Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
herbgh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

Kolb Guys were likely in Florida last week... Try their phone... They
always answer... They walk around with these little wires sticking out of
their heads.. Smile Herb

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:37:58 -0700 "DrHook" <csgale(at)yahoo.com> writes:
Quote:

I am trying to fix the damaged nose fairing on my Firestar. Its
pretty buggered up and was wondering how much a new one would cost
me.
I have checked the New Kolb Aircrafts Website, and even E-mailed for
a pricelist, to no avail.
Anybody know how or where to look for stuff?
There are some other specific Firestar parts I will be replacing
during the re-build.
Thanks Chris

--------
Kolb Firestar owner, Rebuild-Recover job at hand.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

| I have checked the New Kolb Aircrafts Website, and even E-mailed
for a pricelist, to no avail.
| Thanks Chris

Call Travis, Kolb Parts, tomorrow morning bight and early.

The Kolb Team has been away to S&F. When that happens, things slow
down a bit.

john h
mkIII

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
jindoguy(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

Dr. , When doing fiberglass work, the rule is that you can put epoxy over
polyester, but not polyester over epoxy. Bondo is polyester. You can use it,
but eventually it is going to bubble up and then start to flake off taking
your paint job with it. Better to mix up what is known as heavy micro. Order
Micro ballons from Spruce, Wick's or a local supplier. Mix up a small batch
of epoxy (1/4 cup max) add micro balloons until it has the consistancy of
stiff cream (always wear a face mask when using micro balloons, they're tiny
glass bubbles) and apply with a squeegee. Put on a nicely skimmed, thin
layer. The next day, sand, and repeat until you have the surface you're
ready to prime. If you have lots of pin holes (you WILL) use pure epoxy
applied with a single edge razor blade as a squeegee to fill them. This may
take several applications, too.
If you ever wondered about it, it generally takes longer to fill and smooth
a Long EZ or Varieze than it does to build the entire stucture of the
aircraft, it just depends on what you want the finished product to look
like.

On 4/17/06, DrHook <csgale(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

Ya, But I got the Golden Egg!!! This little girl was about to grab it, so
I pushed her down, and grabbed it myself [Laughing]
OK, OK your right Mike, But you only seen the good side of it.
On the inside,
I was able to take a couple of strips of 4oz. fibrglass cloth and 30 min
epoxy on 2 of the real bad rips in it and it seems like it is going to work.
I cleaned the suface with acetone, then sanded and the epoxy has really
bonded.
There are going to be some pretty bad gaps, on the outside though.
What would you suggest? Can I use some kind of bondo?
I am going to re-inforce the area's where it attach'es to the fuse cage
using the fiberglass-epoxy strip and I guess I better do the same around the
Top where I will need to attach the new short windsheild.
But still, Is there a parts list for the Firestar from Kolb?

Thanks for the nudge, Mike and Bob.
I couldn't find spell check here, So please, grade me on the curve Very Happy

--------
Kolb Firestar owner, Rebuild-Recover job at hand.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=3D28877#28877

--
Rick Girard
"Pining for a home on the Range"

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
biglar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

Don't use Bondo. Poly-Fiber makes a product called "Super Fil" that is a
lightweight epoxy/microballoon mix that sands out to a feather edge and is
quite strong - but not to be used where structural strength is needed. You
could also order microballoons from System 3 or Gougeon (sp ??) and mix your
own. For structural repairs, I'd use silica or chopped glass as a filler,
or even, since it'll probably be painted, wood flour. I haven't worked much
with the 30 minute epoxies, mainly because of my understanding of their
being less than ideal over long term or some conditions of
humidity/moisture. System 3 has some excellent literature available. Jim
and Dondi will probably have Super Fil; for other products, I've been using
Jamestown Distributors in RI with pleasure and success for some time.
Lar.

Larry Bourne
Palm Springs, CA
Building Kolb Mk III
N78LB Vamoose
www.gogittum.com
---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Larry Bourne
Palm Springs, CA
Building Kolb Mk IIIC
"Vamoose"
biglar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

There ya have it.......more complete answer than mine. This answer appeared
just after I clicked the 'send' button. Thanks, Richard.
Do not Archive.

Larry Bourne
Palm Springs, CA
Building Kolb Mk III
N78LB Vamoose
www.gogittum.com

---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Larry Bourne
Palm Springs, CA
Building Kolb Mk IIIC
"Vamoose"
a58r(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

If you'd need a lot of Bondo, it weighs a lot..use micro balloons
which cost more but weigh next to nothing.
regards,
Bob N.
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/ronoy/

do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
slyck(at)frontiernet.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

Quote:

Why are you using Epoxy....instead of Fiberglass "Resin" w/hardener?
The hardware store 30 minute epoxy isn't too bad. The 5 minute stuff

is worthless.
It should be used with either random mat or woven. Ok for an internal
reinforcing patch on a crack or split.
I used the "AlphaPoxy" laminating resin from ACSpruce for my nose plug.
A gallon will do a lot of work.

The polyester resins used in the bondo type compounds will shrink and
debond with exposure to light and heat. If used as a cosmetic filler
the
ones with the chopped glass in them like "Tiger Hair" are ok.

For smoothing fussy little low spots a quick hardening polyester spot
putty
like EverCoat Spot-Lite is handy.
-BB

Quote:
...I think I

would grind that epoxy out of there....and do all the repairs with
fiberglass

...that would be the strongest...I think the epoxy would separate after

some flexing...

Some repairs call for "chopping" up the fiberglass cloth....kind of
laying

it down like that plywood stuff....
Parts List...? Call Kolb...
Gotta Fly...
Mike in MN
DrHook wrote:
> Ya, But I got the Golden Egg!!! This little girl was about to grab
> it, so I pushed her down, and grabbed it myself [Laughing]
> OK, OK your right Mike, But you only seen the good side of it.
> On the inside,
> I was able to take a couple of strips of 4oz. fibrglass cloth and 30
> min epoxy on 2 of the real bad rips in it and it seems like it is
> going to work.
> I cleaned the suface with acetone, then sanded and the epoxy has
> really bonded.
> There are going to be some pretty bad gaps, on the outside though.
> What would you suggest? Can I use some kind of bondo?
> I am going to re-inforce the area's where it attach'es to the fuse
> cage using the fiberglass-epoxy strip and I guess I better do the
> same around the Top where I will need to attach the new short
> windsheild.
> But still, Is there a parts list for the Firestar from Kolb?
>
> Thanks for the nudge, Mike and Bob.
> I couldn't find spell check here, So please, grade me on the curve Very Happy
--------
.
.
.
.
.Do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Steve Boetto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

In a message dated 4/17/2006 9:00:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jindoguy(at)gmail.com writes:

Micro ballons from Spruce, Wick's or a local supplier. Mix up a small batch
of epoxy (1/4 cup max) add micro balloons until it has the consistency of
stiff cream (always wear a face mask when using micro balloons, they're tiny
glass bubbles) and apply with a squeegee. Put on a nicely skimmed, thin
layer. The next day, sand, and repeat until you have the surface you're
ready to prime. If you have lots of pin holes (you WILL) use pure epoxy
applied with a single edge razor blade as a squeegee to fill them. This may
take several applications, too.
If you ever wondered about it, it generally takes longer to fill and smooth
a Long EZ or Varieze than it does to build the entire structure of the
aircraft, it just depends on what you want the finished product to look
like.

After building a Long Ez to Show Quality I think I can comment on this.
Epoxy and polyester can be compatible in any case as long as the preparation is
ok. If you have a crushed part like a nose, there are several ways to repair
it depending on the specifics. I repaired a wheelpant once and it looked
better than the other one. feel free to call me during daytime office hours at
407 947 0708 and I will try to help. Depending on your specifics it can be a
lengthy topic.

Steve B
Firefly #007

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
DrHook

Joined: 06 Apr 2006
Location: Knights Landing CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

Hey, I just noticed there are two Threads here with the same subject that I posted. So thanks guys and sorry for not replying, Herb, John, Rick, Larry, Bob & Steve.
So I will post back in both, I guess. Here is what I ended up doing and replying back to Mike.

Its all good, Mike
I got the day off yesterday, and went to town, to OSH and found this glass bondo stuff that has shredded peices of fiberglass in it, with a tube of hardener. It works great, and it was only $8.95 for a can of it.
Per instructions I cut some peices of 4oz fiberglass cloth on the real bad whole and rips that I didnt use the epoxy, on the inside of the nose fairing, and filled the wholes & cracks on the outside.
It bonds really well, and drying time is quick. I just got some small Voids to fill in, and its all about primer & paint.
The epoxy I used was 30 min epoxy, and I know that stuff is not going anywhere.
I think I spent more time just pondering on weather or not to fix it or re-place it, than it took me to get it done.
Bob E-mailed me with some suggestions on primer & paint thats I will try.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Kolb Firestar owner, Rebuild-Recover job at hand.
jindoguy(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

Well darn, Doc. If I'd known you hadn't done the patch yet, I'd have given
you some tips to save a lot of finish work.
Safety first. Always wear saftey glasses when working with epoxy of any
kind. The hardner is a corrosive agent and a splash in the eye will cause
significant damage if not blind you. The doctors in the ER may minimize the
damage but they cannot reverse it. Always wear protection on your hands, I
use Nitrile gloves after I've smeared on a good layer of liquid gloves.
Epoxy causes a rash like reaction on the skin. Some people are more
sensitive than others, but the reaction can be severe enough to lead to
shock and death. If you are not sensitvie, you can create the sensitivity by
repeated exposure. Work in a well ventilated area, the fumes, even from low
odor epoxy can bring on a reaction, too. It sounds scary, but like most
things, it's just a matter of common sense and good work habits.
The Good Doctor got the surface prep correct. You can't make a chemical bond
between the old substrate and the new 'glass, you'll have to settle for a
good mechanical bond, so rough up the area at least 2" on either side of the
area to be patched. 220 grit sandpaper is the stuff to use but make sure it
has no stearates in it as that will effect bond strength.
You need a couple of other things besides fiberglass and resin to make the
repair EZ to finish. Saran wrap, or other plastic sheeting, Peel Ply ( 100%
polyester cloth ), and a few 1" chip brushes for stippling the resin up
through the cloth. you can buy peel ply at the fabric shop, it's known as
dress sheathing. If you buy it there, make sure it has no sizing agent
applied to it. Sizing agents contain silicone and will ruin the bond
strength of the patch and make further repairs or painting very difficult,
if not impossible. Spruce and Wick's have peel ply in 1" to 6" rolls, as
well as cloth. Buy whatever will overlap the edges of the patch 2" all
around.
An aside here, buy new 'glass to make the repair, don't use any cloth that
is dirty or has been wet. First, because you need to know if the cloth is
UNI (unidirectional cloth, having almost all it's strength in one direction)
or BID (bidirectional cloth that has a roughly equal fiber count in either
direction) You want to use BID. Second, because fiberglass cloth has a
wetting agent applied to it at the factory that does two things. It acts as
a lubricant so that the fibers slide past each other when the glass moves
and stretches and it acts to help break the surface tension so the resin can
wet out the 'glass rather than just encapsulate it. This wetting agent can
also be resin specific. If it comes from the auto parts store the 'glass
could have a wetting agent that works with polyester resin, but not with
epoxy. The kid at the counter will probably have no clue, should you ask. If
in doubt go to a boat shop or better yet, just order the BID cloth approved
by Burt Rutan for his aircraft from Spruce or Wick's. You'll know if the
resin is wetting out the cloth if the cloth changes color to that of the
resin. If the cloth remains white ( a drop of sweat makes a nice white
circle so wear a bandana ), it means the cloth is not wetted out, throw it
away and go get good cloth. Okay, on with the repair.
Cut your patch strips of fiberglass cloth on the bias (threads at 45 degrees
to cut), this lets the glass move and form around curves without puckering
at the edges. Lay out a sheet of Saran wrap, lay your glass on it and work
the resin into the fibers. Once the fiberglass is completely wetted out,
place another piece of plastic over it and squeegee the plastic, fiberglass,
plastic sandwich to work all the excess resin to the edges of the glass and
away from the cloth. All that's required is to wet out the glass, any more
resin than that is excess weight and does nothing for the strength of the
bond or the glass. Peel off the top layer of plastic, apply a light coat of
pure resin to the area to be patched and use the remaining layer of plastic
to control the glass while you put it on the patch area. Peel off the
remaining plastic sheet and squeegee the cloth working from the center to
the edges. Lay the peel ply over the repair area and smooth out. If you
don't use peel ply, the edges of the 'glass will curl and are a bear to
feather out nicely. Don't wet out the peel ply all the way to the edge, you
need to be able to grab it to peel it off after the resin has cured. Once
the peel ply is wetted out you can check your layup by rubbing the peel ply
with paper towels to pull more resin out of the layup. Use caution here as
you can create a resin starved layup if you rub too much. Remember the idea
is have only enough resin to wet out the 'glass and no more. Once the layup
and peel ply are all smoothed out, clean up and have a beer. Incidently,
white vinegar will remove uncured resin from tools like scissors but you
need to oil the tool after cleaning to prevent surface corrosion. My new W20
shears have a nice light brown patina because I forgot this, once.
It's the next day and the resin has cured. Grab the peel ply at a corner and
pull across the patch, not straight up from it, work all around the edges
toward the center. You should find that the 'glass is nicely filled with
resin, requiring very little filler and the edges are nicely tapered out to
the old surface of the part. Sand and fill as described yesterday.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=3D29081#29081

--
Rick Girard
"Pining for a home on the Range"

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
DrHook

Joined: 06 Apr 2006
Location: Knights Landing CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

Great Info Rick!!! Wow, That just about Sum's it Up. Are you sure you didnt leave anything out?
Seriously guys, thanks for your help.
Chris

Dr. Marvin, "Is this some kinda new theropy?"
Baby Steps

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Kolb Firestar owner, Rebuild-Recover job at hand.
jindoguy(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Nose Fairing, & other parts for the Firestar Reply with quote

Doc, I tried to hit the high spots. Much of what I descibed is known as "the
poor man's vacuum bagging method".

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=3D29341#29341

--
Rick Girard
"Pining for a home on the Range"

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours