Float Level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
cffd(at)pgrb.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

My EGT's at WOT are a little high 1250 F, while the cruise is a little rich 1200 F.
Jabiriu 2200, serial # 988, solid lifters, Bing 40mm carb, no tuning kit, main jet 255, needle jet 276.
Does anyone know how much the WOT EGT's would go down by raising the float 1/32"?
Then I can lower the needle to lean cruise.
Chuck D.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

The Bing manual for the carb says NOT to change the float (from what
they suggest) to cure a problem, but to cure the problem by
addressing either the main, the needle jet or the jet needle,
whichever "neighborhood" the problem resides in (my analogy). I've
read of guys who have adjusted the float height, but Bing says not
to. Are you sure you have a "lowerable needle"? Mine is not, having
only one groove for the snap ring.

Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/490+ hrs
On Apr 27, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Chuck Deiterich wrote:

Quote:
My EGT's at WOT are a little high 1250 F, while the cruise is a
little rich 1200 F.
Jabiriu 2200, serial # 988, solid lifters, Bing 40mm carb, no
tuning kit, main jet 255, needle jet 276.
Does anyone know how much the WOT EGT's would go down by raising
the float 1/32"?
Then I can lower the needle to lean cruise.
Chuck D.
forums.matronics.com_-

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
cffd(at)pgrb.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Lynn,

I am sure I have a needle with several grooves.
When I replaced the float needle with one that has a stronger built in
spring (black), I did not readjust the float. The spring in the old needle
(orange) would compress at 1.5 Oz, while the spring in new needle takes 31
Oz to compress (yes 20 times more). This means that any compression of the
weaker spring would effectively have a higher float level. Thus my float
may be a bit low. The 255 main is larger than what Jabiru now puts in the
Bing. SB 18-1 says mine came with a 250 but it did not, as the main jet
size is scribed in the side of the carb body and on the jet itself. Lately
they are using a 245 main jet. Needle jet sizes can be misleading as the
needles used are different.

Chuck D.
Quote:

Time: 04:47:22 PM PST US
From: Lynn Matteson <lynnmatt(at)jps.net>
Subject: Re: Float Level
The Bing manual for the carb says NOT to change the float (from what
they suggest) to cure a problem, but to cure the problem by
addressing either the main, the needle jet or the jet needle,
whichever "neighborhood" the problem resides in (my analogy). I've
read of guys who have adjusted the float height, but Bing says not
to. Are you sure you have a "lowerable needle"? Mine is not, having
only one groove for the snap ring.

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
andy(at)suncoastjabiru.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Chuck,

You did the right thing to change the float needle for the stronger (spring)
one as it gives a better seating. However, I would follow Jabiru's advice
NOT to try adjusting the mixture with the float level. You might get away
with it, but our advice was always to change mixture settings on the
pre-economy tuning by raising or lowering the jet needle for fine
adjustment, and if this wasn't enough, change the needle jet for a bigger
one and reset the needle to the 'standard' position which is groove #2, or
one-up from the bottom. If the Wide-Open-Throttle (WOT) setting was too
rich, you could go to a smaller main-jet size but as others have said here,
the relationship between the needle shape and resulting jet orifices (?)
meant that in practice, you could actually remove the main jet completely
and there would be no real difference in WOT mixture, because the fuel still
has to get past the needle jet, which at most throttle/slide positions,
controlled the mixture. The economy tuning definitely improved the cruise
and WOT mixture relationships with a new needle shape, so they went for just
jet-changing rather than (also) needle height adjustment for mixture
alteration. This is why the 'older' straight-tapered needles have 4 grooves
for adjustment, but the new economy needles only have one. The guy who
developed the new needle shape told me he'd prefer the new setup to be
called 'more tunable' rather than 'economy' as it is the needle that
provides the right relationship now between cruise (relatively lean) and WOT
(relatively rich). Unfortunately, the new setup got off to a poor start as
they'd not allowed for the over-lean conditions present in the carb /
induction when operating in lower temperatures, hence with experience the
successive guidance to go bigger on jets to richen the whole range, but
particularly cruise.

You may also be unaware that Jabiru went through a phase a few years back of
drilling-out jets to achieve the required mixture, so what was stamped on
the jet wasn't necessarily the size of the hole.....This was from memory on
2200s before the year 2000, or so, but ask your dealer as they have factory
information (I'm afraid I don't at present). To compound the issues, my
understanding is that the sizes stamped on main jets don't correspond to the
jet diameter, but on needle jets they do! This means a 2.80 needle jet has a
2.80mm hole, but I'm pretty sure a 255 main jet isn't 2.55mm. I have no clue
why this is.

Andy

--

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
tjs22t(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Quote:
To compound the issues, my
understanding is that the sizes stamped on main jets don't correspond to
the
jet diameter, but on needle jets they do! This means a 2.80 needle jet has
2.80mm hole, but I'm pretty sure a 255 main jet isn't 2.55mm. I have no
clue
why this is.

Andy,

Nor do I, but I can verify that what you say about "older" jets being
drilled out is true. On my #051 3300 both the needle jet and the main jet
had been drilled out and were not close to what was stamped on them.

I took to using my set of # drills to figure out what I had before
experimenting. Really would have been nice to know that from the factory.
Jabiru seem to be blind to many common sense pieces of info their customers
deserve.

cheers jeff

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
ronal22(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

My understanding is that any EGT temp. 1400 F or below is fine with the Jabiru 2200 engine. I was getting temps up to 1500, so I changed the needle jet from 276 to 280 and the main jet from 220 to 240. Now my high temp in cruise is 1375 with the OAT 65 F or above. My engine is Ser. No. 2030.
Ron Smith
Kitfox 4 with Jabiru 2200
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Chuck-

It must be that since your engine and mine, they changed their
thinking on jet needles, and sent mine with only one groove.
I have all three float needles, and I concur with your reading of 1.5
oz on the "silver-springed" light needle. My "gold-springed" medium
needle scales at between 4-5 oz, and my "black-springed" high needle
is in the plane at this time, so I defer to your reading of 31 oz.
The silver, gold, and black colors are what I observed, and are not
"official" by Bing. They refer to the three needles as "float needle
light" , "float needle medium", and "float needle heavy." I ended up
with all three due to various fartings around with the carb. I'm
pretty sure the number of my main (#220) conforms to the size etched
on the carb, but as Andy said earlier.....

"You may also be unaware that Jabiru went through a phase a few years
back of
drilling-out jets to achieve the required mixture, so what was
stamped on
the jet wasn't necessarily the size of the hole.....This was from
memory on
2200s before the year 2000, or so, but ask your dealer as they have
factory
information (I'm afraid I don't at present). To compound the issues, my
understanding is that the sizes stamped on main jets don't correspond
to the
jet diameter, but on needle jets they do! This means a 2.80 needle
jet has a
2.80mm hole, but I'm pretty sure a 255 main jet isn't 2.55mm. I have
no clue
why this is."

....that number may or may not be of value.
Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/490+ hrs

On Apr 28, 2008, at 10:15 AM, Chuck Deiterich wrote:

Quote:

<cffd(at)pgrb.com>

Lynn,

I am sure I have a needle with several grooves.
When I replaced the float needle with one that has a stronger built
in spring (black), I did not readjust the float. The spring in the
old needle (orange) would compress at 1.5 Oz, while the spring in
new needle takes 31 Oz to compress (yes 20 times more). This means
that any compression of the weaker spring would effectively have a
higher float level. Thus my float may be a bit low. The 255 main
is larger than what Jabiru now puts in the Bing. SB 18-1 says mine
came with a 250 but it did not, as the main jet size is scribed in
the side of the carb body and on the jet itself. Lately they are
using a 245 main jet. Needle jet sizes can be misleading as the
needles used are different.

Chuck D.

> Time: 04:47:22 PM PST US
> From: Lynn Matteson <lynnmatt(at)jps.net>
> Subject: Re: Float Level
> The Bing manual for the carb says NOT to change the float (from what
> they suggest) to cure a problem, but to cure the problem by
> addressing either the main, the needle jet or the jet needle,
> whichever "neighborhood" the problem resides in (my analogy). I've
> read of guys who have adjusted the float height, but Bing says not
> to. Are you sure you have a "lowerable needle"? Mine is not, having
> only one groove for the snap ring.

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Ron-
Did you happen to measure (with a # drill) the 240 main before you
installed it? Or for that matter the 220? I measured my 220 and it
is .078". I'm thinking of drilling my 220 out, as it seems to be the
reason that my EGT's are still up in the 1400's when I've gone to a
larger needle jet (twice) and it didn't lower the EGT's.

Lynn

On Apr 28, 2008, at 5:19 PM, RONAL SMITH wrote:

Quote:
My understanding is that any EGT temp. 1400 F or below is fine with
the Jabiru 2200 engine. I was getting temps up to 1500, so I
changed the needle jet from 276 to 280 and the main jet from 220 to
240. Now my high temp in cruise is 1375 with the OAT 65 F or
above. My engine is Ser. No. 2030.
Ron Smith
Kitfox 4 with Jabiru 2200
forums.matronics.com_-

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
d.goddard(at)ns.sympatico
Guest

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Hi Lynn. I'm not trying to come across "all expert" but we tried simply
drilling a larger hole in mains years ago with Mikuni carbs on motorcycles
and the results were unpredictable. It might be better to simply buy a
larger main jet from Bing if you feel the need. I've heard you can do it
with flow testing but I figured it wasn't worth the effort.
---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Dave.
I too, was a little wary when I heard folks talk about drilling jets
out, thinking it would be better to buy them and know that the
precision would be better. I've got a metal lathe, and had good
success in drilling my 2.76 needle jet out to a #33 drill size...
0.113". This didn't change my EGT's any (leading me to think the main
needed to be larger) but today I did something else. I was having
trouble getting one of my EGT's below the 1400° F range, and the left
bank was always the hottest. Well today I decided to rotate the carb
as per the suggested manner....top towards the cool side. I had done
this before, but when I recently added air-straightening vanes inside
my air duct (attaches directly to carb) I made sure the carb was
rotated directly vertical. I had flown it for a week or so that way,
and today I decided to try rotating it again. I am quite pleased to
say that this time it worked, and I now have 3 cylinders within about
30 degrees of one another, and one (#3) that is about 70 degrees
colder. I'm ready to live with that, I think. I no longer see the 1400
+ reading on cyl #4, like I had before. Knowing me, I'll probably try
to tweak the rotation a bit and see if #3 and #4 can be brought a bit
closer together.

It was interesting to note that during previous operation at around
2850 rpm, straight and level, my EIS would alarm showing high EGT
spread of over 212° F. I had arbitrarily set this number into the EIS
unit some time ago. Now I don't get that alarm, or see such a large
spread. I wish I could figure a way to precisely control the position
of the carb when rotating it, or doing the rotation from the cabin,
but that's asking for too much. : )

So for the time being, I won't be drilling my main out, or do any
other jet tweaking. I'll just concentrate on trying to fine-tune the
position of the carb.

Maybe what is needed is a cockpit-controlled splitter that will allow
for diverting the mixture toward the hottest cylinder/bank. It
wouldn't need to be much...just a lever-controlled vane positioned in
front of the built-in splitter. This is getting a bit radical, and
I'm hoping that persons with better testing facilities than I (read:
the Jabiru engineers) could do some work on the carb and come up with
a closer cylinder-to-cylinder match of EGT's.
Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/503+ hrs

On May 4, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Dave G. wrote:

[quote]
<d.goddard(at)ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi Lynn. I'm not trying to come across "all expert" but we tried
simply drilling a larger hole in mains years ago with Mikuni carbs
on motorcycles and the results were unpredictable. It might be
better to simply buy a larger main jet from Bing if you feel the
need. I've heard you can do it with flow testing but I figured it
wasn't worth the effort.
---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
ronal22(at)verizon.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Lynn,
I didn't measure the 240 main jet before I put it in, but here are measurements for the 220 main jet - .078", drill no. 47,
and for the spare 245 main jet - .089", drill no. 43. You could extrapolate between these two numbers to get a size for the 240 main jet. I would error on the smaller size, otherwise you could be running rich. Hope this helps.
Ron Smith, KF IV with Jabiru 2200A engine.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
gelco(at)npgcable.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

please remove Gaylord Clark from jabiru engine list. GC
[quote] ---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Thanks, Ron. At the present, I'm pretty happy with the 220, but
warmer ambient temps might have me going larger on the main jet, so
this is valuable info.

Lynn
On May 7, 2008, at 5:45 PM, RONAL SMITH wrote:

Quote:
Lynn,
I didn't measure the 240 main jet before I put it in, but here are
measurements for the 220 main jet - .078", drill no. 47,
and for the spare 245 main jet - .089", drill no. 43. You could
extrapolate between these two numbers to get a size for the 240
main jet. I would error on the smaller size, otherwise you could
be running rich. Hope this helps.
Ron Smith, KF IV with Jabiru 2200A engine.
forums.matronics.com_-

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
skypics

Joined: 12 May 2008

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Float Level Reply with quote

Main is 255 and a bit too lean change to 260

Needle is 2.76 and a bit too rich change to 2.70

My Jab 2200 is hyd lifter type with 225 main drilled out to a 235 and climb on the hottest is 1280 F

My needle jet was supposed to be a 2.80, but when Jabiru drilled it they didn't drill far enough and that left a ridge at the bottom of the hole that was equivalent to a 2.75. This gave 1425-1450 on the hottest in cruise.

I drilled it the rest of the way with a #33 drill to clean out the ridge. This gave a 2.80 and the hot EGT in cruise is 1400 F.

John M

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

_________________
John
pennington(at)gainusa.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Float Level Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I will be building another airplane using the Jabiru 3300 engine. Has anyone
had problems with reliability?

Thanks
Gary

---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours