Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual throttle 601xl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmacpunk(at)netzero.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Dual throttle 601xl Reply with quote

Has anyone come up with a smoother operating dual throttle linkage? With the curve downward on each throttle cable mine is not smooth. There must be a better way. Bob
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Dual throttle 601xl Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I didn't like the dual throttle in the kit, so I did a major redesign for my plane. I copied the torque tube and moved it inside the cockpit. It mounts with the arms hanging down to the bottom of the horizontal channel that runs between the firewall and instrument panel. It also mounts to brackets on both side skins. The arms are long enough that they hang down to the same level as the throttle on the engine. The throttle cable goes through the firewall at throttle height and makes its way to a new brass fitting that is only an inch long instead of the long one from the Jabiru USA kit.

I mounted the throttle knobs on the side of the cabin where my short arms can reach without leaning out of the seat. I also put the carb heat knob with the pilot's throttle knob.

All in, it was a huge change and took several weeks of effort. I do think it was worth it since the throttle is very smooth now from either the pilot or copilot side.

I can probably dig up some photos if you want them. I don't have any drawings. To build one just like mine you will need some 3/8 O.D. tubing and some flat stock to weld to it in three places. I reused the nylon bearings for the center mount location and made some new ones for the skin mount.

Good luck,

Paul
Xl getting close

At 04:39 PM 10/14/2008, you wrote:

[quote]Has anyone come up with a smoother operating dual throttle linkage? With the curve downward on each throttle cable mine is not smooth. There must be a better way. Bob[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Dual throttle 601xl Reply with quote

Paul,

I’d like to see some pictures. I am installing an O-200 but would appreciate some ideas.

Cheers

Peter
Wonthaggi Australia
http://zodiac.cpc-world.com

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Paul Mulwitz
Sent: Wednesday, 15 October 2008 11:02 AM
To: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Dual throttle 601xl

Hi Bob,

I didn't like the dual throttle in the kit, so I did a major redesign for my plane. I copied the torque tube and moved it inside the cockpit. It mounts with the arms hanging down to the bottom of the horizontal channel that runs between the firewall and instrument panel. It also mounts to brackets on both side skins. The arms are long enough that they hang down to the same level as the throttle on the engine. The throttle cable goes through the firewall at throttle height and makes its way to a new brass fitting that is only an inch long instead of the long one from the Jabiru USA kit.

I mounted the throttle knobs on the side of the cabin where my short arms can reach without leaning out of the seat. I also put the carb heat knob with the pilot's throttle knob.

All in, it was a huge change and took several weeks of effort. I do think it was worth it since the throttle is very smooth now from either the pilot or copilot side.

I can probably dig up some photos if you want them. I don't have any drawings. To build one just like mine you will need some 3/8 O.D. tubing and some flat stock to weld to it in three places. I reused the nylon bearings for the center mount location and made some new ones for the skin mount.

Good luck,

Paul
Xl getting close

Has anyone come up with a smoother operating dual throttle linkage? With the curve downward on each throttle cable mine is not smooth. There must be a better way. Bob
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Dual throttle 601xl Reply with quote

OK Peter,

Here are some pictures:

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20081014181123.04e34b58(at)att.net.0[/img]

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20081014181123.04e34b58(at)att.net.1[/img]

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20081014181123.04e34b58(at)att.net.2[/img]

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20081014181123.04e34b58(at)att.net.3[/img]

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20081014181123.04e34b58(at)att.net.4[/img]

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20081014181123.04e34b58(at)att.net.5[/img]
[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20081014181123.04e34b58(at)att.net.6[/img]

[img]cid:7.1.0.9.0.20081014181123.04e34b58(at)att.net.7[/img]

At 05:10 PM 10/14/2008, you wrote:

Quote:
Paul,

I’d like to see some pictures. I am installing an O-200 but would appreciate some ideas.

Cheers

Peter

Wonthaggi Australia

Throttle_Knob_-_Copilot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.47 KB
 Viewed:  328 Time(s)

Throttle_Knob_-_Copilot.jpg

Throttle_Cable_and_Arm_at_Fire_Wall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.98 KB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)

Throttle_Cable_and_Arm_at_Fire_Wall.jpg

Throttle_and_Carb_Heat_Knobs_on_cabin_side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.6 KB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)

Throttle_and_Carb_Heat_Knobs_on_cabin_side.jpg

Dual_Throttle_Torque_Tube_pilot_side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.51 KB
 Viewed:  353 Time(s)

Dual_Throttle_Torque_Tube_pilot_side.jpg

Dual_Throttle_Torque_Tube_mounted_behind_Fire_Wall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53 KB
 Viewed:  341 Time(s)

Dual_Throttle_Torque_Tube_mounted_behind_Fire_Wall.jpg

Dual_Throttle_Torque_Tube_End_Bracket.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.66 KB
 Viewed:  298 Time(s)

Dual_Throttle_Torque_Tube_End_Bracket.jpg

Cables_-_Throttle_and_Choke.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.87 KB
 Viewed:  345 Time(s)

Cables_-_Throttle_and_Choke.jpg

Cable_End_Adjuster_-_old_and_new.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.42 KB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)

Cable_End_Adjuster_-_old_and_new.jpg

eldenej(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Dual throttle 601xl Reply with quote

Paul,

I, too, would much like to see whatever pictures you may have. I am at the point of needing to install my duals for the Jabiru, and am not much impressed.

Elden J.
xl, 3300

--- On Wed, 10/15/08, Peter W Johnson <vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: RE: Dual throttle 601xl
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 8:10 AM

Paul,

I¢d like to see some pictures. I am installing an O-200 but would appreciate some ideas.

Cheers

Peter

Wonthaggi Australia

http://zodiac.cpc-world.com

From: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Paul Mulwitz
Sent: Wednesday, 15 October 2008 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: Dual throttle 601xl

Hi Bob,

Good luck,

Paul
Xl getting close

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:

[quote][b]

vk3eka(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Dual throttle 601xl Reply with quote

Paul,

Looks good.

Many thanks

Peter.

Sent: Wednesday, 15 October 2008 12:20 PM
Subject: RE: Dual throttle 601xl

OK Peter,

Here are some pictures:

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C92EE0.BEB6C1D0[/img]

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01C92EE0.BEB6C1D0[/img]

[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01C92EE0.BEB6C1D0[/img]

[img]cid:image004.jpg(at)01C92EE0.BEB6C1D0[/img]

[img]cid:image005.jpg(at)01C92EE0.BEB6C1D0[/img]

[img]cid:image006.jpg(at)01C92EE0.BEB6C1D0[/img]
[img]cid:image007.jpg(at)01C92EE0.BEB6C1D0[/img]

[img]cid:image008.jpg(at)01C92EE0.BEB6C1D0[/img]

At 05:10 PM 10/14/2008, you wrote:

Paul,

Id like to see some pictures. I am installing an O-200 but would appreciate some ideas.

Cheers

Peter

Wonthaggi Australia

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.47 KB
 Viewed:  311 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.98 KB
 Viewed:  301 Time(s)

image002.jpg

image003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.6 KB
 Viewed:  290 Time(s)

image003.jpg

image004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.51 KB
 Viewed:  307 Time(s)

image004.jpg

image005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53 KB
 Viewed:  299 Time(s)

image005.jpg

image006.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.66 KB
 Viewed:  310 Time(s)

image006.jpg

image007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.87 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

image007.jpg

image008.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.42 KB
 Viewed:  296 Time(s)

image008.jpg

DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dual throttle 601xl Reply with quote

Bob,

If I had to do it over again, I might do it like Paul did. I am flying now with the Jabiru FWF dual throttle system and it does work OK after a bunch of tweaks. Here are some lessons learned from my installation:

Make the throttle length from panel to firewall as straight as possible, i.e. as short as it will allow, to eliminate friction of any cable bends.

Without the forward upper skin in place, the panel and firewall flex around a lot, adding to some frustration when pushing/pulling the throttle during your assembly trails. Put some temporary bracing between them to stiffen it up.

Adding to the previous point, I added doublers to the panel and firewall where the throttle passes through to eliminate flexing there.

I angled the throttle-end adjuster down a little bit where it penetrates the firewall to reduce some of the bend where the wire exits.

I backed this same throttle-end adjuster as far rearward as I could to reduce the bend where the wire exits.

I opened up the nylon blocks to reduce friction between them and the cross rod.

I lubed the throttle cables with teflon spray lube where appropriate.

I used a drill to cone-out the throttle end adjusters both where one penetrates the firewall and well as the one that penetrates the upper firewall shelf. This gets rid of any sharp corners for the wire or cable to rub on. Be sure to get all debris out of the adjuster.

So far, after 39 flight hours, I have had no problems with the throttle system. It works relatively smoothly, but I will say that there is enough friction in the system that I rarely use the friction locks.

Good luck,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: