Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canopy Safety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Canopy Safety Reply with quote

As you may know, the canopy of the AMD 601XLi I was flying came open; flew up to about 50 degrees and the airplane became uncontrollable. As soon as I had recovered enough to get around, the very first thing I did was to install a safety cable to the canopy of my airplane, Lil Bruiser. I have attached drawing of what I installed. I made the cable just long enough, when pinned, that the canopy can be open a little for taxi on hot days. I am probably going to add a removable nylon strap that will be long enough to help pull the canopy down when seated. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jay in Dallas
Email message sent from CompuServe - visit us today at http://www.cs.com

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List

CanopySafety.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CanopySafety.pdf
 Filesize:  26.86 KB
 Downloaded:  328 Time(s)

wjones(at)brazoriainet.co

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Canopy Safety Reply with quote

Hello Jay , looks great .I was planning on doing the same to my 601XL .With your drawings it will save me the time of designing one ,I will go the same as you did . Thanks for sharing.
Wade Jones South Texas
601XL Franklin 0-235
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

chris Sinfield

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Canopy Safety Reply with quote

In Australia
we are recommending putting in an extra safety latch or cable to all our Zodiac XL's with the older thinner Aero Plastics 80 thou canopy's. It appears that the older 2 stage locking mechanism is easy to not lock properly. This results in it only locking to the first stage and popping up just after take off.

It normally happens on the passenger side, as they don't like to slam the canopy , so lowering gently and not locking it fully..

We can either have a cable system as Jan's one above or an extra lock on each side of the normal lock. If you upgrade to the newer canopy system you don't need to do this or get a Todd's Canopy as they are 120 thou.
I will try and attach some photos.
Chris.
Sydney
XL Jab3300

HARRY%20PICS%20027[1].JPG
 Description:
sliding lock
 Filesize:  32.56 KB
 Viewed:  261 Time(s)

HARRY%20PICS%20027[1].JPG

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Canopy Safety Reply with quote

Jay, I too have had my XL canopy open while flying. A problem, but manageable. If I had the center yoke control it might not have been. Question is can you exit the plane quickly with the cable attached. Say a fire, smoke filled cockpit while taxing, etc? Best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Canopy Safety Reply with quote

Bill,

Just curious. Were you alone when the canopy came open?

I have heard other accounts of canopies coming open, all with single occupants, and it being manageable. And I am guessing that AMD tested a canopy un-latch with a single test pilot. They say the canopy will only open a foot or so. I am beginning to think that the drastic action of the canopy in my case might have been because there were two aboard.

No, it would not be possible to open the canopy with the safety cable in place and pinned. Emergency exit would be a three step
process: 1) pull the safety cable pin, 2) unlatch and open the canopy, 3) unlatch seat belt, and get the hell out! (approximately the same as a normal exit, only faster!)

In your example fo smoke or fire, my fire extinguisher is located in the baggage area just behind the passenger seat, very near the safety cable pin. After pulling the pin, I would have to decide whether to employ the extinguisher or just get out.

Jay in Dallas

--

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Canopy Safety Reply with quote

Jay, the canopy popped open on the right side and I was alone. It was during the phase 1 fly off and I either didn't check it or only half locked it ? As I pulled off on take off the right side popped up, scared the hell out of me, and I switched hands real quick and grabbed the canopy with my right hand and held it down to top of climb. I have dual sticks so I could fly left handed or with my knees. I had previously installed door handles on the inside of the canopy sides to help guide them into the lugs so I tried with two hands to re latch it, but could not pull it on down. I chopped power and was probably flying about - 60 mph and still could not get it to re latch. I took the passenger seat belt and routed it through the handle and cinched it down pretty snug and continued on with my test flight. I was very surprised that I could not re latch to thing while flying even at stall speeds. I now always double check the latches before takeoff. As to the three step proces s to egress the plane. You might consider whether you could control the plane, find the pin, un belt yourself and do what you need to, etc and get out say blind from smoke and holding your breath? For me the popping canopy concern is correctable with good and diligent preflight checks. While adding another thing along with safety belts, the safe egress of my passenger (sometimes grand babies I'd die for) to exiting the plane in an emergency would not be something I'd want. With the pin behind the passenger seat can the passenger find and pull them if the left seat guy can't? Just some thoughts and best regards, Bill

--

jaybannist(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Canopy Safety Reply with quote

Bill,

The plate that the safety cable is pinned to is fastened to the cross member that is near the top of the seats and is between the seats. Both occupants have equal access to the pin.

I'm now thinking that having two aboard has a lot to do with how far an open canopy will rise.

Jay in Dallas

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: