Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outboard elevator hinge plate - 801

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcchurch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Outboard elevator hinge plate - 801 Reply with quote

Howdy all,

I've been reading Gary Liming's web site and noticed he made a modification to the elevator hinge plate. He used 0.090" 6061-T6 to make his own outboard elevator hinge plate instead of using the 0.032" plate supplied by Zenith. Just checked my kit and my hinge plate is 0.063". I guess Zenith beefed up that part when the horizontal stabilizer was widened.

http://www.liming.org/ch801/final.html
(hinge plate is about 1/2 down the page)

His hinge plate was extended to allow for two vertical rows of rivets. My Zenith part provides one row of rivets with 8 mm edge distance (predrilled).

I'd like to know if any other CH801 builders have felt the need to substitute thicker material for this component. If so, what thickness did you use? Also, the plans do not call for any type of bushing inside the 3/16" hole for the hinge pin - Gary used used a nylon bushing. Can someone help me out understanding the potential "cons" of using a bushing at that location?

Regards,
- Ben (working on the horizontal stabilizer...)

do not archive

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

SafeAirOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Outboard elevator hinge plate - 801 Reply with quote

Looking at Gary's description, I think he used a nylon WASHER on the hinge pin between the hinge plate and the elevator. I don't believe it was a nylon BUSHING around the hinge pin itself and between the pin and plate.

Just my un-educated opinion here, but if I were to put a bushing here, it would probably of the bronze variety, not the nylon type.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bcchurch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Outboard elevator hinge plate - 801 Reply with quote

Good eye. I re-read the page I referenced and it does seem a nylon washer was used and not a bushing.

Thanks for pointing that out.

- Ben

do not archive

RADUDE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Outboard elevator hinge plate - 801 Reply with quote

On my 801 hinge plate I followed Gary's advise and made it .090 with 2 rows of rivets. I have the large tail. On the demo 801 the hole in the hinge plate is now oval. I wanted a larger pin and non corrosive mat', so I installed a .250 bronze oilite bushing in the hinge plate and made a new hinge pin out of ss strap and a stainless dowel pin .250. The bushing is press fit into the hinge plate, and I have nylon washers also. You will need to fasten the fiberglass elevator tip with screws for inspection removal. The pro's, smoother action on the elevator, it can be replaced if it ever wears, non corroding. The cons a lot more work and the tip needs to be removable for service and inspection.

n85ae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Outboard elevator hinge plate - 801 Reply with quote

A word of caution, the AN bolts that they welded for the original hinge
pins have a tensile strength of 125,000 psi, stainless steel is often
around 75 ksi, which = 75,000 psi. So even with the larger pins you may
actually have ended up with weaker hinges. Do you know specifically
which alloy stainless you used?

3/16 AN bolts at 125,000 = 10818 lb.s
1/4 SS at 75,000 = 9390 lb.s

This is not in shear, but I think it illustrates the point.

Regards,
Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: