Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

-7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

Being somewhat of a deviant in some (not all) areas, I've installed the
motor mount, gear legs, wheels, leg fairings, and pants to get all those
odds & ends properly aligned without the wings in the way. Pants &
fairings have now been removed & stored.

I haven't yet riveted on any of the fuse top skins, front or rear.
Wings/tail have not yet been fitted to the fuselage.

Now I'm contemplating the removal of the gear legs & returning the fuse
to its dolly to do the engine/cowl fitting, plumbing, wiring, etc. This
is with the idea that work will be easier with the fuse closer to the
ground. I'll eventually need to 'unhang' the engine to have it
overhauled (waiting until the last moment for that expense), so any
rework would likely have to happen anyway.

Anyone see any major issues with this idea?

Thanks,

Charlie

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
rv8tor(at)lazy8.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of work. A straight 7 right? Consider hoisting the tail
from the ceiling, it will bring the engine end down nicely.

John
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vshimsl(at)live.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

Yes-Hanging the engine twice, mounting the gear legs twice, mounting the fuselage to the dolly twice...you get the idea.

Leave the fuselage as it is, raise the tail to level the fuselage (see pic), throw in a bunch of cushions (I like small plastic boat bumpers and cheap Wal-Mart blue camping matt foam) and move on. You could build a bench that runs the length of your fuselage as I did, but you may find, as I did, that a small ladder that you can easily move is more effective.

Even with the dolly, I doubt you will escape the extreme pleasure of being upside down, on your back with a flash light in your teeth, under the panel and trying to figure out a connector (or fitting) that is located right between the effective ranges of your bifocals.

Don't do any step in this project more than necessary!

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C9C43C.E1DFEB40[/img]

My RV-8 a year ago

Regards,
Vince H.
RV8 N8432 - Taxi tests & Preparing for final inspection

--

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.55 KB
 Viewed:  3418 Time(s)

image001.jpg

Bob Perkinson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

rv8iator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

Charlie...

I have tried it both ways. The first RV-8 we built was set on it's gear as soon as the fuse was skinned. It was a nightmare climbing in and out of hundreds of times during the course of finishing. RV-8 no. two is currently on a four wheel dolly. I lifted it on to saw horses to fit the wings. After removal returned to the dolly. Easier to get in and out of for wiring, plumping and cockpit work. (sticks, floors, etc.). Easy to reach everything for forward fuse skinning and canopy installation. Also very easy to fit up vert and horz stabs, rudder and elevs. Easy to flip inverted for gear fit-up. Having tried it both ways, the dolly is the way to go... of course if you are interested in a brutal physical exercise program put it on the gear as soon as possible!

Chris Stone
RV-8
Newberg, OR

--

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

That's how I'm thinking, too. Did you go ahead & fit the engine, or did
you put it back on the gear for that?

Chris Stone wrote:
[quote]

Charlie...

I have tried it both ways. The first RV-8 we built was set on it's gear as soon as the fuse was skinned. It was a nightmare climbing in and out of hundreds of times during the course of finishing. RV-8 no. two is currently on a four wheel dolly. I lifted it on to saw horses to fit the wings. After removal returned to the dolly. Easier to get in and out of for wiring, plumping and cockpit work. (sticks, floors, etc.). Easy to reach everything for forward fuse skinning and canopy installation. Also very easy to fit up vert and horz stabs, rudder and elevs. Easy to flip inverted for gear fit-up. Having tried it both ways, the dolly is the way to go... of course if you are interested in a brutal physical exercise program put it on the gear as soon as possible!

Chris Stone
RV-8
Newberg, OR

--

rv8iator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

All the engine & related systems installation FWF are easiest done with the fuse on the gear. The height is just right for access to everything. I'll qualify that, I'm 6'2"...

Chris Stone

--

retasker(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

Well, I am 5' 10" and I agree.

Dick Tasker

Chris Stone wrote:
[quote]

All the engine & related systems installation FWF are easiest done with the fuse on the gear. The height is just right for access to everything. I'll qualify that, I'm 6'2"...

Chris Stone

--

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: -7: Hang the engine with fuselage still on a dolly? Reply with quote

PeterHunt1(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
I built a tail dragger and put the motor mount on once the fuselage
was skinned. Then I used a short piece of concrete reinforcing rod to
fashion two very short legs. The reinforcing rod had just the right
diameter so I could tape the end and fit it snugly into the motor
mount. I set the base of the temporary legs into a wood beam and
screwed six small swivel wheels onto the bottom. You must keep the
temporary legs short so you can get into and out of the fuselage
easily and so working on the engine and wiring later places the
engine below chest level where it is more easily accessed. The swivel
wheels enabled me to wheel the airplane around the shop in any
direction quite easily.

Pete in Clearwater
RV-6 "Best Metal - Homebuilt" 2009 Sun 'n Fun

Thanks Pete; that's what I was thinking of doing. No problems with
working on the sides or bottom of the engine?

Charlie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: