Oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
henrysfork1(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

 Would very much like to hear your thoughts on the use of sythetics in the Jab. engine. Any opinions?

D C Young
Windows Live: Keep your friends up to date with what you do online. Find out more. [quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Jim McCormick

Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Location: Fresno, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Hi Dee
Jabiru recommends Areoshell 15W-50 simi-synthetic oil for use in the Jabiru Engines.
What type oil oil did you want to use?

Jim McCormick
Jabiru Pacific LLC
255 W Fallbrook Suite 202B
Fresno, Ca 93711
P 559.431.1701
F 559.233.3676
www.jabirupacific.com

On 8/16/09 7:10 PM, "Dee Young" <[url=henrysfork1(at)msn.com]henrysfork1(at)msn.com[/url]> wrote:

[quote]
Would very much like to hear your thoughts on the use of sythetics in the Jab. engine. Any opinions?

D C Young

Windows Live: Keep your friends up to date with what you do online. Find out more. <http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_online:082009>

e-List Email Forum -
gine-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
matronics.com
;- List Contribution Web Site -
;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
henrysfork1(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

I have started using Amzoil 5W30. The results have been excellant with reduced oil temps C reduced CHT and EGT and much improved starting. I am really happy with the results.

DC Young

Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 09:14:39 -0700
Subject: Re: Oil
From: jim(at)jabirupacific.com
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

Hi Dee
Jabiru recommends Areoshell 15W-50 simi-synthetic oil for use in the Jabiru Engines.
What type oil oil did you want to use?
Jim McCormick
Jabiru Pacific LLC
255 W Fallbrook Suite 202B
Fresno C Ca 93711
P 559.431.1701
F 559.233.3676
www.jabirupacific.com

On 8/16/09 7:10 PM C "Dee Young" <henrysfork1(at)msn.com> wrote:

Quote:

 Would very much like to hear your thoughts on the use of sythetics in the Jab. engine. Any opinions?

D C Young

Windows Live: Keep your friends up to date with what you do online. Find out more. <http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_online:082009>

e-List Email Forum -
gine-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
;  - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
matronics.com
;- List Contribution Web Site -
;                 -Matt Dralle C List Admin.
://www.matronics.com/contribution

-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try BingT now. [quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
henrysfork1(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Jim what is your opinion on sythetic use int he Jabiru? I know what is recommended but doesn't also say to use any good grade motor oil?

DC Young

Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 09:14:39 -0700
From: jim(at)jabirupacific.com
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

[...]

plus2s

Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

I had heard it said that you shouldn't use a full synthetic oil if you are using leaded fuel as the oil will not hold the combustion byproducts in suspension ????

Regards
keith

#yiv1362194537 .hmmessage P { margin:0px;padding:0px;} #yiv1362194537 { font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} I have started using Amzoil 5W30. The results have been excellant with reduced oil temps, reduced CHT and EGT and much improved starting. I am really happy with the results.

DC Young

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:14:39 -0700
From: jim(at)jabirupacific.com
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

ist" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
=nofollow>http://forums.matronics.com
blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
henrysfork1(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Kieth I have heard the same thing about leaded fuel but don't know how true that really is or if its just a old wives tale. The  Aeroshell partial synthetic works real well so it stands to reason why wouldn't the full synthetic. The owners manul on my engine says the engine was test run using 15W50 but to use any good grade automotive oil. So that is the reason I chose to try the Amzoil. I have logged about 15hrs on the stuff and it smells the same and looks the same as the Aeroshell and you can smell the 100LL in it since it started to color up.

DC Young
Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 13:38:19 -0700
From: kpickford(at)xtra.co.nz
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

I had heard it said that you shouldn't use a full synthetic oil if you are using leaded fuel as the oil will not hold the combustion byproducts in suspension ????

Regards
keith

.ExternalClass #EC_yiv1362194537 .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass #EC_yiv1362194537 {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} I have started using Amzoil 5W30. The results have been excellant with reduced oil temps C reduced CHT and EGT and much improved starting. I am really happy with the results.

DC Young

Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 09:14:39 -0700
From: jim(at)jabirupacific.com
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

[...]

zeprep251(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Dee,
A few of the guys on the Kolb List have 912's which lube the gear reduction with engine oil and require synthetic oils because of this.They run unleaded hi test but can run 100LL if they change the oil at shorter intervals.They have said they scrape the lead residue out of the oil tank bottom.It seems that it won't stay in suspension in the full synthetic oils.Don't know how you could check for lead deposits in our Jabirus.Maybe flush the oil pan with some solvent after draining the oil to check for any accumulation.Just a thought.
G.Aman Kolb MK-3C Jabiru 2200A- 465hrs

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Jim McCormick

Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Location: Fresno, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Hi Dee

What fuel are you running?

Jim McCormick

On 8/17/09 9:39 AM, "Dee Young" <[url=henrysfork1(at)msn.com]henrysfork1(at)msn.com[/url]> wrote:

[quote]I have started using Amzoil 5W30. The results have been excellant with reduced oil temps, reduced CHT and EGT and much improved starting. I am really happy with the results.

DC Young

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:14:39 -0700
From: [url=jim(at)jabirupacific.com]jim(at)jabirupacific.com[/url]
To: [url=jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com]jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com[/url]

On 8/16/09 7:10 PM, "Dee Young" <[url=henrysfork1(at)msn.com]henrysfork1(at)msn.com[/url] <http://msn.com/> > wrote:

Quote:

Would very much like to hear your thoughts on the use of sythetics in the Jab. engine. Any opinions?

D C Young

Windows Live: Keep your friends up to date with what you do online. Find out more. <http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_online:082009>

e-List Email Forum -
gine-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List <http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_online:082009>
; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
matronics.com <http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_online:082009>
;- List Contribution Web Site -
;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
://www.matronics.com/contribution <http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_online:082009>

Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try BingT now. <http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1>

e-List Email Forum -
gine-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
matronics.com
;- List Contribution Web Site -
;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Jim McCormick

Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Location: Fresno, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Hi Dee

Well I think you have read your manual wrong, It states the following.
4.5 Oil
4.5.1 Specifications
- Aero Oil W Multigrade 15W-50, or equivalent Lubricant complying with MIL-L-22851C, or
- Lycoming Spec. 301F, or
- Teledyne - Continental Spec MHF-24B

I don’t see any reference to automotive oil! As a matter of fact you will ruined your engine if you continue to use automotive oil and aviation fuel!

So my recommendation is to drain your amzoil ASAP and get aviation oil back in before you hurt your engine!

Jim McCormick
Jabiru Pacific LLC
255 W Fallbrook Suite 202B
Fresno, Ca 93711
P 559.431.1701
F 559.233.3676
www.jabirupacific.com

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:38:19 -0700
From: [url=kpickford(at)xtra.co.nz]kpickford(at)xtra.co.nz[/url]
To: [url=jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com]jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com[/url]

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:14:39 -0700
From: [url=jim(at)jabirupacific.com]jim(at)jabirupacific.com[/url]
To: [url=jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com]jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com[/url]

ist" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List <http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1>
=nofollow>http://forums.matronics.com <http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1>
blank rel=nofollow>http://www.matronics.com/contribution <http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1>

-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List <http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1>
[...]

Roger Lee

Location: Tucson, Az.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
No wives tale, but a proven fact. You can find this data all over the web and it is taught in maint schools. I have pulled the engines and seen the lead first hand.
Full Synthetic absolutely will not suspend the lead and it falls out of solution and settles in the crank case and in a Rotax it also falls out in the gearbox. You need to be using a semi synthetic for 100LL fuel. A semi synthetic or a regular dino oil helps keep the lead in suspension and lets it drain during the oil change. That said the oil will never suspend all the lead. In a Rotax you can take off the oil reservoir and see the grey lead paste in the bottom after you have dumped the oil. You can also find the lead in the gearbox and if you have a Rotax and use 100LL you must pull the slipper clutch in the gearbox apart at 800 hours to get the lead out. In a service bulletin from Jabiru you can use auto fuel now. To me any thing is better than 100LL. I hate lead. If you are using 100LL in either engine I would be using a lead scavenger like Decalin. TCP works too , but has some harsh chemicals in it and has a warning label on it to not be carried in the cockpit. Decalin has no such warning. The Decalin helps keep the lead soft and helps it blow out the exhaust and helps keep it from settling and sticking to your engine parts.
Rotax people that use auto fuel with no lead can use motorcycle oils as recommended by Rotax because the gearbox uses the same oil as the engine like a motorcycle and those oils are under more stress and a heavier duty cycle than a car oil and they have special additives because of this. If you have an engine and can run auto fuel you can extend your oil drains. i.e. Rotax auto fuel 50 hr. oil and filter change and 50 hr plugs, 100LL use gets it cut in half to 25 hr oil and filter and 50 hr plugs.
If you are going to run some oil other than what is recommended by Jabiru I would give them a call and get their opinion. I would stick to what they recommend.

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
henrysfork1(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

Thanks Roger C your response is well taken

DC YOung

[quote] Subject: Re: Oil
From: ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com
Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 22:27:26 -0700
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "Roger Lee" <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com>

Hi Guys C

No wives tale C but a proven fact. You can find this data all over the web and it is taught in maint schools. I have pulled the engines and seen the lead first hand.
Full Synthetic absolutely will not suspend the lead and it falls out of solution and settles in the crank case and in a Rotax it also falls out in the gearbox. You need to be using a semi synthetic for 100LL fuel. A semi synthetic or a regular dino oil helps keep the lead in suspension and lets it drain during the oil change. That said the oil will never suspend all the lead. In a Rotax you can take off the oil reservoir and see the grey lead paste in the bottom after you have dumped the oil. You can also find the lead in the gearbox and if you have a Rotax and use 100LL you must pull the slipper clutch in the gearbox apart at 800 hours to get the lead out. In a service bulletin from Jabiru you can use auto fuel now. To me any thing is better than 100LL. I hate lead. If you are using 100LL in either engine I would be using a lead scavenger like Decalin. TCP works too C but has some harsh chemicals in it and has a warning label on it to not be carried in the cockpit. Decalin !
has no such warning. The Decalin helps keep the lead soft and helps it blow out the exhaust and helps keep it from settling and sticking to your engine parts.
Rotax people that use auto fuel with no lead can use motorcycle oils as recommended by Rotax because the gearbox uses the same oil as the engine like a motorcycle and those oils are under more stress and a heavier duty cycle than a car oil and they have special additives because of this. If you have an engine and can run auto fuel you can extend your oil drains. i.e. Rotax auto fuel 50 hr. oil and filter change and 50 hr plugs C 100LL use gets it cut in half to 25 hr oil and filter and 50 hr plugs.
If you are going to run some oil other than what is recommended by Jabiru I would give them a call and get their opinion.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson C Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Service Center
520-574-1080

Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try BingT now.
Quote:
[b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
henrysfork1(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

ACtually I didn't read the information incorrectly the engine is not a Jab. but a KFM 112. You guys got the closest thing to what I am using and the information you provided will help a lot.

Thanks

DC Young

Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 21:27:39 -0700
From: jim(at)jabirupacific.com
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

Hi Dee

Well I think you have read your manual wrong C It states the following.
4.5 Oil
4.5.1 Specifications
- Aero Oil W Multigrade 15W-50 C or equivalent Lubricant complying with MIL-L-22851C C or
- Lycoming Spec. 301F C or

Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 13:38:19 -0700
From: kpickford(at)xtra.co.nz
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 09:14:39 -0700
From: jim(at)jabirupacific.com
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

On 8/16/09 7:10 PM C "Dee Young" <henrysfork1(at)msn.com <http://msn.com/> > wrote:

[...]

With Windows Live C you can organize C edit C and share your photos. Click here. [quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
henrysfork1(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

100LL

Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 20:52:14 -0700
From: jim(at)jabirupacific.com
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

Hi Dee

What fuel are you running?

Jim McCormick

Date: Mon C 17 Aug 2009 09:14:39 -0700
From: jim(at)jabirupacific.com
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com

[...]

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more. [quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Oil Reply with quote

to use any good grade automotive oil.>>

I think you have misread something. Dont do it!

Pat
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
ces308

Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Location: houghton lake ,mi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Reply with quote

Ditto.....My book says DO NOT USE AUTOMOTIVE OILS.USE AVIATION GRADE OIL MADE for air cooled engines.also SAYS AERO SHELL 100 or 15-50.

These cost to much for me to experiment with something NOT recommended by Jabiru.

chris ambrose
M3X Kolb/A2200 Jab 48.7 hrs+
N327CS

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours