912 vs 912s

Bill & Sue

Location: Malvern, Worcs. UK (Defford, Croft Farm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: 912 vs 912s Reply with quote

Plan A was to go with the 912s and a CS prop.

Now it looks like we are about to become the owners of a 80Hp 912 in excellent nick with 300-odd hours on it because the it has run out of life (years not hours) on the certified Sky Arrow we are flying at present. (Hurrumph and a sharp pain in the wallet)

It seems that it will almost certainly be cheaper (and less hassle) to buy a new engine for the Sky Arrow and then use the old 912 for the Europa or sell it on the homebuild market.

Now the question is do we keep the 912 or 'part-ex' it for a 912s?
We'd appreciate the comments of anyone who has made the change (presumably from 912 to 912s) on what difference it made in the real world- and what about props to match ? I read a number of posts suggesting that the CS props didn't make much difference, but that sounds counterintuitive.

The good news is that we are almost ready to buy the engine anyway, using the 912 from the Sky Arrow would help soften the financial blow but we wouldn't want to spoil the ship just so we can eat and pay the mortgage!

Your comments please!

Bill and Sue
465 XS Trigear - finding lots of things to do before starting on the engine.

sqwk7000(at)cotswoldwirel
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: 912 vs 912s Reply with quote

I have found very adequate performance from the 912. 1000fpm climb (one
up) and 125-130kt cruise, using ground adjustable Warp Drive. Precise
figures would depend on whether prop angle is adjusted for STOL
performance or max. cruise speed.

Judging by what I have read on this forum, if you have 912S, you will need
heavy duty starter. Also, I expect there is a weight difference between
912 and 912S (with HD starter). That will affect payload and C of G. If
it pushes C of G too far forward you will have to put battery in back hand
have longer (heavier) cables to it. (Errr... perhaps all XSs have battery
at back?)

David
G-SHSH Classic 912
(still for sale)

Quote:

Now the question is do we keep the 912 or 'part-ex' it for a 912s?
We'd appreciate the comments of anyone who has made the change
(presumably from 912 to 912s) on what difference it made in the real
world- and what about props to match ?

topglock(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: 912 vs 912s Reply with quote

The weight difference between the 912 and 912S is negligable. The main
difference will be in performance, however, I believe the 912 is up to
the job. IF the money saved is substantial, go for the 912, if not over
a couple of thousand US, spring for the 912S.

Jeff - N55XS
150hrs and Sun-N-Fun bound, Saturday...