrote:
Quote:

<NeilsenRM(at)comcast.net>

A few years ago a powered para glider decided to circle the golf
course while we were golfing. After a few near misses from golf
clubs (yes he was that low) he decided to move on. you have to
wonder if all PPG pilots are.....

Even in a Kolb we need to consider that some people might not like
us bothering them.

Rick Neilsen

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: buck-tooth idiots Reply with quote

Hi Russ,
people get het up over all sorts of things. I would not consider flying low myself except over Salisbury Plain where ther is nothing but the army playing soldiers. No one from the field ever flies circuits. Fly away as quietly as possible and do your aeros somewhere else.
We had one guy in a GLIDER who was shot at while on the approach. Luckily he was in a Blanik which is all metal and the shot only made some dings but in a fabric covered plane he may well have been hurt.The gunner was summoned and heavily fined.
Still very hot. Just been out in the bay in a kayak. Great.

Pat

--> Kolb-List message posted by: russ kinne <russkinne(at)mac.com (russkinne(at)mac.com)>

FWIW and IMHO -- there are times when low flying is necessary; photography, game surveys, searches for lost children, etc. And it's great fun, which is probably why most pilots do it. But it can and does disturb animals, some more than others. Which is why the 1000' minimum altitude over wildlife refuges. Even at 1000', a Cessna will sometimes panic flocks of geese, most likely because its planform resembles a flying hawk.
There are idiots everywhere who will shoot at anything that moves; they're certainly not just restricted to rural areas. And bad behavior is really not acceptable anywhere.
I've done a lot of low flying, and yes, I've been shot at, mostly by duckhunters I didn't know were there. But birdshot won't reach me, and then I just turn & go elsewhere. No big deal. Not hit yet, seriously at least, and the hunters got their message across; stay out of this area.
But I do try to "fly friendly" & not harass people or animals on the ground. I feel better that way.
Russ K
do not archive

On Feb 9, 2010, at 8:30 AM, Jack B. Hart wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jack B. Hart" <jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net (jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net)>

Lucien,

I grew up on a farm in north central Iowa. If anything flew over and
harassed the livestock we would take a shot at the varmit with a 22
rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun. If someone flew over low enough to see the
shape of our teeth, there would be a strong desire to put a hole or two
in the wing. Stupidity should be rewarded with the knowledge that there
are certain behaviors that are not acceptable in rural areas.

The question here is, who is the idot? It is good to know that Texas rural
folk were successful in your re-education.

Yes, you hit a nerve, and yes, now I feel better.

do not archive

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

At 11:18 AM 2/8/10 -0800, you wrote:
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "lucien" <lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com (lstavenhagen(at)hotmail.com)>
>
> One of the reasons I'm an altitude man and don't like low-and-slow..... I
worried the most about getting shot at back when I flew my powered
parachute. We flew out in the boonies of TX most of the time and there was
no shortage of buck-tooth idiots around out there who'd not think twice
about shooting at anything that flew over them.

> Even here I try to fly quietly and as high up as I can reasonably go
without wasting too much gas, etc.......

> LS
>
> --------
> LS
> Titan II SS

&ef="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List" sp;--> http://f= - List Contributionsp; &bsp;-->

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours