kick back fix

air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: kick back fix Reply with quote

Hello all,

In order to sort out the kick back problem I experienced with my 912S, I checked the trigger coils gap, as suggested by Andy in Factory Tech Talk. Surprisingly none of them were found to be within the tolerances specified by ROTAX. The specified gaps are between 0,3 and 0,4 millimeters. I measured gaps between 0.15 and 0.25 millimeters. I also found that the trigger coil B =C2=BE was pushed down by the alternator/ignition wiring harness, and therefore it was impossible to adust the gap properly. The fix was to use a ty-wrap attached to the engine mount ring so that the wiring harness is moved up out of the way. I adjusted the gaps at around 0,4 mm and now the engine is starting a lot more smoothly, with no kick back. It is obvious that the engine was delivered to me with this wrong gap adjustment. Adusting these gaps is a time consuming work, as you have to remove a lot of stuff to get access to the back of the engine. Therefore I strongly recommend that new builders check their trigger coils before they hang the engine on the aircraft.

Remi Guerner

F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel, 912S, 383 hours, installing an Airmaster prop

kheindl(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: kick back fix Reply with quote

Quote:
From: "Rmi Guerner" <air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr>
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: kick back fix
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:04:44 +0100 (CET)

[...]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: kick back fix Reply with quote

Hello Rmi,

This sound very promising. My problem is that I can't find any reference to
this trigger coil in any of the manuals or newsletters. What exactly is it
for and whereis it ?
Are you also saying that maybe there is no need to upgrade to the new
starter motor ?
I am just about to order one from Lockwood ($299.-), but maybe I should
wait.

Karl

Quote:
From: "Rmi Guerner" <air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr>
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:04:44 +0100 (CET)

[...]

Horizonspace(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: kick back fix Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/25/2006 9:18:09 A.M. Central Standard Time,
kheindl(at)msn.com writes:

Hello Rmi,

This sound very promising. My problem is that I can't find any reference to
this trigger coil in any of the manuals or newsletters. What exactly is it
for and whereis it ?
Are you also saying that maybe there is no need to upgrade to the new
starter motor ?
I am just about to order one from Lockwood ($299.-), but maybe I should
wait.

Karl

Karl,

The trigger coils are located behind the plastic generator cover at the rear
of the engine. My understanding is that the new starter motor upgrade is
only needed for the higher compression 912S engines.

Tam

air.guerner(at)wanadoo.fr
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: kick back fix Reply with quote

Karl,
Have a look at Rotax Service Instruction SI-25-1997 Rev 8 dated December 12, 2005. It gives useful information on the trigger coils.
Remi