RE: fitting gascolator

mikenjulie.parkin(at)btop
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Quote:
Remarkable in this discussion are the people that keep telling that their
fuel has always been clean. They probably do not need filters or
gascolators at all. Or checklists either. It's always OK eh? They probably
forget that just that one, first incident could kill them. Wrong mentality
in this hobby.

Hi Jos,
Could not agree more. It is equally remarkable that so many inexperienced
pilots have such strong opinions on operating a Europa long before they have
built and operated one - don't you agree?
kind regards,
Mike

garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Yes, and there are those out there who install audible warning lights to
tell them if their doors aren't properly latched, or their seatbelts aren't
fully engaged. Probably the same ones who wear elastic waisted pants plus a
belt and two pairs of suspenders. There's a difference between being
reasonably careful, and being neurotic. The latter should probably stay
home watching television in the safety and comfort of their couch.
Kick the tires and light the fires.

jthursby(at)tampabay.rr.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

I guess I'll reply now that this has gotten heated. There are those that
have gotten crud in those filters, and those that will. You CAN NOT clean
the plastic tank out fully after drilling it. Not water or air or gasoline
will dislodge all the swarf. Only time and some aerobatics seem to help
dislodge the junk. If you have flown your plane since new with no crud in
the filters, you are either EXTREMELY lucky or flying on borrowed time. A
914 WILL quit if the filter clogs! I have the four deadstick landings, and
five precautionary landings to prove it! Water can get in the topside
fillers and vents. I have one deadstick from almost three quarts in the
tank to prove THAT. I switched to the reserve side to check flow and it
promptly quit. Switching back to the main side did not help, seems the bing
carbs won't work with just H2O filling the float bowls.Wink You need drains
and a good high flow separator/filter setup. Just make sure to check the
filters often.
Jim T.

jeff(at)rmmm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

As usual with this list these things get carried way to far past what
builders need. If anything, you all are simply hurting the new
builder's attitude towards weather he's made a smart purchase in the
Europa. If the filters are not the way to go then would all of you that
have turned to a different direction take it up with Europa! Sounds
like Europa should be selling kits with gascolators instead of filters.
If a builder needs help he should ask the list and hopefully get the
answers needed. More and more I see this forum being used to defend
ones own, or a buddy's opinion or integrity. Remember there people out
here needing encouragement and help and all this arguing does is
discourage the poor sap that laid down $26K for a kit with cheep inline
filters. If they don't serve there intent tell Europa to quit selling
them!
Jeff
A258
Do not archive.
On Jan 7, 2006, at 11:06 AM, James wrote:
[...]

DuaneFamly(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Good day All,

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Hi! Mike ... you probably have the message OK except the only way you
could better your suggestion would be a mini gascolator on each line.
However it is all IMHO and I have just the one gascolator in the main
line and the water drain mod and they have together proved to be very
capable in all respects including water to date. (It was my finger
filters and wiper strands of fibre and bad intersection of the drillings
in the tank connectors which caused my forced landing like the wash hand
basin or bath plug hole effect)
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Hi! Jeff
I always publish IMHO details which I hope will enable others to make
informed judgement against it is secondary that I fully agree with Jim
T.
Europa are selling a product which for them (hopefully) makes an
adequate profit and with it or not goes the personal specification of
additional but non essential mods. A choice which the purchaser can make
to satisfy his particular whim or concern. I'm not sure if the water
drain mod is optional or not but IMHO it is short sighted to not
recognise the potential for sooner or later getting caught out.
I agree the list shouldn't be used to justify "one up manship" but I
don't think it is valid to advocate ignore and rule out others
experiences either.
People who are building are mostly grown up and have their own
perception of what is sound advice and what is not. Damned if I'm going
to attempt to teach Europa to "suck eggs".
IMHO the new builder should be well pleased to have the benefit of not
needing to eventually "re-invent the wheel" and enjoy the said benefits
which the forum provides by the debate it promotes especially so from
those who went before and to date have survived.
No offence ever intended ......unless I clearly say so !
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI /Jabiru 3300
( 600 hours survived and one forced landing even with what I thought
meticulous handing of fuel ....in fact my main crud discovered in the
finger filters was single strands of fibre from the wipers I used to
wipe out jugs etc for filling.)
Do not archive.

bryan(at)blackballclub.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Jeff,
I could not agree with you more. These days I am almost afraid to make any
comment on this site in case someone takes issue with it.
I too am concerned about the negative impact made on Europa's sales when
people persist in putting down the original product to justify their own
preferences.
My personal contribution regarding ants in the fuel was for general
interest. I was able to fly my 'built to the manual' kit plane
safely on it's journey with a backup filter and intelligent use of the fuel
pressure gauge. I do not need others to subtly suggest that I am an idiot
for doing these sorts of things. I have a wife for that!
The standard Europa is a great little ship straight from the box. I love it,
and feel very safe in it. Sure, I am an accident waiting to happen, but
isn't
everyone? Let us not get obsessive about to many negatives. Enjoy the thing
for the purpose for which it was designed. If you want to make it into
something else, fine, but please recognise the wonderful qualities of the
original design for it's purpose.
Regards. Bryan Allsop
From: "JEFF ROBERTS" <jeff(at)rmmm.net>
[quote] As usual with this list these things get carried way to far past what
builders need. If anything, you all are simply hurting the new
builder's attitude towards weather he's made a smart purchase in the
Europa. If the filters are not the way to go then would all of you that
have turned to a different direction take it up with Europa! Sounds
like Europa should be selling kits with gascolators instead of filters.
If a builder needs help he should ask the list and hopefully get the
answers needed. More and more I see this forum being used to defend
ones own, or a buddy's opinion or integrity. Remember there people out
here needing encouragement and help and all this arguing does is
discourage the poor sap that laid down $26K for a kit with cheep inline
filters. If they don't serve there intent tell Europa to quit selling
them!
Jeff
A258
Do not archive.
On Jan 7, 2006, at 11:06 AM, James wrote:

> I guess I'll reply now that this has gotten heated. There are those
> that
> have gotten crud in those filters, and those that will. You CAN NOT
> clean
> the plastic tank out fully after drilling it. Not water or air or
> gasoline
> will dislodge all the swarf. Only time and some aerobatics seem to help
> dislodge the junk. If you have flown your plane since new with no
> crud in
> the filters, you are either EXTREMELY lucky or flying on borrowed
> time. A
> 914 WILL quit if the filter clogs! I have the four deadstick
> landings, and
> five precautionary landings to prove it! Water can get in the topside
> fillers and vents. I have one deadstick from almost three quarts in
> the
> tank to prove THAT. I switched to the reserve side to check flow and
> it
> promptly quit. Switching back to the main side did not help, seems
> the bing
> carbs won't work with just H2O filling the float bowls.Wink You need
> drains
> and a good high flow separator/filter setup. Just make sure to check
> the
> filters often.
>
> Jim T.

rholder(at)avnet.co.uk
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Bryan said
Quote:
The standard Europa is a great little ship straight
from the box. I love it, and feel very safe in it.
Sure, I am an accident waiting to happen, but isn't
everyone?

I am surprised no-one has picked up on one item in Jeff's
mail.
He talks about $26K for a kit. I assume that is stages 1,
2 & 3 with no firewall forward. The price here in England
is 20,795 GBP and I expect VAT is to be added making it
24,434. (mono)
.
Even without VAT the 20,795 GBP becomes around $35k or
$36k. Yet kits sold in the US have been shipped across the
Atlantic.
So Jeff paid $10k less than a Brit would have even without
adding VAT which would be another $5k.
So were they being sold at a loss in the US (I wonder what
the current quoted US price is) or are we in England being
overcharged ?
I could rant more but it is time to go out Smile
Richard Holder
From: "JEFF ROBERTS" <jeff(at)rmmm.net>
Quote:
[...]

M.Grass(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Richard,
With the greatest respect, I think you read to much into this loose
statement. The US builder currently bys from Europa 2004 in the UK direct.
This means same pricing. On the other hand, yes that was the price range
when I bought my ship but that was a few years back. I remember the UK
pricelist was much lower then compared to today. Interestingly here in the
US if you buy out of state often you do not pay VAT but they get you later
with the first registration. Anyway, here in the US it is custom to list the
prices before taxes. And as another factor also keep in mind that the US
dollar lost about 30% (loose statement! not exact!) in the last 2-3 years
against the UK Pound. With al this said, I feel now being overcharged here
in the US, but the exchange rate is not the fault of Europa 2004.
Michael Grass
A266 . Trigear, Detroit Michigan

bberube(at)tampabay.rr.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

The 26k price that Jeff indicated was the kit cost several years ago. The
current pricing is in the area of 38k.
Bob Berube
Do not archive

jeff(at)rmmm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi Richard,
Don't worry, Europas are being advertised in the Kit Planes buyers
directory now for $37 to $38K. I paid what I paid 4 years ago and I was
being a little general in the statement. It was around $26 before FWF
and any other extra items.
Jeff
A258
The worst case of flu I ever had is about over! Working on final fit of
the panel and the bird will be going to the airport by next week for
weight & balance and to wait out the inspection time.
Quote:
From: "JEFF ROBERTS" <jeff(at)rmmm.net>
> As usual with this list these things get carried way to
> far past what builders need. If anything, you all are
> simply hurting the new builder's attitude towards
> weather he's made a smart purchase in the Europa. If
> the filters are not the way to go then would all of you
> that have turned to a different direction take it up
> with Europa! Sounds like Europa should be selling kits
> with gascolators instead of filters. If a builder needs
> help he should ask the list and hopefully get the
> answers needed. More and more I see this forum being
> used to defend ones own, or a buddy's opinion or
> integrity. Remember there people out here needing
> encouragement and help and all this arguing does is
> discourage the poor sap that laid down $26K for a kit
> with cheep inline filters. If they don't serve there
> intent tell Europa to quit selling them! Jeff A258 Do
> not archive.

paul.mcallister(at)qia.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Quote:
The 26k price that Jeff indicated was the kit cost several years ago. The
current pricing is in the area of 38k.

Quote:
Bob Berube

And unforutnately at that price Europa 2004 is unlikely to ever sell another
kit in the US, or outside of Europe for that matter.
Paul
do not archive

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: RE: fitting gascolator Reply with quote

Hi Gottfried and all,
[quote]So you will see, that the connection in series is the latest recommendation. This would reduce the fuel-flow trough the pumps and the returning fuel from the pressure regulator by 50%. On the other hand, the series-installation would reduce a lot of the filter problems as well.