Commercial and Compensation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
jland(at)popeandland.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Doc

As you said, it really isn't too difficult to get the Commercial. The 2nd
class medical might become the issue. It sure was nice to get some
formation practice in this weekend at Columbus and have it all paid for.

Will your DE do an initial private pilot exam in an EXTRA? I gotta find one
before next year that will.....!

Jay
Quote:

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Jay,
I will ask him if he will or not. He likes to do them in the YAK so what's
so what would be so different about the Extra? It is still lazy 8's and
spot landings. Yeh, for some the Class II medical maybe an issue. Some may
require a waiver for eyes (greater than 20/200), Heart Dz, s/p CABG, HTN,
Diabetes and thyriod dz, to name a few. It is still not that hard to get
done though.
Doc
Quote:
As you said, it really isn't too difficult to get the Commercial. The 2nd
class medical might become the issue. It sure was nice to get some
formation practice in this weekend at Columbus and have it all paid for.

Will your DE do an initial private pilot exam in an EXTRA? I gotta find
one

Quote:
before next year that will.....!

Jay

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
aerobaticgirl(at)yahoo.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

IMHO, I think that it is a huge difference between an Extra and a C172 as far as lazy 8s and turn around/on pylons go.  It shows the skill level of a student that can fly a perfect lazy 8 in a non-aerobatic a/c.  But, that is the old school instructor coming out in me.

Bottom line is, if you can get away with it, do it.

Smash

Roger Kemp <viperdoc(at)mindspring.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "Roger Kemp"

Jay,
I will ask him if he will or not. He likes to do them in the YAK so what's
so what would be so different about the Extra? It is still lazy 8's and
spot landings. Yeh, for some the Class II medical maybe an issue. Some may
require a waiver for eyes (greater than 20/200), Heart Dz, s/p CABG, HTN,
Di abetes and thyriod dz, to name a few. It is still not that hard to get
done though.
Doc
Quote:
--> Yak-List message posted by: Jay Land

Doc

As you said, it really isn't too difficult to get the Commercial. The 2nd
class medical might become the issue. It sure was nice to get some
formation practice in this weekend at Columbus and have it all paid for.

Will your DE do an initial private pilot exam in an EXTRA? I gotta find
one

Quote:
before next year that will.....!

Jay

Yahoo! Travel
[url=http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFscDlocTFiBF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDMjcxOTQ4MQRwb3MDMgRzZWMDbWFpbC1mb290ZXIEc2xrA3l0LXR0/SIG=12hqieud9/**http%3a//leisure.travelocity.com/Promotions/0,,YHOE%7c1381%7cvacs_main,00.html]Find great deals[/url] to the top 10 hottest destinations!

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
jland(at)popeandland.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Have no fear- he can do a fine lazy eight in the old Archer.  This instructor thought the right DE might find the turns around a point more interesting when demonstrated inverted. Wink

Personally, I think the skillful execution of an Advanced aerobatic routine can also demonstrate sufficient skill level.

From: Sarah Tobin <aerobaticgirl(at)yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:16:06 -0800 (PST)
To: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Commercial and Compensation

IMHO, I think that it is a huge difference between an Extra and a C172 as far as lazy 8s and turn around/on pylons go.  It shows the skill level of a student that can fly a perfect lazy 8 in a non-aerobatic a/c.  But, that is the old school instructor coming out in me.

Bottom line is, if you can get away with it, do it.

Quote:
Smash

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Now Smash,
I see your IMHO and raise you a what if the YAK or CJ is their only aircraft and they only want to fly large Red Star fromation gaggles at airshows.
I know rent a spam can!
Doc

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
brian

Location: Sacramento, California, USA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Jay Land wrote:

Quote:
Personally, I think the skillful execution of an Advanced aerobatic
routine can also demonstrate sufficient skill level.

When I took my Comm check ride in June of 1972 (at the ripe old age of
1Cool I was having just a bit of a problem with my lazy eights. They were
marginal. I commented to the examiner that I did better wingovers than
lazy eights so he said, "then demonstrate a wingover." I proceeded to do
several and he pronounced them acceptable. I passed the checkride.

--
Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

_________________
Brian Lloyd
brian-yak at lloyd dot com
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
rmfitz(at)direcway.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Doc,
I'm one of those aging boomers who's body is out of warranty. Just to
get a class III medical requires a treadmill and blood chemistry in
addition to the exam, and that is for a "special issuance" that is only
good for one year. This costs about $600 and my insurance won't even
count any of it towards my deductible. I'm told to get a class II would
require an annual angiogram , which is invasive and costs thousands, and
my AME warns that failing a class II exam could jeopardize my getting
the "special" class III again. You make it sound easy. Am I getting
bad advice?
bob
Roger Kemp wrote:
Quote:

Jay,
I will ask him if he will or not. He likes to do them in the YAK so what's
so what would be so different about the Extra? It is still lazy 8's and
spot landings. Yeh, for some the Class II medical maybe an issue. Some may
require a waiver for eyes (greater than 20/200), Heart Dz, s/p CABG, HTN,
Diabetes and thyriod dz, to name a few. It is still not that hard to get
done though.
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

No disagreement there, however the PTS doesn't have a section for Sportsman sequence execution to qualify for a CPL.  Haha.

I like the idea of inverted 8s on Pylons.  Throw in an outside roller while you are doing it for extra credit!

Smash

Jay Land <jland(at)popeandland.com> wrote:
Quote:

Personally, I think the skillful execution of an Advanced aerobatic routine can also demonstrate sufficient skill level.

Yahoo! Mail
Bring photos to life! [url=http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39174/*http://photomail.mail.yahoo.com]New PhotoMail [/url] makes sharing a breeze.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
aerobaticgirl(at)yahoo.co
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Uh....yeah....I mean seriously, how many PPL/CPL applicants do you know that own their own a/c?  I have been instructing for over a decade and have met 1, he was a doc and could afford to buy his own Cherokee 6 to learn in.  I think I was harder on him than any other student.  Wanted to make sure he wasn't going to be a typical doc that has way too much money to blown on an overpowered a/c.

Sorry had to pick on the docs!  Smile

[url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/pmall2/*http://photomail.mail.yahoo.com]Use Photomail[/url] to share photos without annoying attachments.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
drc(at)wscare.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Bob,
CT angiagraphy is a real option. It is non-invasive and takes about
5 min to lay on the table. We have it in Green Bay so I assume it is
available in the Chicago area. Heart disease is silent until its too
late often. If there is a cost effective way to "screen" for
arterial disease instead of the "diagnostic" heart cath then it would
be the way to go for anyone. You could have a CT angiogram done and
know before you approach the examiner.

Herb
PS - only a gynecologist so I am speaking somewhat out of my field -
go tell your internist or cardiac guy that "your gynecologist told
you about this" and you might lose your medical anyway !!

Roger Kemp wrote:

> <viperdoc(at)mindspring.com>
>
> Jay,
> I will ask him if he will or not. He likes to do them in the YAK
> so what's
> so what would be so different about the Extra? It is still lazy
> 8's and
> spot landings. Yeh, for some the Class II medical maybe an issue.
> Some may
> require a waiver for eyes (greater than 20/200), Heart Dz, s/p
> CABG, HTN,
> Diabetes and thyriod dz, to name a few. It is still not that hard
> to get
> done though.
> Doc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Yeah, I know Doc's got a bad name from V tail Bannana's, but we are talking about YAK and ChiYAK owners already. They want the perks of flying to and in the airshows for "compensation" in the form of a free food, gas, and rooms. These aircraft may be the only aircraft they own, so doing the Commercial in their own aircraft was what I was thinking of.
Be careful on that Doc thing...you could be pinched by more than anesthesiologist/Flt Doc, Gynecologist, Colo-Rectal Surgeon and a hand full of dentist at one of the major Red Star Events in the near future. We would have every orifice known covered and even could create some unnatural ones to boot!
Viperdoc

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
gus.fraser(at)gs.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Doc. too much information. Please lets just pick on lawyers and real estate agents..  Smile)

At that rate you may well find out why Smash is called Smash, kinda like why BamBam is called Bam Bam.

Gus

[quote] From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:17 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com

[...]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Bob,
Contact me off list. viperdoc(at)mindspring.com.
I've put post CABG Delta Drivers (FAA class 1) back to work after 6 months
manditory grounding.
How old are you, what are your major medical conditions that require you to
have a special issuance FC III? There has to be more to this story. Why
does your IME say you have to have an angiogram annually for a FC II.
Generally, it is an EKG, thallium GXT treadmill and echocardiagram for
those that have had coronary artery disease requiring intervention with
stints or bypass grafting. If there are ischemic changes or questionable
areas of hypoperfusion on the GXT do you need an angiogram. If there is a
rhythem disturbance you would then need a 24 hour Holter monitor.
If your IME has questions about what is needed to keep you flying, ask him
to call the OK City hotline for IME's. They will fax him all the
requirements for a workup for waiver. You can go to the AOPA medical
section to get answers also. I have to admit, Ok City does like to play I
have a secret sometimes.
I need more of the facts to make a call in this situation.
Thanks,
Doc Kemp
Quote:
CT angiagraphy is a real option. It is non-invasive and takes about
5 min to lay on the table. We have it in Green Bay so I assume it is
available in the Chicago area. Heart disease is silent until its too
late often. If there is a cost effective way to "screen" for
arterial disease instead of the "diagnostic" heart cath then it would
be the way to go for anyone. You could have a CT angiogram done and
know before you approach the examiner.

Herb
PS - only a gynecologist so I am speaking somewhat out of my field -
go tell your internist or cardiac guy that "your gynecologist told
you about this" and you might lose your medical anyway !!
On Mar 21, 2006, at 9:25 AM, Bob Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Doc,
> I'm one of those aging boomers who's body is out of warranty. Just
> to get a class III medical requires a treadmill and blood
> chemistry in addition to the exam, and that is for a "special
> issuance" that is only good for one year. This costs about $600 and
> my insurance won't even count any of it towards my deductible. I'm
> told to get a class II would require an annual angiogram , which is
> invasive and costs thousands, and my AME warns that failing a class
> II exam could jeopardize my getting the "special" class III again.
> You make it sound easy. Am I getting bad advice?
> bob
>

> Roger Kemp wrote:
>>
>> <viperdoc(at)mindspring.com>
>>
>> Jay,
>> I will ask him if he will or not. He likes to do them in the YAK
>> so what's
>> so what would be so different about the Extra? It is still lazy
>> 8's and
>> spot landings. Yeh, for some the Class II medical maybe an issue.
>> Some may
>> require a waiver for eyes (greater than 20/200), Heart Dz, s/p
>> CABG, HTN,
>> Diabetes and thyriod dz, to name a few. It is still not that hard
>> to get
>> done though.
>> Doc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Copy.
Doc

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Medical aside, how about just going out and getting the training and then the certificate? There is more to the commercial than pylon eights. I thought any training was a good thing?

I have an ATP with two type ratings...and I have learned from every certificate, rating, or type I have gotten. All apply to when I fly the -50.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
rvfltd(at)televar.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Tim,
It's not about not wanting to get the rating, hell that's easy. It's about
the necessity to have BOTH the rating AND a 2nd class phy before you can
accept compensation and the fact that as us boomers get older there will be
less and less of you (and me) who are able to pass the phy so you will start
to see less "collectable" aircraft at the airshows as this situation take
it's toll. This is a detriment to us, the airshow business, and aviation as
a whole. Less "exhibition" aircraft could well be interpreted by the powers
to be in many different ways. The problems this poorly written reg can
cause us as a group are many and most will not as obvious as the ones
listed.

Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp

--

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Doug,

I would agree that it is poorly written but allow me to play the devils advocate here. I am not stating that I agree with current regs and think that those without a Second Class should be prohibited from participating in airshows.

I think that the FAA wants those that are of adequate enough health to be able to receive and maintain a Second Class before they can operate an airplane in front of, with or, for the public. If you are not of said health, you may pose an undue risk to a large public gathering or to passengers you may carry. Does that make sense?

There has to be some medical requirement for commercial operations or their would be some folks out there flying airplanes that probably should not even be driving a car!
Maybe there is a situation where a person could hold a commercial ticket while maintaining only a Third Class medical with the understanding that that person will only exercise the priviledges of that rating while engaged in airshow activities.

As far as not seeing collectible airplanes due to lack of qualified and trainined pilots, I do see this as a growing issue and see it big time in the CAF. There is a lack of trust placed in the younger generation to handle these airplanes. I have faced that since I have been in the CAF. I am 38 and considered a "whipper snapper" and have been told that too my face. This will ultimately lead to the demise of the CAF and like organizations.

With the proper training and mentoring, an 18 year old can handle a P-51 or B-17. They have proven that! Now, I understand they were making them as fast as some were crashing them, the "kids" today would do ok. We have 23 year olds flying Vipers! Give them "us" a shot...we might make you proud!!

Just my thoughts...

tim

rvfltd(at)televar.com wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Well said for a "Whipper Snapper".
Since I'm now considered a Fossil.
Doc
Quote:

rvfltd(at)televar.com wrote:
> Tim,
> It's not about not wanting to get the rating, hell that's easy. It's
about

Quote:
> the necessity to have BOTH the rating AND a 2nd class phy before you can
> accept compensation and the fact that as us boomers get older there
will be

Quote:
> less and less of you (and me) who are able to pass the phy so you will
start

Quote:
> to see less "collectable" aircraft at the airshows as this situation
take

Quote:
> it's toll. This is a detriment to us, the airshow business, and
aviation as

Quote:
> a whole. Less "exhibition" aircraft could well be interpreted by the
powers

Quote:
> to be in many different ways. The problems this poorly written reg can
> cause us as a group are many and most will not as obvious as the ones
> listed.
>
> Always Yakin,
> Doug Sapp
>
> --

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

Tim,
If you put your airplane only on display at an airshow, you are in no way
endangering any spectators, regardless of whether you have a 3rd class or
2nd class medical. If you receive fuel for the flight home, that in no way
endangers the lives of the spectators. If you receive a cup of coffee and
donut when you arrive, you should not be required to have a commercial
certificate to accept a cup of coffee.

I have always wondered if an FAA employee assigned to an airshow (read
waivered airspace) were to accept a sandwich and drink or even a cup of
coffee from the airshow people, if it could be construed as receiving
"gratuities" which as we all know is taboo for a government employee.
Dennis

---

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Commercial and Compensation Reply with quote

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co wrote:
Tim,
If you put your airplane only on display at an airshow, you are in no way
endangering any spectators, regardless of whether you have a 3rd class or
2nd class medical. If you receive fuel for the flight home, that in no way
endangers the lives of the spectators. If you receive a cup of coffee and
donut when you arrive, you should not be required to have a commercial
certificate to accept a cup of coffee.

I have always wondered if an FAA employee assigned to an airshow (read
waivered airspace) were to accept a sandwich and drink or even a cup of
coffee from the airshow people, if it could be construed as receiving
"gratuities" which as we all know is taboo for a government employee.
Dennis

---

Excellent point! I have served a fed free beer until she was drunk, hitting on an F-15 pilot half her age, and then jumped in a pool with a white shirt on. Our show got better the next day...as we knew it would after we got back from the one hour photo store!

Maybe the rule should only apply to flight operations within the waivered airspace. I would think that sitting static and the only flying involved is to and from would not require more than what is needed for a normal flight.

I guess anything outside of waiver airspace, say arriving on Friday and departing on Monday should be legal with a Third Class and valid ticket. If your not required to be at the briefing, how would they know you are there. You could have dropped your airplane off for the weekend!

Good point....would it hold up during a violation hearing? I agree that in your scenario, you should be able to operate with nothing more than a Third Class. Hell..even a Student Medical should suffice.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next