wing mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
spitfire55

Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg,Manitoba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: wing mod Reply with quote

The drawing for the new wing mod are now on Zenith's web site!

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

_________________
William Studdy CH 250 Built,Flying,Sold
Martin Pohl

Location: CH-8645 Jona SG, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Question re wing mod Reply with quote

I just had a quick look through the modification drawings and already have a question that someone might be able to answer:

Drawing 6-ZU-1, Part 6-ZU-1-2, Wing Root Doubler
This doubler is installed on front side of spar root, which results in a 0,063" thicker overall spar root. Does this match the center spar in the fuselage with its original width? Or is the distance between the spar caps in the fuselage somewhat flexible?

Anyway: I will implement all modifications (although some of them are a real pain in the ..., even on my still incomplete XL) .

Finally I like how Zenair is laying open their documentation, in particular the load test report to ultimate load from Sep 09!

Martin

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

_________________
Martin Pohl
Zodiac XL QBK
8645 Jona, Switzerland
http://www.pohltec.ch/ZodiacXL/Main.html
psm(at)att.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: wing mod Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I will take a guess.

The existing structure is pretty tight in the mating area. Perhaps
it will be loosened in the process of following the instructions we
don't yet have. Also, perhaps this opening is the reason for
replacing the current wing uprights with parts 6-ZU-2-4. This could
make room for a wider spar carry through.

Paul
XL - used to be complete, but now there is more fun to have . . .

At 12:42 AM 11/9/2009, you wrote:

Quote:
I just had a quick look through the modification drawings and
already have a question that someone might be able to answer:

Drawing 6-ZU-1, Part 6-ZU-1-2, Wing Root Doubler
This doubler is installed on front side of spar root, which results
in a 0,063" thicker overall spar root. Does this match the center
spar in the fuselage with its original width? Or is the distance
between the spar caps in the fuselage somewhat flexible?

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Back to top
William Dominguez

Joined: 09 Apr 2008

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: wing mod Reply with quote

I have noticed the same thing. The spar root is now .063 thicker but the spacers remain the same. It would be easy to add a small .063 plate to the spacer however, this would make the center spar rear web to move a little backward and a little up, possibly necessitating a shim between the bottom flange of the center spar rear web and the floor. For planes that have their center spar already drilled to the fuselage, this might not be an option because the already drilled holes might no longer match.
William Dominguez
Zodiac 601XL Plans
Miami Florida
http://sites.google.com/site/billplane/

--> Zenith-List message posted by: "Martin Pohl" <mpohl(at)pohltec.ch (mpohl(at)pohltec.ch)>

I just had a quick look through the modification drawings and already have a question that someone might be able to answer:

Drawing 6-ZU-1, Part 6-ZU-1-2, Wing Root Doubler
This doubler is installed on front side of spar root, which results in a 0,063" thicker overall spar root. Does this match the center spar in the fuselage with its original width? Or is the distance between the spar caps in the fuselage somewhat flexible?

Anyway: I will implement all modifications (although some of them are a real pain in the ..., even on my still incomplete XL) .

Finally I like how Zenair is laying open their documentation, in particular the load test report to ultimate load from Sep 09!

Martin

--------
Martin Pohl
Zodiac XL QBK
8645 Jona, Switzerland

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

_________________
William Dominguez
Zodiac 601XL Plans
Miami Florida
http://www.geocities.com/bill_dom
maarten versteeg

Joined: 15 May 2007
Location: San Antonio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: wing mod Reply with quote

Hello Martin,

Yes, this is an aspect that confuses me too, the original wing spar
slides between
the front and back part of the center spar and this certainly doesn't
allow for a
0.063 Al wing root doubler. Just pushing it in wouldn't make the to
parts of the
spar lay flat on top of each other. If this stiffening of the wing spar
is required
then the two pieces of the center spar will need to be moved further
apart. This
can only be done when the two parts are detached at the top and removed at
least the from part is removed form the plane. I would say the only way to
properly install this is to remove the whole from part of the center
spar and make
a new one, with spacers that are 0.063 longer.
Looking at the front wing uprights that are now to be extrusions I am also
confused since the wing uprights that they replace were not wend to 90
degree so
I don't understand how a 90 part can replace the larger angle.

Clearly with these three drawings there are many questions remaining and an
instruction of how to install will be needed to clarify all of this.

- Maarten, 601xl plans build,
was somewhere halfway the fuselage but now ....

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

_________________
Maarten Versteeg
601XL scratch building wings
Martin Pohl

Location: CH-8645 Jona SG, Switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: wing mod Reply with quote

Answer from Zenair:

You will also have to take the front and rear halves of the center spar
apart to install the doublers that go on top. When you do that, you will
reset the width of the center spar. All of this will be covered by the photo
guides. We are currently putting together all of the assembly information as
quickly as possible. All of this information will be posted on the website
as soon as its available.

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

Martin Pohl
Zodiac XL QBK
8645 Jona, Switzerland
http://www.pohltec.ch/ZodiacXL/Main.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours