LED Landing lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
chris Sinfield

Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

Hi Gang

Whilst the leading edges are off I was thinking of how much power the 100W Landing and Taxi lights use.

Has anyone seen a LED replacement globe that would fit in the Standard Zenith Landing /taxi Lights holder? They must use way less power.. My Jab,s Alt puts out 20 Amps total and that would be almost total output in just those 2 items.

Chris.

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Geoff Heap

Location: Lindenwold, New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

Know what you mean Chris. The rotax 912 alternator is the same size. I've resolved to live with it until I'm flying. I'll look at it again then....Geoff

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
paulrod36(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> There is a good substitute for incandescents. Mike McKinsey found an LED light of about 4 inch diameter, (don't know how many LEDs, but a BUNCH) at a truck stop. Truckers use them for a worklight at the fifth wheel. I have no idea what the cost or current draw is, but he has two installed, and they seem to throw a good beam of light. I'm gonna have to start checking the truck stops.

Paul Rodriguez
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
LHusky

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Location: Madras, Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

See if you can get a picture of the installed bulbs. I would like to see them installed.

Larry

In a message dated 1/11/2010 2:56:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, paulrod36(at)msn.com writes:
[quote] There is a good substitute for incandescents. Mike McKinsey found an LED light of about 4 inch diameter, (don't know how many LEDs, but a BUNCH) at a truck stop. Truckers use them for a worklight at the fifth wheel. I have no idea what the cost or current draw is, but he has two installed, and they seem to throw a good beam of light. I'm gonna have to start checking the truck stops.

Paul Rodriguez
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
rsteele(at)rjsit.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

Both the landing lights and the strobes seems like something that
could be easily made. LED circuits tend to be really simple. I've
searched online and the usual suspect web sites and haven't found
anything. I'm wondering if we have any EE's in the group that might
be able to design something. Those $700 LED strobes look to me like
something you could build for $50 in parts and a few hours of time.
Of course if I really knew anything about it, I'd design it myself Sad.

Ron
On Jan 11, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Geoff Heap wrote:

Quote:

<stol10(at)comcast.net>

Know what you mean Chris. The rotax 912 alternator is the same size.
I've resolved to live with it until I'm flying. I'll look at it
again then....Geoff

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 81074#281074

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
paulrod36(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> My ability to take a digital picture, get it into the computer, and then actually append it to an e-mail is roughly the equivalent of a hog reading a wristwatch. But I've seen his installation, and he has them side by side in a single window in the left wing, and said he used the mounting piece provided in the kit. It looks very professional. If he knows from digital pitchers and all like that there, I'll ask him to do it.

Paul R.
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
moorecomp

Joined: 14 Aug 2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

Here are a few links:

Homemade LED light for electric motorcycle:
http://www.instructables.com/id/LED_Motorcycle_Headlight/

Nice selection of LED off road lights:
http://www.responderpse.com/b26-Vision-X-LED-Off-Road-Lights-1.htm

LED strobe kits (could this work on an experimental a/c?):
http://www.responderpse.com/d312-Dual-White-TRI-LED-Hideaway-Kit.htm

Best Regards,
Craig Moore A&P
Mancelona, MI

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
agbeyer(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I have an HDS with a Jabiru 3300 that has been flying for five years. I made my own holder for my Landing/Taxi lights, but I think it is about the same as the "Standard Zenith light holder". I installed standard aircraft Landing/Taxi lights (I think they were 4509's). I also had Aero flash Nav/Strobes (Double flash) with a tail light in the rudder. When flying at night I had to manage the use of the lights so I woud not run the battery down. If I was doing touch & goes and then shut the engine down there might not have been enough power to restart.

I changed to AEROLED's Landing/Taxi lights a couple of years ago. I had the old lights setup like this (One for landing angled down and the other for taxi set level and angled to the right slightly). I would use one light at a time. I set the Led's at the same angles but use both at the same time. They also have a WigWag feature built in. I use the Landing light switch to power both lights for landing and the Taxi light switch for WigWag. They don't draw hardly any current and they are brighter.

I also installed The AEROLED's Nav/Strobe/Tail light combo when they became available. Even though I now had tail lights in the wings I also installed aan LED tail light in the rudder. Now I do not have to manage my power consumption like "The old days".

See attached Pictures.

Regards,

AL from Oshkosh

--> Zenith601-List message posted by: "chris Sinfield" <chris_sinfield(at)yahoo.com.au (chris_sinfield(at)yahoo.com.au)>

Hi Gang

Whilst the leading edges are off I was thinking of how much power the 100W Landing and Taxi lights use.

Has anyone seen a LED replacement globe that would fit in the Standard Zenith Landing /taxi Lights holder? They must use way less power.. My Jab,s Alt puts out 20 Amps total and that would be almost total output in just those 2 items.

Chris.

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

IMG_1521.jpg
 Filesize:  56.52 KB
 Viewed:  13911 Time(s)

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg
 Filesize:  48.93 KB
 Viewed:  13911 Time(s)

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg
 Filesize:  49.72 KB
 Viewed:  13911 Time(s)

IMG_1589.jpg

Back to top
Ianrat

Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

I have played around with some of the LED,s on the market to try to do what you are asking.
The major problem is that all of the drivers that are readily available put out interference at about 120 meg and this is right were our radios are. All I could get was a lot of noise (I also got some bright lights) but could not use them. I have done the same as Al has done and bitten the bullet and installed the Airoled wing flashers and the landing lights. I was lucky and got mine last year at Oshkosh cheap.
The only difference is that I have put one light in each wing

Ianrat
CH601XL
Brisbane Australia

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
backstagelive(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

If you are looking for LED strobes, go to E-bay and type in "LED Strobe".
You won't believe the selection to choose from! Does anyone know how you can
make a plastic teardrop lens? What are the regs for strobe placement,
visibility, etc? This was something I wanted to play with but I'm not that
far along with the project yet. The one I like the best is Ebay#
180454805251

Joe in Oshkosh

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
slook(at)mchsi.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

After looking at vacu-forming and other stuff, I decided I would just
make a teardrop mold and encapsulate the whole deal including some
mounting studs in clear Castolite.
That gets you away from making lens and bezels. It makes for an
unserviceable unit but it should last practically forever. Haven't
done this yet but that's the current plan anyway.

Steve

At 10:46 AM 1/13/2010, you wrote:
Quote:

Does anyone know how you can make a plastic teardrop lens?

Steve Look
Monticello, IL
www.ilrt66.com
"Dogs have owners, Cats have staff"

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
psm(at)att.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I've been trying to stay out of this line of conversation, but I feel I must
make a comment on your idea of potting the whole light assembly.

If you do that, you might run into serious problems with heat build-up.
While LEDs are very efficient compared to incandescent bulbs, they still are
not 100 percent efficient and will generate heat. This problem gets worse
since the light outputs you need are incredibly high to meet the FAA
requirements - at least in the case of collision avoidance. This problem
will be naturally less if you have your light fixture filled with air and
vented rather than a solid structure.

I think you will find vacuum forming of a plastic lens an easy process. You
just have to heat the plastic enough so it sags and then form it against the
properly shaped mold. The required temperatures are pretty low - achievable
in a kitchen oven.

Good luck,

Paul
XL awaiting upgrade kit
(retired electrical engineer)
--

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Back to top
tigerrick(at)mindspring.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: LED Landing lights Reply with quote

Hi, Steve!

I've been following this thread with some interest, as I've been active in the high-intensity LED based position light, strobe, and landing light market in the last few years.

One of the issues with any kind of atmosphere captured inside an LED unit outer lens is the propensity for condensation. If you looked at some of the units mounted on wingtips at the Glasair outdoor display area at OSH this last year, there was a fair amount of water at each end of the lens. And moisture and electronics don't mix too well.

What you're describing, potting the components and circuitry in clear plastic is spot on, and is what Aveo Engineering has been doing from the outset with their units.

You might want to go look at their website before recreating the wheel and doing it yourself. Just a friendly suggestion!

Rick Lindstrom
First Light Aviation Group
Livermore, CA
--

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours