Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

long wing 701 with VG's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshep00(at)centurytel.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: long wing 701 with VG's Reply with quote

I just finished the 5 hour flight test period after adding 3 feet of wing span, strut fairings, slat removal, and VG's to my 701. Results are impressive.

My 701 is highly modifed with a Cam125 Honda Civic for an engine as well. Empty weight is 800# From the begining, it was built to be a heavy long wing aircraft.

Flight tests were conducted at about 1150# gross.
Takeoffs were about the same as with slats.

Landings may be a bit longer, however I have not fully explored the use of flaps, The aircraft now handles better with flaps enployed. 5 hrs is certainly not enough to give a comprehensive test of all configurations.

Climb is about 100 FPM more , Stall speed is about 2 mph less, cruise speed is at least 10 mph more.

You can now make a decent power off landing.
Power off glide improved from a decent of 900" per minuite to about 650 ' per min at 60 MPH. Fuel burn at 90+ MPH is less than 4 gal per hr.

I do want to put the slats back on and see what effect that has, however it seems that it will be difficult to give up very many of the benefits.
More later, Jerry

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
vgstol(at)bigpond.net.au

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: long wing 701 with VG's Reply with quote

Gday Jerry,

Great to hear of your success!

I can't quite understand why Zenith clings to that unusually short wing for a STOL aircraft. In the very beginning he was designing the 701 to fit the Canadian ultralight category which had a very tight weight restiction, so maybe it was necessary then, but not now. Only need to look at the performance of Super Cubs to see what a long wing does.... Now you've just demonstrated it as well......

Are you going to Oshkosh this year??

On Tuesday we are off to some Camel Races in outback Aus. Should be about a 30 hr round trip. Hoping for tailwinds all the way,

Cheers,
JG
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: