AW: Primer paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
Kevin.Dilks(at)brp.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: AW: Primer paint Reply with quote

Hi Paul
Thanks for that, and for everyone's info the Spies Hecker 4085 is part of a paint system that allows there top coats to cover direct so saving some weight.
Looks like I will by the 4085 stuff then.

Kev
Wait for the box to arrive.................................... grrrr!
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith601-list-server(at)matronics.com] Im Auftrag von Paul Mulwitz
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 25. September 2008 12:46
An: zenith601-list(at)matronics.com
Betreff: Re: Primer paint

Hi Kev,

You need a self-etch primer for painting aluminum. If you use an
ordinary primer on the aluminum you need chemical preparations like
Alumiprep and Allodine to get rid of the invisible oxide that is
usually found on the aluminum.

It is a good idea to test your actual paints on some scrap aluminum
before painting large parts of your plane. I found the self etch
primer would stick nicely to the aluminum but would be lifted by most
top coat paints including rattle can enamel. This problem was solved
by using an ordinary primer on top of the self etching primer and
under the top coat.

Good luck,

Paul
XL getting close

At 02:30 AM 9/25/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys hope some one can help.
I was advised to use a BASF product which is a self eching primer
but I cannot easily obtain this in my area .
I have found a Spies Hecker paint that says its a wash primer,
chromate free but does not use and activator like the BASF product.
Question does anyone have experience of Spies Hecker 4085 primer
or know if this is find for our airframe materials??

Supposed to be shipping this week my kit.
Thanks for any help
Kev

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours