Elevator Authority

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
dwilde(at)clearwire.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

I fly from a very narrow 900 foot grass strip between rows of corn that
are now 8 feet tall. This morning was my first takeoff from my home
field with my 701. It was a non-event. However after flying for an
hour I came home to make my second landing at home. I lined up the
runway, dropped the throttle to idle and skimmed over the neighbors
almond trees while maintaining a low angle of attack. With the ground
rapidly approaching I started pulling back on the stick to flair for
landing but nothing seemed to happen. I finally landed hard (i.e.
bounced) with the stick all the way back and had to fight to maintain
control and keep out of the corn at the side of the runway. This
landing was without flaps. It was a hard landing but nothing was bent
or broken.

I had previously read about this happening to others on this list but
wondered how it could happen since I found the 701 so easy to land.
Well lesson learned. I will now keep a little extra speed and higher
throttle setting to insure flair authority. Who sells the VG 's for the
elevator?

Dan Wilde
N948DW

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
Terry Phillips

Location: Corvallis, MT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

Dan

One source is CCI

http://www.vortexgenerator.net/

Terry

do not archive

At 10:28 AM 7/26/2008 -0700, you wrote:
[...]

Terry Phillips ZBAGer
ttp44~at~rkymtn.net
Corvallis MT
601XL/Jab 3300 s .. l .. o .. o .. w build kit - Tail, flaps, & ailerons
are done; working on the wings
http://www.mykitlog.com/N47TP/

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Terry Phillips
Corvallis, MT
ttp44<at>rkymtn.net
Zenith 601XL/Jab 3300 slow build kit - Tail feathers done; working on the wings.
arno7452(at)bellsouth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

I installed just VGs on the elevator. BIG difference. Elevator authority
remained even at idle when landings. I used STOLSpeed. Cost $65 including
shipping.
Ken
N701LK
Pikeville, NC

do not archive

---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
NYTerminat(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

In a message dated 7/26/2008 3:42:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, arno7452(at)bellsouth.net writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "Ken Arnold" <arno7452(at)bellsouth.net>

I installed just VGs on the elevator. BIG difference. Elevator authority
remained even at idle when landings. I used STOLSpeed. Cost $65 including
shipping.
Ken
N701LK
Pikeville, NC

do not archive
Ken,
Did you have to experiment with the locations or did they give instructions for location?
Bob Spudis
N701ZX/912S/160hrs
[quote]
---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
NYTerminat(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

Dan,
I fly from my own strip also If you are going to come in flat you need to carry some extra power as the speed bleeds off very fast as you now know. This plane does not float unless you are carrying too much extra power. I do not have VG's and don't have a problem as long as I carry the RPM's which give you air across your elevator. I suggest that you get used to flying at different angles of attack. It took me a while to get used to the angle of the 701 in landing configuration compared to the Pipers that I used to fly. This plane is great at all different landings from full flap short field to no flap 90 MPH landings at busy airports. For short fields I usually carry 3400- 3600 RPM with full flaps. I would caution you that you maintain safe width of your field so that you don't catch a wingtip on the corn.

I think we have all bounce it in a time or two.

Safe flying
Bob Spudis
N701ZX/912S/160hrs

In a message dated 7/26/2008 1:30:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dwilde(at)clearwire.net writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: Dan <dwilde(at)clearwire.net>

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

Bob,
Very clear instructions were included. Took about an hour with my CFI and I working together. 2 people make job easier.

I can probably dig up the instructions if you want.
Ken
N701LK/912ULS

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
graeme(at)coletoolcentre.
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

I always wonder why people fly th 701 like a cessna.
I fly from a short strip i am usually at 500ft when on down wind I do a banking decending turn at 100 meters past strip.
set upglide approach no flaps engine idle keep air speed 55-60 knots (over trees) until just about on strip pull back gently airspeed bleds off quickly land 40-35 knots.
If you are doing a glide approach a 35-40 knots are on the stall slightly too much back stick the aircraft decends rapidly and decent will not be arrested with elevator alone you will need some power.

VG are an addon to try and increase the speed at which the stall occures.
The cure indicates the problem the aircraft is stalling (flying to slow for the conditions0

If you inted operating from a short strip have plenty of practice at your nearest airport and get you short landings right.
don't persist on your short strip and bend your aircraft or worse you wouldn't be the first.

GraemeCNS
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
georgerace

Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Location: Albion, MI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

Hi Bob:
You say you carry 3400-3600 RPM with full flaps.

Am I correct in assuming that you are using a Rotax with a PSRU?

If so would that make the prop RPM about 1700-1800? And the airspeed across the threshold is?

Thanks,
George
N73EX

[...]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

_________________
Check out my CH-701 project at:
http://www.mykitairplane.com
NYTerminat(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

Ken,

If you wouldn't mind, when you get a chance I would like to see it.

Thanks
Bob

In a message dated 7/27/2008 5:16:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, arno7452(at)bellsouth.net writes:
[quote] Bob,
Very clear instructions were included. Took about an hour with my CFI and I working together. 2 people make job easier.

I can probably dig up the instructions if you want.
Ken
N701LK/912ULS

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
NYTerminat(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

George,
Yes Rotax 912S, Prop RPM would be about 1400 - 1500. Airspeed is about 40mph.

Bob

In a message dated 7/27/2008 12:31:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mykitairplane(at)mrrace.com writes:
[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

NYTerminat(at)aol.com wrote:
[...]

Bob and others: I had no problem today on landing. I just carried a

few extra rpms.

I initially was worried about landing too long on my runway because the
50' trees at the far end kind of limit the go around possibilities. Now
that I have a few landings I see this is not likely to be an issue. I
could easily be stopped by 300 feet from the end of the runway over 20'
almond trees and I am not using flaps. I still have 600' to use.

Dan Wilde

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
NYTerminat(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

Dan,
Sounds great, practice will get you on spot every time. Have lots of fun flying.

Bob Spudis
do not archive

In a message dated 7/27/2008 3:12:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dwilde(at)clearwire.net writes:
Quote:
Bob and others: I had no problem today on landing. I just carried a
few extra rpms.

I initially was worried about landing too long on my runway because the
50' trees at the far end kind of limit the go around possibilities. Now
that I have a few landings I see this is not likely to be an issue. I
could easily be stopped by 300 feet from the end of the runway over 20'
almond trees and I am not using flaps. I still have 600' to use.

Dan Wilde

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
raymondj(at)frontiernet.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

Greetings Ken,

I would like to see those instructions, too.

Thanks,
Raymond Julian
Kettle River, MN

"Hope for the best,
but prepare for the worst."

do not archive

---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
arno7452(at)bellsouth.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Elevator Authority Reply with quote

OK, will send them out.
May take a little to find them.
Ken

---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours