Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

airspeed tubing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

Started to take off with my son tonight...increased throttle, raised the tailwheel, glanced down to check the instruments and saw my airspeed indicator was not moving. So I decreased the throttle and managed to keep it on the ground. Luckily it was a hot evening and I wasn't by myself otherwise I would have been off the ground quicker than a wink and then would have had to land it w/o the ASI working. I have landed a Cessna w/o ASI but it is not fun.

The strange thing is I went to go fly by myself this morning...all was clear- no ceiling and 7 miles visibility. I grabbed my gas cans, went to the station to fill them up and as soon as I headed back to the airport the airport was covered in thick fog and had a 400 foot ceiling. Just 10 minutes probably had passed. So I didn't get to fly by myself this morning...good thing!

After my son and I got out of the plane I looked inside the very front of the nosecone and saw that the airspeed tubing was cut right in two. It is a thick plastic tubing...I don't know what to replace it with.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

Cut in two? vandalism?
Any plastic tube that is flexible will do. Neither the pitot nor the
static endure any real pressure.
All my tubing is from a roll of HVAC black poly used by industrial
building mechs.
Try ACE hardware or a heating/cooling supply if you don't care to
wait for an aviation supplier.
BB

On 16, Sep 2008, at 9:58 PM, cristalclear13 wrote:

Quote:

<cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com>

Started to take off with my son tonight...increased throttle,
raised the tailwheel, glanced down to check the instruments and saw
my airspeed indicator was not moving. So I decreased the throttle
and managed to keep it on the ground. Luckily it was a hot evening
and I wasn't by myself otherwise I would have been off the ground
quicker than a wink and then would have had to land it w/o the ASI
working. I have landed a Cessna w/o ASI but it is not fun.

The strange thing is I went to go fly by myself this morning...all
was clear- no ceiling and 7 miles visibility. I grabbed my gas
cans, went to the station to fill them up and as soon as I headed
back to the airport the airport was covered in thick fog and had a
400 foot ceiling. Just 10 minutes probably had passed. So I
didn't get to fly by myself this morning...good thing!

After my son and I got out of the plane I looked inside the very
front of the nosecone and saw that the airspeed tubing was cut
right in two. It is a thick plastic tubing...I don't know what to
replace it with.

--------
Cristal Waters
Mark II Twinstar

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 4699#204699

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

Cristal,
Mine uses regular fuel line tubing. Your petio tube should be 1/8 inch alum.
Larry C

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

saw my airspeed indicator was not moving. >>

Hi Cristal,

replace it with any tube you like. It will work.

I had my ASI gradually fail on the climb out once. Climbing at 55 and then
the needle began to fall back. It is automatic to lower the nose in such a
case and as the ASI indicated slower and slower so I kept pushing the stick
forward until I found myself with the nose well below the horizon and the
speed still falling. Once I had picked up the horizon of course I realised
what was wrong and ignored the ASI until I had landed.

Inspection found that a spider had got well up the pitot and when I took off
the speed pushed it back into the right angle bend I had in the tube, and
blocked it completely. Always put a boot on the exposed pitot now.

Unless your plastic tube is in a very exposed place it seems unlikely that
someone woul;d have cut it unless they really don`t like you.

Cheers

Pat

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

slyck(at)frontiernet.net wrote:
Cut in two? vandalism?

I suppose I used the wrong word "cut", but it seems strange to use "broke" with plastic. I'm not indicating it was vandalism because I keep it locked up. I haven't seen many plastic tubes break in half except when you bend them good and they've been out in the sun. The man who had the plane before me had it under a shelter. I've kept it hangered. I don't know about before the previous owner...it's had several. My tube was just a straight line from the ASI to the pitot tube. But the plastic was yellow and felt old so perhaps it had a weak spot and the vibrations of the plane made it weak. Also I had JBWelded my pitot tube to the front of my nosecone because it kept sliding in and out of the hole a little. Perhaps that put a little stress on the old plastic tube as well. Now I wish I hadn't welded it...will make it a little more challenging to fix. The break is very close to the very front of the nosecone (where my pitot tube sticks out the very tip/front).

I didn't know if there was a special size of tube to replace it or if it went by ASI manufacturer specs or if there was something from aircraft spruce maybe someone else had ordered and used. But if you guys say I can use anything, then that's good.

Actually my son had the idea to duct tape it. I did try that and it worked for a flight around the pattern but I don't know if I want to keep it that way. Smile

JetPilot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

cristalclear13 wrote:

Actually my son had the idea to duct tape it. I did try that and it worked for a flight around the pattern but I don't know if I want to keep it that way. Smile

Hahaha, I like that, he must have really wanted to go flying with you ! Be careful though, once he learns how to fly, you will have to fight him over who gets to use plane !

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
cristalclear13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

JetPilot wrote:
cristalclear13 wrote:

Hahaha, I like that, he must have really wanted to go flying with you ! Be careful though, once he learns how to fly, you will have to fight him over who gets to use plane !

Mike

Actually he sat that one out Mike. I do any "test" flights by myself. He knows how much I LOVE to fly and does what he can to make things work out for me.

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

Replaced my airspeed tube on Saturday with same tube as my fuel line and it worked just fine. It was a windy bumpy day here on Saturday...more than I care to fly in again. It has cooled off around here now but it's still pretty gusty. Maybe the wind will calm down right around dusk and I can go up and take a look around. I love heights!

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

It was a beautiful evening for flying! Temperature is wonderful, sunset was gorgeous (it just goes down too fast!), air was smooth and just enough of a breeze to give a good lift. With the sun setting so early now I just had time for a couple trips around the pattern before the sun went down. But those few minutes are wonderful.

grantr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

Cristal,

I don't know what the winds were in Waycross but the winds here on Saturday were 10- 14 mph mph with gust of 20mph. I was asked to fly down to a flyin in Moultrie however everyone backed out due to the wind.

I sure as heck wasn't going to go up in that at least not yet. What were the winds there on Saturday?

I hope to fly this weekend. I haven't flown since I got my license..

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

grantr wrote:
Cristal,

I don't know what the winds were in Waycross but the winds here on Saturday were 10- 14 mph mph with gust of 20mph. I was asked to fly down to a flyin in Moultrie however everyone backed out due to the wind.

I sure as heck wasn't going to go up in that at least not yet. What were the winds there on Saturday?

I hope to fly this weekend. I haven't flown since I got my license..

Hi Grant. Hope you get to fly your Kolb soon. I kept checking the AWOS and it never said anything about gusts but after I got up in the air I knew it was. It ranged anywhere from 7-10 before I went up, but it was right down runway 5.

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

It was a perfect day for a ride in a Kolb here in the northeast and,
since these days are numbered,
I pushed the crate out onto the LOOONG grass and fired it up. Gentle
breeze right down the runway,
dense air made it jump off in short order. I landed at a neighbor's
strip, no heads popped out, turned around and
left. I cruised over the local golf courses, noticed no shaking
fists, spotted what looked like a J3 cub and chased
after him. I was gaining on him until I felt a little twitter in the
stick.... durn it, got to put those balancers on.
Slowed back to sub warp 3 and went back home. Sure was pretty.
BB
MkIII, suzuki
honorary member of ROODF (ancient acronym for royal order of dusty
firewalls)
On 24, Sep 2008, at 2:53 PM, cristalclear13 wrote:

Quote:

<cristalclearwaters(at)gmail.com>
grantr wrote:
> Cristal,
>
> I don't know what the winds were in Waycross but the winds here on
> Saturday were 10- 14 mph mph with gust of 20mph. I was asked to
> fly down to a flyin in Moultrie however everyone backed out due to
> the wind.
>
> I sure as heck wasn't going to go up in that at least not yet.
> What were the winds there on Saturday?
>
> I hope to fly this weekend. I haven't flown since I got my license..
Hi Grant. Hope you get to fly your Kolb soon. I kept checking the
AWOS and it never said anything about gusts but after I got up in
the air I knew it was. It ranged anywhere from 7-10 before I went
up, but it was right down runway 5.

--------
Cristal Waters
Mark II Twinstar

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 5977#205977

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: airspeed tubing Reply with quote

Grant and Crystal,

I am the same way about the wind, I don't fly if its much over 10 MPH... I fly the Kolb for fun, and I'm not having fun if I am worried about damaging my plane on landing, or if the turbulence gets so bad that is scares me ! My wife loves the turbulence, the more the better, she would go poking around small storms if I let her Shocked

The wind has calmed down a lot since the passing of all the hurricanes has stopped influencing the water. I hope to get some flying in this week Smile

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: