Balancing the Elevators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
vhimsl(at)roadrunner.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Balancing the Elevators Reply with quote

Hello,

Does one balance each Horizontal Stabilizer section separately (trim the lead weights) or as a completed unit connected to the push rods and control column.

Thanks,

Vince H.
RV-8 (Glacier built) – Registered and in hanger for final assembly.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Back to top
carl.froehlich(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Balancing the Elevators Reply with quote

I did each separately as it was just as easy as doing it connected.

Recommend leaving enough weight on to have the elevator trailing edge up. You will need this to compensate for paint (not an insignificant weight change as it is all aft of the hinge point). I ended up adding weight back after painting – and then fixing the paint job where I cut into the elevator fairing.

Carl Froehlich
RV-8A (425 hrs)
RV-10 (flaps)

Does one balance each Horizontal Stabilizer section separately (trim the lead weights) or as a completed unit connected to the push rods and control column.

Thanks,

Vince H.
RV-8 (Glacier built) – Registered and in hanger for final assembly.

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Back to top
flyinwithme99(at)yahoo.co
Guest

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Balancing the Elevators Reply with quote

I am assuming, since i could not find the balance criteria in the plans, that the balance values are "zero" for all surfaces?

Is this correct?

Is it safe to fly the aircraft with some positive balance (trailing edge up for paint compensation) ?

Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)cox.net> wrote:
[quote] I did each separately as it was just as easy as doing it connected.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[...]

7[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Back to top
carl.froehlich(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Balancing the Elevators Reply with quote

I asked Van’s about this several years ago and got a “no opinion” response.

I would say the amount of weight difference here can be characterized as cosmetic. I just did not like the “droopy elevator” look when parked.

Carl

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-Listhttp://forums.matronics.comhttp://www.matronics.com/contribution
[...]
4[b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Back to top
flyinwithme99(at)yahoo.co
Guest

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Balancing the Elevators Reply with quote

On most aircraft, the service information will outline a fairly narrow window for balance criteria, and this can be either positive, negative, or neutral.

I am very suprised there is nothing in the plans or instructions for the RV-8, unless "balanced" means "neutral" and there is no tolerance.

Carl Froehlich <carl.froehlich(at)cox.net> wrote:
[quote] I asked Van’s about this several years ago and got a “no opinion” response.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[...]

2[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours