Oil change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
recapen(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

Folks,

I have about fifteen hours on my plane and am thinking about the first oil change. It's still not broken in yet - so I'll be putting a fresh batch of mineral oil in it to continue the break-in.

I have oil, filter, safety wire, and tools....what I don't have is experience with a lycoming. The drain plug appears to be straight-forward as does the oil-filter. I'm thinking shortly after a flight to get the oil hot and drain better is the right time.

Does anyone have pictures of the strainer screen that I'm told needs to be cleaned also? Where is it? How do I remove it? What does it look like?

Thanks,
Ralph

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
Ollie Washburn

Location: Central Florida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

 Filter takes place of screen. If you have a filter there should be no screen to clean.
Ollie
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

Folks,

I have about fifteen hours on my plane and am thinking about the first oil change.  It's still not broken in yet - so I'll be putting a fresh batch of mineral oil in it to continue the break-in.

I have oil, filter, safety wire, and tools....what I don't have is experience with a lycoming.  The drain plug appears to be straight-forward as does the oil-filter.  I'm thinking shortly after a flight to get the oil hot and drain better is the right time.

Does anyone have pictures of the strainer screen that I'm told needs to be cleaned also?  Where is it?  How do I remove it?  What does it look like?

Thanks,
Ralph

===========
nes-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List

_________________
Ollie RV6-A & Rans S7S
Central FL
jbr79r(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

Ralph
What Lyc are talking about???

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77
- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
recapen(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

I did get a picture forwarded to me directly by a list subscriber......

--

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
recapen(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

180hp IO360B1F6 - I got a picture directly from a list subscriber.

--

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
mcculleyja(at)starpower.n
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

There is a screen located near the bottom of the oil sump (usually at
the right rear bottom corner) that filters any coarse particles within
the sump to prevent them from being pulled into the return line that
feeds the oil pump on the rear accessory case where the oil filter and
vernatherm, etc are located.

By cutting the safety wire that retains the access plug to this coarse
screen, you will be able to pull out with your fingers the screen to
observe and remove any debris. There will sometimes be material that was
present during the overhaul or assembly line. This will not normally be
true if a proper clean environment existed during engine assembly.
However, it is wise to check this screen at every oil change to
determine whether large bits of metal have broken loose. This source of
early knowledge about engine internal condition will not necessarily be
available via periodic oil sample laboratory analysis, but can alert you
to major problems that will not necessarily be found in other ways.

Be sure to use a new copper gasket under the plug when you replace the
screen. DON'T remove the plug to access the screen until AFTER the oil
sump has been completely drained to avoid being flooded with oil!!

There is a particular way to install the copper gasket and a specific
way to properly torque the plug. It is based on the size of the gasket
and the plug is to be turned a specific number of rotational degrees
beyond the point where it is just finger snug by hand. This info is
available in the overhaul manual or can be obtained from most tables of
torque values for standard aviation hardware.

Jim McCulley

Ollie Washburn wrote:
Quote:
Filter takes place of screen. If you have a filter there should be no
screen to clean.
Ollie

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net
<mailto:recapen(at)earthlink.net>> wrote:

<recapen(at)earthlink.net <mailto:recapen(at)earthlink.net>>

[...]

*

*

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
jbr79r(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

On my IO540k1g5 it is on the side of the sump on the pilot side and is just behind the drain valve. I don't have any knowledge of your engine to help you. Sorry

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77
--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

180hp IO360B1F6 - I got a picture directly from a list subscriber.

--

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
jbr79r(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

I just read the post from someone saying that "If there is a filte there is no screen" I think this is only partially correct. On some engines there is a screen replacing the filter. However on my engine I have a sump screen that filters oil as it leaves the engine oil sump. A course screen for big pieces, not meant to replace the filter. You definately want to check this during oil changes.

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77
--> LycomingEngines-List message posted by: "Ralph E. Capen" <recapen(at)earthlink.net (recapen(at)earthlink.net)>

180hp IO360B1F6 - I got a picture directly from a list subscriber.

--

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
recapen(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll dig out my books for the screen torque value....and the drain bolt....unless someone has it handy.......

--

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
recapen(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

I got a picture from Lycoming - it shows a finger screen in the sump - not on the case...where the filter is.

I just need the torque values for the threads.....

--

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Back to top
recapen(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Oil Change Reply with quote

After yesterdays flight, I started my oil change.

Got the oil drained and as I am installing the Curtis CCA 1700 quick-drain to replace the standard bolt, I realize a couple of things...:

The quick-drain valve is not drilled for safety wire - I think this is an important enough component to keep from loosening by itself......I'm thinking that I should get it drilled. What do you folks say?

After going through all of my Lycoming manuals (the little owners guide that came with the engine, the overhaul manual, and the parts manual), I couldn't find the torque values for the oil-drain bolt or the finger strainer bolt. Is there another manual? Does anyone have these values handy?

I'm thinking that the torque for the regular oil-drain bolt should be what I use for the quick-drain.

I got the oil filter and spark plug torques from the Bingelis book - but I would be interested in what the Lycoming manuals say about them too.

Thanks in advance,
Ralph Capen

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours