801BW is a float plane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
keystone(at)gci.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: 801BW is a float plane Reply with quote

Hi

I finally got N801BW on floats and to the lake. As always there are some
initialization problems. It porpoises after landing, other than that it
jumps in to the air. At a very light weight it came right up on step. With
the Full Lotus floats there was not two rises just one and I had to push it
over onto the step. I only had time to find the sweet spot twice before I
was airborne. It was truly glassy water! It flies fine in the air. I only
had time to do two splash and dashes before it got dark.

Bill Wilcox
N801BW
On Floats!

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
dougsnash

Joined: 14 Apr 2008

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: 801BW is a float plane Reply with quote

Bill, take care to monitor condensation buildup in the Full Lotus floats. After one season I had to remove one litre of water from each bladder (8 in each float for a total of two gallons of water). The poroising can be adjusted by moving the floats forward and back a little to find the best balance point.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch builder
NW Ontario
(former Full Lotus float owner)

Do Not Archive

I finally got N801BW on floats and to the lake. As always
there are some
initialization problems. It porpoises after landing, other
than that it
jumps in to the air. At a very light weight it came right
up on step. With
the Full Lotus floats there was not two rises just one and
I had to push it
over onto the step. I only had time to find the sweet spot
twice before I
was airborne. It was truly glassy water! It flies fine in
the air. I only
had time to do two splash and dashes before it got dark.

Bill Wilcox
N801BW
On Floats!

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
ajroseca(at)nf.sympatico.
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: 801bw is a float plane Reply with quote

Hello Bill
Congratulations on getting your Zenair on floats..If your aircraft
is porpuseing on full lotus floats usually they are mounted too far back on
the tubes and needs to be moved forward for better balance..check
the c of g point on the floats and move them forward..I am going to
install Zenair amphib floats on my 701 too..I have had them on order since february 7th
of this year and have not received them yet..They were promised for
May 15th..Then after Oshkosh was over and now within two weeks of
August 6th..Needless to say I am not very pleased as My Summer flying
will be over before I get them ...but I am looking forward to receiving them
after this extensive wait time..
Was there a reason why you chose Full Lotus for your aircraft
instead of the Zenair Floats....Has anyone on the list installed the Zenair floats on their
701..Were they supplied in a timely manner..How do they perform
are you pleased with them..They were designed by Chris Heinz so I am sure
they should be good...CZAW has started manufacturing floats again.too
Will let the list know how my float situation works out
Also I am writing an article for KITPLANE magazine called BUILDING THE CH-701....
ONE BUILDERS EXPERIENCE...Should be interesting

Alvin Rose
Zenair CH-701
Marystown, Nfld
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
cscsail(at)gmavt.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: 801bw is a float plane Reply with quote

Alvin,
I'm also shopping for floats, but I'm look at next season. Skyshop seems to be able to get the CZAW floats and I think they are readily available. I asked CanZac for info and pricing, but didn't get any useful information other than they are scheduled well into next winter. Are there other options for Zenair amphib floats ?
Gordon
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours