Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BK 170B transmit prob.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustinp(at)hughes.net

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: BK 170B transmit prob. Reply with quote

As I was preparing to take off for a BFR check ride last night, my CFI said "don't do what the guy who just took off in front of you did by not announcing your intentions".

Later "that guy" stopped by my hangar, and I asked why he didn't use his radio. He said he had, and he heard me fine when I was transmitting, and was able to hear himself over his headphones when he used PTT button to make his announcements.

Any ideas out there on where to start diagnosing what may have caused his ability to receive transmissions, but not to send them on his BK 170B.

Thanks
Dustin Paulson
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Avionics-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Avionics-List
Rickey B.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: BK 170B transmit prob. Reply with quote

Sounds like a broken mic wire, possibly.
    R

Do NOT archive

As I was preparing to take off for a BFR check ride last night, my CFI said "don't do what the guy who just took off in front of you did by not announcing your intentions".

Later "that guy" stopped by my hangar, and I asked why he didn't use his radio. He said he had, and he heard me fine when I was transmitting, and was able to hear himself over his headphones when he used PTT button to make his announcements.

Any ideas out there on where to start diagnosing what may have caused his ability to receive transmissions, but not to send them on his BK 170B.

Thanks

Dustin Paulson
[quote] [b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

longg(at)pjm.com

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: BK 170B transmit prob. Reply with quote

First off it's always a good idea to call out a radio check b4 you leave your parking spot. This kind of thing happens all the time and is easily avoidable. Just because your radio worked yesterday that is no guarantee of today's quality.

Yes, every radio has two modes, RX and TX. The 170's are good radios but have been around since the bygone years. When was the last time it was bench tested? Does it have the updated digital interface? A few dollars at the radio shop would be a good investment.

Since he is receiving voice, it's a safe assumption the antenna is working but don't overlook the condition of the connections. Yes, the mic may be another; even the wires coming out of the audio panel connected to the mic jacks may be suspect. If he has an ohm meter, I would check every wire for continuity and if that passes muster, take the radio to the shop. Better yet, upgrade to a more reliable solid state, low power unit.
[quote]
--

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: BK 170B transmit prob. Reply with quote

Rick mentioned a broken mic wire... If that were the case he would not have had side tone. Same thing true for the PTT switch.

I’d start checking from the antenna back. Try another transmitter on the antenna feed line. If you can beg, borrow, buy or steal a bird wattmeter you are in business. You should see power as soon as the mic is keyed. If you don’t you will have to pull the radio. Good thing is if the problem is in the antenna feed line then you will probably get off with just replacing the feed line. Don’t forget to put in the drip loops.

If the radio is original I expect it has output tubes and the possibility of a blown tube is pretty good. Once the heater element burns open the tube won’t work at all. A good avionics shop should have it fixed in a couple of hours... Those rigs are built to be worked on.

Noel

From: owner-avionics-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-avionics-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dustin Paulson
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 9:32 AM
To: avionics-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: BK 170B transmit prob.

Thanks

Dustin Paulson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

dustinp(at)hughes.net

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: BK 170B transmit prob. Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll pass then on, and if I hear what the problem ended up being I will pass that on too!

Dustin Paulson
[quote][b]

Mo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: BK 170B transmit prob. Reply with quote

It happened tome once when a right seat passenger knocked my mike connect to under the panel out.

Maurice Fitzgerald
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Avionics-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: