Use Miniature Toggle Switches for Mag Grounding ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
aerobubba(at)earthlink.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Use Miniature Toggle Switches for Mag Grounding ??? Reply with quote

Hi Garey-

Although I've not flown yet, I've installed 1/4" Alco gated (locking) DPDT
toggle switches for my ignitions. By spec, they should be fine in this
application. I was able to get a whole box of them off ebay for pretty
cheap, so if there should be a durability issue, they will be very easy /
cost effective to replace. Also, being DPDT, I will be able to replace my
dual mag with a Pmag, when it comes available, without doing any rewiring.
I'll just need to rotate the switches 180 degrees in their mounting holes.
Also, being DPDT, i was able to create an interlock that requires my #1
ignition and standby EFIS to be off before the starter can be engaged. For
me at least, these have proven to be very versatile components.

FWIW-

Quote:
Subject: Use Miniature Toggle Switches for Mag Grounding ???
Plan to use C&K 7000 Series miniature ( 1/4" size ) "LOCKING Toggle
Switches for

Quote:
Mag grounding as Panel space is limited on the RV-8A.

Anybody have EXPERIENCE using miniature toggle switches (made by C&K,
Alco Switch,

Quote:
etc.) ???? Were they reliable in this application ???

If so, what Mfg / Part # did you use ??

Thanks, Garey Santa Monica, CA (310) 392-1682

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Back to top
aerobubba(at)earthlink.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Use Miniature Toggle Switches for Mag Grounding ??? Reply with quote

Whupps- those are ALCO MTL206N switches I used. They are PC mount,
meaning the electrical connection lugs are configured for soldering into
printed circuit boards. These lend themselves very nicely to soldering the
wires to the lugs and covering with heat shrink tubing.

glen matejcek
aerobubba(at)earthlink.net

Quote:
Although I've not flown yet, I've installed 1/4" Alco gated (locking)
DPDT toggle switches for my ignitions. By spec, they should be fine in

this application. I was able to get a whole box of them off ebay for
pretty cheap, so if there should be a durability issue, they will be very
easy / cost effective to replace. Also, being DPDT, I will be able to
replace my dual mag with a Pmag, when it comes available, without doing any
rewiring. I'll just need to rotate the switches 180 degrees in their
mounting holes. Also, being DPDT, i was able to create an interlock that
requires my #1 ignition and standby EFIS to be off before the starter can
be engaged. For me at least, these have proven to be very versatile
components.
Quote:

FWIW-

> Subject: Use Miniature Toggle Switches for Mag Grounding ???
>

> Plan to use C&K 7000 Series miniature ( 1/4" size ) "LOCKING Toggle
Switches for

Quote:
> Mag grounding as Panel space is limited on the RV-8A.
>
> Anybody have EXPERIENCE using miniature toggle switches (made by C&K,
Alco Switch,

Quote:
> etc.) ???? Were they reliable in this application ???
>
> If so, what Mfg / Part # did you use ??
>
> Thanks, Garey Santa Monica, CA (310) 392-1682

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours