Liquid cooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List
wnorth(at)sdccd.edu
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

Hmmpf,

Seems like the laws of thermal dynamics are pretty clear about heat
rejection, it takes what it takes regardless of medium used.

The only advantage liquid cooling has is the capacity to provide a heat
reservoir, to absorb it when too much is being generated, and to retain it
when not enough is being generated.1

The rejection of heat off of aluminum radiator fins versus cylinder cooling
fins is the same if the delta T between the fins and air is the same. Typical
coolant based radiators need to be a bit larger per HP because the engine
designers are shooting for lower temps (220deg vs 350deg) But a radiator that
was designed for aircraft use, or a coolant medium that allowed for higher
operating tempertures would solve all the proscribed complaints.

Unfortunately there is no real science to the claims made in this argument
because the P51 is the only one mentioned that was designed completely to be
both liquid cooled and aircraft. The auto conversions are not using radiators
or coolant designed to be in an aircraft, nor is the aircraft discussed
designed to be using a liquid cooled engine.

If you put a bullet in the sump or oil tank of a radial it will stop
producing power relatively quickly, just like the P-51. And it is a mistake
to say that the 51 will drop dead if they loose their coolant. That is not
true. They will need overhaul after landing but they will produce power when
decidedly overheated particularly if one backs off the power. Of note here is
that while I have tagged a few birds I've yet to take in any lead so the
stray sniper arguement is a bit of a reach.

The fact that one design wins a race over another means nothing to this
discussion without a discussion about mean time between overhauls and rate of
catastrophic failures, which data likely shows happening more often as a
function of more HP being produced (along with winning) versus type of
cooling system used.

The down side of liquid cooling is sophistication and the inherent cost. But
something exotic like micro ducting of a high temp coolant in the cowl or
wing skins would provide all the surface cooling one would ever need with no
extra drag, and viola, eliminate the cooling inlet/outlets all together while
also having a huge thermal reservoir for extra long straight up climbouts.

So it is time for someone to invent a low cost high strength lightweight
smooth cooling blanket that can be worked like 2024, and then use oil cooling
systems off the main oil pump. I think the point of the original poster is
that there are ways to get to a better design if we are willing to be a
little open about it.

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
gcomfo(at)tc3net.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

--

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
rv7(at)b4.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

On 19:12 2008-03-10 "Wheeler North" <wnorth(at)sdccd.edu> wrote:
Quote:
And it is a
mistake to say that the 51 will drop dead if they loose their
coolant. That is not true. They will need overhaul after landing but
they will produce power when decidedly overheated particularly if one
backs off the power.

Coincidentally, this is one of the arguments in favour of a rotary
conversion... Mazda rotaries are known for running dry and not failing. In
the event of an oil leak, your power will drop off a bit, but you won't
have to shut down. Might make the difference between an off-airport
landing risking life, limb, and airframe, and a safe landing followed by an
overhaul.

Not saying that's the only thing you should consider in an engine choice,
but it's something to consider anyway.

Quote:
So it is time for someone to invent a low cost high strength
lightweight smooth cooling blanket that can be worked like 2024, and
then use oil cooling systems off the main oil pump.

I think you'd find that the problem with such a system is the drag
internally, on the oil being pumped around. You'd need a pump almost as
big as your lycoming just to get the pressure necessary to push the oil
around. Smile

-Rob

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
skylor4(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

--- Rob Prior <rv7(at)b4.ca> wrote:

Quote:

<rv7(at)b4.ca>

<wnorth(at)sdccd.edu> wrote:
> And it is a
> mistake to say that the 51 will drop dead if they
loose their
> coolant. That is not true. They will need overhaul
after landing but
> they will produce power when decidedly overheated
particularly if one
> backs off the power.

Coincidentally, this is one of the arguments in
favour of a rotary
conversion... Mazda rotaries are known for running
dry and not failing. In
the event of an oil leak, your power will drop off a
bit, but you won't
have to shut down. Might make the difference
between an off-airport
landing risking life, limb, and airframe, and a safe
landing followed by an
overhaul.

Well, I know of one rotary powered RV-6 that had an
off-airport landing due to cooling system failure, and
subsequent engine failure. His engine did not run for
very long at all after the coolant leaked out and
boiled over. Fortunately, he was able to make a safe
landing on a highway.

Skylor
RV-8 QB
Under Construction
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

> Well, I know of one rotary powered RV-6 that had an
Quote:
off-airport landing due to cooling system failure, and
subsequent engine failure. His engine did not run for
very long at all after the coolant leaked out and
boiled over. Fortunately, he was able to make a safe
landing on a highway.

Skylor
RV-8 QB
Under Construction

I know about the one rotary powered RV-6 with a blown radiator hose where
the pilot elected to make an emergency landing on a dirt road due to the
smoke and steam (and probably fear of fire) - who can blame him. Since both
he and the aircraft flew again - he clearly made a good decision. Could he
have made it to an airport - we will never know for certain and I certainly
would not fault him for the good decision he made.

I do know of two other rotary powered aircraft that lost coolant and
although the engine was fried got both aircraft back to a safe airport
landing. One was a LongEZ and the second was another RV-6. The pilot in
the Rv-6 even had to make a go-a-round due to conflicting traffic. He
stated that when he returned the next day to examine the engine and poured
liquid into the engine - it leaked like a sieve - all the rubber seals had
been destroyed. $600 for another core and $1800 for new parts and he was
flying again for less than $3000.

The rotor engine is a bit different than piston engines in one significant
way that prolongs the engines ability to operate while overheated. In a
piston engine the overheated aluminum pistons will expand more than the
iron cylinder until the engine seizes. The rotary engine on the other hand
has an iron rotor inside an aluminum housing - the housing expands greater
than the rotor so you do lose some compression but the engine will not seize
due to loss of coolant alone.

The rotary can also operate on very low oil pressure due to its large
bearing surface and low inertia loads on the eccentric shaft (crankshaft) -
however, it like any other engine, it will eventually seize without oil to
the bearings.

The mechanical configuration of the rotary also does a good job of isolating
one rotor from what happens to the second rotor. I lost all the power to
one rotor on my way to Sun & Fun one year, my fully loaded RV-6A. I
managed to maintain 6500 MSL on the one remaining good rotor by cranking the
mixture to full rich and getting 14 gph fuel flow. It was just blowing
through the bad rotor but was enabling the good rotor to make max power
which was sufficient to get me to a 6000 foot runway 60 miles away.

Yes, I will admit after 400 hours behind my rotor I am a "bit" biased
toward the rotary, but, I like to think its because it has proven its
suitability as a viable aircraft engine. But, like with any engine -
failures can happen and the one thing all engine failures have in common is
that they rarely happen at a good time {:>).

Ed

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

_________________
Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson@carolina.rr.com
billsettle(at)bellsouth.n
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
tracy(at)rotaryaviation.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

The rotary will run for an amazing amount of time after coolant loss but loss of oil pressure is a different matter. Main bearings will sieze just like in a piston engine. Backing off the power does help with oil pressure loss but the allowed power will not sustain level flight.

Tracy Crook
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Rob Prior <rv7(at)b4.ca (rv7(at)b4.ca)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV-List message posted by: "Rob Prior" <rv7(at)b4.ca (rv7(at)b4.ca)>

On 19:12 2008-03-10 "Wheeler North" <wnorth(at)sdccd.edu (wnorth(at)sdccd.edu)> wrote:
Quote:
And it is a
mistake to say that the 51 will drop dead if they loose their
coolant. That is not true. They will need overhaul after landing but
> they will produce power when decidedly overheated particularly if one

Quote:
backs off the power.

Coincidentally, this is one of the arguments in favour of a rotary
conversion... Mazda rotaries are known for running dry and not failing. In
the event of an oil leak, your power will drop off a bit, but you won't
have to shut down. Might make the difference between an off-airport
landing risking life, limb, and airframe, and a safe landing followed by an
overhaul.

Not saying that's the only thing you should consider in an engine choice,
but it's something to consider anyway.

Quote:
So it is time for someone to invent a low cost high strength
lightweight smooth cooling blanket that can be worked like 2024, and
> then use oil cooling systems off the main oil pump.

I think you'd find that the problem with such a system is the drag
internally, on the oil being pumped around. You'd need a pump almost as
big as your lycoming just to get the pressure necessary to push the oil
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
tedd(at)vansairforce.org
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

Quote:
The only advantage liquid cooling has is the capacity to provide a heat
reservoir, to absorb it when too much is being generated, and to retain it
when not enough is being generated.1

I'm quite surprised nobody challenged this yet! Liquid cooling provides many
more benefits than just transient heat absorption.

Perhaps the biggest is reduced hot spots in the combustion chamber. That
allows either a higher compression ratio or a more efficient combustion chamber
shape, or some combination of both. Combustion chamber shapes that have high
detonation resistance (such as wedge) typically produce poorer flame fronts,
less complete combustion, and greater head loss than othe shapes, but have the
advantage of high detonation resistance. By reducing hot spots, liquid cooling
allows a better trade off of these factors to produce more efficient
combustion.

Another huge advantage of liquid cooling is that, by limiting thermal
expansion, it allows tighter tolerances. Compare the piston-to-cylinder
clearance on a Lycoming to a typical, modern auto engine. These tighter
clearances greatly reduce wear, and can be exploited to also reduce internal
friction (by, for example, reducing piston ring tension). Limiting thermal
expansion also allows greater freedom in selecting materials.

There are numerous other advantages. For example, liquid cooling allows
smaller valve stems, resulting in lower intake and exhaust restriction. The
resulting lower valve mass allows the rest of the valvetrain to be lightened,
resulting in further savings in engine weight and internal friction. The
coolant can also be used for various ancillary functions, such as heating the
cockpit (without risk of CO poisening), and provides a handy mechanism for
pre-heating the engine in cold climates.

Finally, liquid cooling has the potential to reduce cooling drag, as
demonstrated in airplanes like the P-51 and the Mosquito. But that's difficult
to achieve if the airframe wasn't designed for liquid cooling from the start.

So the advantages of liquid cooling are legion. Of course, air cooling has
certain advantages, too, but those are already well known to most people on
this listserver.

Tedd McHenry
Surrey, BC

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Back to top
tedd(at)vansairforce.org
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Liquid cooling Reply with quote

Quote:
less complete combustion, and greater head loss than othe shapes,

Sorry, that's "heat loss," not "head loss."

Tedd

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours