Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa?

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

Curious, what is the fastest groundspeed anyone has seen in a Europa for
at least a half hour?

At what altitude?

Ron Parigoris

M.Grass(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

Ron,

Isn't this absolute meaningless?

I would understand and think it would be meaningful to get max indicated
airspeed with what type (tri or mono) and what engine and at what pressure
altitude.

Just my thought about this.

Michael Grass

rparigor(at)suffolk.lib.n
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

Hello Michael

"Ron, Isn't this absolute meaningless?"

I am a balloonist. I have an interest machines that are pursuaded to take
advantage of the atmosphere moving from high pressure to a lower pressure.

There are many a balloonist that break the hundred per hour mark.

Just wondering if a Europa has broken the 300MPH mark.

To me that is not meaningless, it means that a Europa pilot maneuvered his
craft in position with a hundred MPH tailwind.

Right conditions (Jetstream), perhaps glider wings, oxygen and I don't
think that 400MPH is out the question.

Choosing to fly when in favorable conditions can and does play an
important role into ultimate speed of a aircraft. Choose a day to fly to
Florida from New York on the East side of a powerful high pressure area,
and return on the West side and see if that does not put a smile on ones
face, even if flying a slug.

Sincerely
Ron Parigoris

jthursby(at)tampabay.rr.c
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
I have seen 252 knots coming home from WA (at) 21,000.

Jim T.

BEBERRY(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

M.Grass(at)comcast.net writes:

Ron,

Isn't this absolute meaningless?

I would understand and think it would be meaningful to get max indicated
airspeed with what type (tri or mono) and what engine and at what pressure
altitude.

Agreed. Fastest speed would depend on altitude, temperature, wind
direction, type of engine, speed kit or not, weight of crew, passengers, fuel and
luggage and a host of other variables. My experience is mostly with military
aircraft and graphs to show indicated airspeed against fuel consumption are
basic to pilot's notes. There is no absolute equivalent in the GA or PFA world,
even allowing for different builds.

Patrick

NevEyre(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

I claim the fastest ground speed for a Europa, just over the Ton, coming off
the Thelwall Viaduct, northbound on the M6 Motorway , sat on the Europa
trigear trailer !
Does that count ?
Cheers,
Nev.

hdwysong(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

... doesn't count unless you were riding in it, Nev. You can claim to
have the world's fastest high-speed taxi test of an UNMANNED Europa,
though. Wink

do not archive
------------
NevEyre(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:

I claim the fastest ground speed for a Europa, just over the Ton, coming off
the Thelwall Viaduct, northbound on the M6 Motorway , sat on the Europa
trigear trailer !
Does that count ?
Cheers,
Nev.

rmrrick(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

NevEyre(at)aol.com wrote:

>I claim the fastest ground speed for a Europa, just over the Ton, coming off
>the Thelwall Viaduct, northbound on the M6 Motorway , sat on the Europa
>trigear trailer !
>Does that count ?
>Cheers,
>Nev.

Not bad behind a rusty old AVENGER!?

topglock(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

Can't come anywhere close to that, but N55XS has seen 181 kts at 3,000
feet, in cruise... Wink

Jeff - N55XS
Doing 150 hr check and adding a new Trio autopilot, while at it... Smile

James wrote:

[quote]

Hi Ron,
I have seen 252 knots coming home from WA (at) 21,000.

Jim T.

Trevpond(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

In a message dated 15/03/2006 23:04:45 GMT Standard Time, NevEyre(at)aol.com
writes:

I claim the fastest ground speed for a Europa, just over the Ton, coming
off
the Thelwall Viaduct, northbound on the M6 Motorway , sat on the Europa
trigear trailer !
Does that count ?
Cheers,
Nev.

Only if you weren't strapped on!!

Trev

hurstkr(at)growzone.com.a
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

Quote:
I claim the fastest ground speed for a Europa, just over the Ton, coming
off
the Thelwall Viaduct, northbound on the M6 Motorway , sat on the Europa
trigear trailer !

Sorry Nev but I don't believe you. You would not have enough room to get up
to the Ton in that country lest you would run off the edge !!
Hang on ! are you talking a Ton of Kilometres or a Ton of Miles ? If you
are talking K's, then you might just about be able to do it but you must
have had good brakes !

Your humble and obedient antipodean Cousin - obviously about to be sent to
the next colony.

Kingsley

Do not archive

NevEyre(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

Hi Kingsly,
If you had ever been in my Workshop, you would know Metric is totally
forbidden !
I only use proper Imperial measurements, I can assure you it was miles per
hour.
The metric system was invented by ''cheese eating surrender monkeys'' They
are welcome to keep it to themselves.I am quite happy with ounces, pounds,
pints, gallons, inch, feet, yards and miles thank you very much.
God save the Queen.
Cheers,
Nev.

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

NevEyre(at)aol.com a crit :

Quote:
If you had ever been in my Workshop, you would know Metric is totally
forbidden !
I only use proper Imperial measurements, I can assure you it was miles per
hour.
The metric system was invented by ''cheese eating surrender monkeys'' They
are welcome to keep it to themselves.I am quite happy with ounces, pounds,
pints, gallons, inch, feet, yards and miles thank you very much.
God save the Queen.

Hey Nev,

Of course you installed some engine made in the colonies, Jab or Lyc,
with imperial nuts and bolts ?
I suggest you rename your plane "Britannia" Wink)
Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
Just one of the 6 billion other metric monkeys...

http://contrails.free.fr

BEBERRY(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

In a message dated 16/03/2006 22:02:00 GMT Standard Time, NevEyre(at)aol.com
writes:

Hi Kingsly,
If you had ever been in my Workshop, you would know Metric is totally
forbidden !
I only use proper Imperial measurements, I can assure you it was miles per
hour.
The metric system was invented by ''cheese eating surrender monkeys'' They
are welcome to keep it to themselves.I am quite happy with ounces, pounds,
pints, gallons, inch, feet, yards and miles thank you very much.
God save the Queen.
Cheers,
Nev.

Well said Nev..... why the hell should we be conned into accepting a French
Revolutionary method of mensuration ( have to be careful how I spell that!).
I do the same. Interesting that I have NEVER heard anyone boast abut how
many Km to the Ltr they get out of their car or aeroplane even amongst the Euro
enthusiasts.

Patrick

hurstkr(at)growzone.com.a
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Fastest groundspeed seen in a Europa? Reply with quote

Nev,

Hope you understood my accidental cynical remark. When I said you would
run off the edge, I meant the edge of the country not the edge of the
road ! <grin>

Shame on you Nev for not accepting the metric system however, I have to
admit you do have a point. I remember reading once why the French
always used the guillotine instead of the gallows, the reason being
there was no exact metric equivalent for the drop on the gallows so they
could never get it to work properly! Not sure if you knew this little
bit of trivia mate ?

You also remind me of a bloke we used to have here at work. He was
responsible for spraying noxious weeds. When he recorded the amount of
poison used, because he hated metric, he would write something like 2/3
of 3/4 of 1/2 a Cup. That was much simpler than saying 200ml or
whatever !!

Anyway, we can settle all this stuff next year 'cause I'm comin ova ta
say gidday. Hope you'll be around !

Best
Kingsley

PS I note you called me Kingsly - were you inferring something when you
dropped out the 'e' in the last four letters ??
Cheers

Do not archive