copying holes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
carlossa52(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: copying holes Reply with quote

Hello, all
How have you copied a hole pattern from one part to a new part, without damaging (i.e., making them bigger, oval) the existing holes?

In my case, the wing ribs have already been drilled to A4 size, and I am going to discard the old skin.
I think the least laborious way of doing this would be to back-drill the skin, from inside the wing.
But how do I make sure I won't enlarge the holes on the ribs?

Thanks in advance for your comments / suggestions.

Carlos
do not archive

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
craig(at)craigandjean.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: copying holes Reply with quote

How about a transfer punch?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

Or just search www.harborfreight.com for item number 3577-2VGA.

Remember that pulled rivets do expand in their holes. So some enlargement of the existing holes is tolerable. I think there is something in the Zenith construction standards about this.

-- Craig

How have you copied a hole pattern from one part to a new part, without damaging (i.e., making them bigger, oval) the existing holes?

In my case, the wing ribs have already been drilled to A4 size, and I am going to discard the old skin.
I think the least laborious way of doing this would be to back-drill the skin, from inside the wing.
But how do I make sure I won't enlarge the holes on the ribs?

Thanks in advance for your comments / suggestions.

Carlos
do not archive
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
john.marzulli(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: copying holes Reply with quote

If you are copying the holes from the ribs, then doing back-drilling one skin at a time should work. Otherwise, you can make a strap duplicator easily using a few rivets and two spent hack saw blades.

GOOD LUCK and DO NOT ARCHIVE

John Marzulli

http://701Builder.blogspot.com/
http://www.GenevieveMarzulli.org/
http://www.JohnMarzulli.net/

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Carlos Sa <carlossa52(at)gmail.com (carlossa52(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Hello, all
How have you copied a hole pattern from one part to a new part, without damaging (i.e., making them bigger, oval) the existing holes?

In my case, the wing ribs have already been drilled to A4 size, and I am going to discard the old skin.
I think the least laborious way of doing this would be to back-drill the skin, from inside the wing.
But how do I make sure I won't enlarge the holes on the ribs?

Thanks in advance for your comments / suggestions.

Carlos
do not archive

Quote:

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
carlossa52(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: copying holes Reply with quote

Hello, Craig
This is one of the many tools out thre I didn't know existed...
If I understand it well, you place it in the hole (in my case, the rib's), with the target piece under it (the skin), and tap it so you get an indentation at the centre of the location where the hole needs to be?

Nice.

Thanks for writing

Carlos

2008/7/17 Craig Payne <craig(at)craigandjean.com (craig(at)craigandjean.com)>:
[quote]
How about a transfer punch?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

Or just search www.harborfreight.com for item number 3577-2VGA.

Remember that pulled rivets do expand in their holes. So some enlargement of the existing holes is tolerable. I think there is something in the Zenith construction standards about this.

-- Craig

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
n85ae

Joined: 14 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: copying holes Reply with quote

Can you lay the old skin on top of the new skin as a drilling template?
This would be the easiest way. Lay the new skin on a sheet of plywood,
and drill and cleco the old skin right on top of if clecoing all the way
through into the plywood. I did this with my cabin floor after I discovered
that the lines drawn by Zenith were incorrect and I had trimmed to the lines.
Every single hole matched perfectly.

I don't think you can use a hole finder on wing skins as the edge to hole
distance would be excessive.

Regards,
Jeff

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
carlossa52(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: copying holes Reply with quote

Good idea, Jeff, but the reason I have to go through this operation in the first place is that the original skin isn't square.
That's why I want to use the holes in the ribs as a guide. Using the skin is not impossible, but it represents more work (I would have to reposition it for each rib station).
(A hole finder is unnecessary, the structure is still just clecoed.)

Thanks for the comment.
Carlos

2008/7/17 n85ae <n85ae(at)yahoo.com (n85ae(at)yahoo.com)>:
[quote]--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "n85ae" <n85ae(at)yahoo.com (n85ae(at)yahoo.com)>

Can you lay the old skin on top of the new skin as a drilling template?
This would be the easiest way. Lay the new skin on a sheet of plywood,
and drill and cleco the old skin right on top of if clecoing all the way
through into the plywood. I did this with my cabin floor after I discovered
that the lines drawn by Zenith were incorrect and I had trimmed to the lines.
Every single hole matched perfectly.

I don't think you can use a hole finder on wing skins as the edge to hole
distance would be excessive.

Regards,
Jeff

[b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Back to top
n4546v(at)mindspring.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: copying holes Reply with quote

Do not archive
I botched a set of 701 wing skins and made a set of LONG hole finders to do
this exact job. I made them from the widest pallet banding material I could
find in the dumpster. Long enough to reach from trailing edge to the main
spar.

If you decide to go this route I could send pictures.

Regards,

Randy, Las Vegas

Quote:
I don't think you can use a hole finder on wing skins as the edge to hole
distance would be excessive.

Regards,
Jeff

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours