The Dang thing Flew

jeff(at)rmmm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

This is to inform all the on 3/10/06 after 3.5 years of building that
N128LJ took to the sky's out of MQY Smyrna TN. After my friend Mike
test flew it around the pattern I couldn't help myself. So I told my
wife that I just wanted to taxi it a bit and after a short hop down the
runway she just came off the ground and flew hands off. WOW! To all
that are building keep at it and to those that have done it I now get
it.
This is an incredible airplane! It's quick, it's stable and it likes
the sky much better than my garage. Thanks to all that have put up with
my questions and a special thanks to Jeff-Baby Blue / John-The glider
man, and a very special thanks to Bob at Flight Crafters!
I think I'll put some wheel pants on this thing to see what it will do.
Jeff
N128LJ / Gold rush.

flyinggpa(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

Jeff

Congratulations !!!!!

You now have that "EUROPA grin", and it won't go away any time soon!

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

rowil(at)clara.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

At 2006-03-11 10:42 -0600 JEFF ROBERTS wrote:

Quote:
N128LJ took to the sky's out of MQY Smyrna TN

Jeff - many congratulations! Just for the record, can you let me know
engine & prop used, empty weight, and does Mike have a last name? If
you kept a record of build hours, that would be great to know too.

regards

Rowland
--
| Rowland Carson (retiring) Europa Club Membership Secretary - email for info!
| Europa 435 G-ROWI (750 hours building) PFA #16532
| e-mail <memsec(at)europaclub.org.uk> website <www.europaclub.org.uk>

jeff(at)rmmm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

Thanks to all that have replied!
My test pilot was Mike Bowden who has flown everything but the kitchen
sink. He has never sat in a Europa before but like all skilled pilots
with 20K plus hours it was just another airplane. As soon as he got use
to the finger brakes he was off. When he returned his words we're... I
had know Idea this airplane handle this nice. He was very impressed and
didn't want paid, but I do have to now let him fly it once in a while.
Sorry on the lack of documenting the build. I have never been one to
keep accurate records but I would guess it to be around 1500 to 2000
hours. I jumped started it with Bob at flight Crafters for a few weeks
before bringing it home for the completion. She has the 912-S with the
ground adjustable warp drive prop, so I guess she's very normal to
others. We have a 5000 and an 8000 foot runway at Smyrna so I set the
prop at 21 degrees instead of the recommended 19. She still left the
ground in less than 600 feet and climbed much faster than the local
DA-20 Katanna. I am hoping for some good cruse numbers after I install
the wheel pants.
I am a low time pilot so it may explain this next comment. I must say
say that I have never experienced anything like that feeling I felt as
I pulled it off the runway. My family and some friends we're watching
so I was a bit nervous but wow! Other than reversing the trim wires I
don't believe there is any other adjustment needed.
Her empty weight is 877 LBS with all leg faring installed. I took today
off but I hope to get back in the air tomorrow and as I get some more
numbers I'll let you all know.
I would like to hear from other tri-gear Europa flyers on there
recommended landing pattern speeds, and flap settings that work best
for them.
Best Regards to All and keep at it. You have a better plane in your
shop than you know!

Jeff
A258 N128LJ She's flying now!

On Mar 11, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Rowland Carson wrote:

Quote:

At 2006-03-11 10:42 -0600 JEFF ROBERTS wrote:

> N128LJ took to the sky's out of MQY Smyrna TN

Jeff - many congratulations! Just for the record, can you let me know
engine & prop used, empty weight, and does Mike have a last name? If
you kept a record of build hours, that would be great to know too.

regards

Rowland
--
| Rowland Carson (retiring) Europa Club Membership Secretary - email
for info!
| Europa 435 G-ROWI (750 hours building) PFA #16532
| e-mail <memsec(at)europaclub.org.uk> website <www.europaclub.org.uk>

kbcarpenter(at)comcast.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

Congratulations, hop over the Knoxville,TN 98( Skyranch) and we can tool around.
Ken Carpenter 914 Mono N 9 XS

From: JEFF ROBERTS <jeff(at)rmmm.net>

Quote:

From: JEFF ROBERTS jeff(at)rmmm.net

-- Europa-List message posted by: JEFF ROBERTS <JEFF(at)RMMM.NET>

[...]

-- Europa-List message posted by: Rowland Carson <ROWIL(at)CLARA.NET>

At 2006-03-11 10:42 -0600 JEFF ROBERTS wrote:

N128LJ took to the sky's out of MQY Smyrna TN

Jeff - many congratulations! Just for the record, can you let me know
engine prop used, empty weight, and does Mike have a last name? If <B
R> you kept a record of build hours, that would be great to know too.

regards

Rowland
--
| Rowland Carson (retiring) Europa Club Membership Secretary - email
for info!
| Europa 435 G-ROWI (750 hours building) PFA #16532
| e-mail <MEMSEC(at)EUROPACLUB.ORG.UK>website <WWW.EUROPACLUB.ORG.UK>

rlborger(at)mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

Jeff,

Congratulations!!! Nothing more encouraging that hearing that
another fellow has cleared that last hurdle and made it into the air.

Best wishes for the greatest flying ever,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
(85%) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module installed, pitch
system in, landing gear frame in, rudder system in with Singleton
Mod, outrigger mod in, Fuselage Top on, lift/drag/flap pins in, wing
incidence set, tie bar in, flap drive in, Mod 70 done, baggage bay
in. Completing the firewall-aft fuel system and fitting the
instrument panel. Working in - 24 Instrument Panel, 25 Electrical,
28 Flaps, 29 Main Gear, 30 Fuel System, 32 Tail, 34 Door Latches & 35
Doors, 37 Finishing. Airmaster arrived 29 Sep 05. Seat arrived from
Oregon Aero. Preparing ROTAX 914 for installation. Singleton
firewall mod has arrived.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX 76208
Home: 940-497-2123
Cel: 817-992-1117

rowil(at)clara.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

At 2006-03-11 19:46 -0600 JEFF ROBERTS wrote:

Quote:
Her empty weight is 877 LBS

Quote:
as I get some more
numbers I'll let you all know

Jeff - thanks for all the data -look forward to hearing your progress!

I'll try to get an updated "first flights" table up on the Club website soon.

regards

Rowland
--
| Rowland Carson (retiring) Europa Club Membership Secretary - email for info!
| Europa 435 G-ROWI (750 hours building) PFA #16532
| e-mail <memsec(at)europaclub.org.uk> website <www.europaclub.org.uk>

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

Hi! Jeff
My a/c was heavy at 920 lbs.
I never fly it on final less than 65 kts and 70kts if wind is
undependable.
Regards
Bob H G-PTAG Europa MkI/Jabiru 3300

Robt.C.Harrison

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: The Dang thing Flew Reply with quote

Congratulations! Jeff.
May your flights be long and trouble free.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300

Do not archive.