X@#$@#%*XX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
lcottrell

Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: Jordan Valley, Or

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

I have been putting off sending this due to shame and a plain reluctance to admit that I could do anything so patently stupid. However one cannot stick their heads in the sand forever. I managed to cause myself another major repair problem a couple of weeks ago. The short version is that I managed to get behind the power curve in a slow flight much too close to the ground. (Kolb Pilot Quit) Probably another five feet of altitude or if I had kept my eyes on the airspeed indicator this miserable letter would never have to have been written. As it is the axle "Y" fitting broke on contact with the ground, the gear leg dug into the soft ground resulting in a crushed nose cone and a few bent tubes. Every thing is repairable, I even straightened the gear leg, it only takes time and money.

While I have nothing but praise for the Firestar and the ability of the cage to absorb shock, (I didn't even have a sore muscle from the incident, except for kicking my own butt. ) I cannot quite speak as highly of the axle socket or the gear legs for that matter. While I cannot deny that the poor things shouldn't be subjected to the stresses that I have so callously asked them to withstand, I wish they were tougher. I understand that by their being the weakest part of the system that it might save some of the other parts of the cage. However when the leg snaps off or the axle breaks the rest of the cage is going to suffer as well. If the wheel had been able to stay on and just bounced rather than allowing the leg to dig into the ground, I cannot help but believe that the damage would have been substantially less. I hopefully will be getting some of the 4130 gear legs this spring, and perhaps I can talk Terry into building me some tougher axle Y's as well. I would have expected the gear leg to collapse, but the gear leg was OK, the damn axle Y broke.

If I planned to stick to airports and other civilized environs then none of this would be a consideration, but I haven't, and most likely won't.

Larry C

do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
do not archive
John Hauck

Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Hi Larry:

Sorry to hear about your gear leg/axle socket failure. Been there and done that. The exception was it chose to fail 3,742 miles from home, Muncho Lake, British Columbia, Canada, 1 July 2000.

I could have prevented this failure had I taken Brother Jim's advice when we were fabricating gear legs and axle sockets. He wanted to weld the axle socket to the end of the gear leg. I liked using the gear leg/axle socket because if was easier to align the main gear. Wish I had taken his advice.

When we rebuilt the mkIII we welded .120 wall axle sockets to the end of the 4130 legs. Don't think we will be losing a wheel anytime soon.

john h
mkIII

[quote] If I planned to stick to airports and other civilized environs then none of this would be a consideration, but I haven't, and most likely won't.

Larry C

[b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
slyck(at)frontiernet.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Sounds like some damage I'm recently familiar with (Thom?)  To his credit heuttered but one singular cuss word after exiting his inverted FS.  Admirable self control.
BB
BTW I would fabricate tougher Y axle fittings.
do not archive

         - The Kolb-List Email Forum - class="Apple-converted-space"> --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List                 --> http://forums.matronics.com            - List Contribution Web Site -                             -Matt Dralle, List Admin. class="Apple-converted-space"> --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
HShack(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

I don't know how thick you want them, but about 3-4 years ago I ordered new Y's & they were much thicker than the originals.

Howard Shackleford
FS II
SC
In a message dated 3/4/2008 3:21:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lcottrell(at)fmtcblue.com writes:
Quote:
and perhaps I can talk Terry into building me some tougher axle Y's as well. I would have expected the gear leg to collapse, but the gear leg was OK, the damn axle Y broke.

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Bob Dalton

Location: Manteca, Ca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Larry,

Glad your okay, now get her fixed up so we can read and see those great high desert trips you take and share with us. And gosh-darnnit be careful!

Bob Dalton
wiserguy(at)comcast.net

[...]

0
Quote:
1
Quote:
2
Quote:
3
Quote:
4
Quote:
5
Quote:
6
Quote:
7
Quote:
8
Quote:
9
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Bob Dalton
Manteca, Ca.
wiserguy@comcast.net
lcottrell

Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: Jordan Valley, Or

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
do not archive
customersupport(at)tnkolb
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

larry, sorry to here you had a bad landing, the axle fittings have been beefed up for a long time now, you may want to order 2 because the one you have ordered will not match,they are much better now. donnie at kolb.
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Thom Riddle

Location: Buffalo, NY, USA (9G0)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Larry,
Welcome to the stupid stunt club, or as you put it, Kolb PILOT Quit. As BB mentioned I had a similar incident last August, fortunately at BB's place, and not 3700 miles from home as was John H's. It has been way too cold in these parts to do any work on the FS in a frigid hangar but will get back to work on it when upstate NY spring arrives... in another couple of months Sad.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Thom Riddle
Buffalo, NY (9G0)

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Larry Cottrell wrote:

<< ... the axle "Y" fitting broke on contact with the ground, the gear
leg dug into the soft ground resulting in a crushed nose cone and a few
bent tubes. >>

"You can't break 'em if you don't fly 'em."
John Hauck

<< If I planned to stick to airports and other civilized environs then
none of this would be a consideration, but I haven't, and most likely
won't. >>

"Don't land anywhere you don't want to be broken down at."
John Williamson"
Dear Larry -

Sorry to hear of your recent mishap. Believe me, I know how it feels to
damage your airplane because of ... being human, as we are.

I hope you don't take offense to my posting these sanguine quotes from
two of our fellow Kolbers. Ya gotta admit - their words ring true!

Good luck in gettin' your Firestar back in the air soon, Amigo -

Dennis Kirby
Cedar Crest, NM
Do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
lcottrell

Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: Jordan Valley, Or

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
do not archive
Jim ODay

Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Location: Fargo North Dakota

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Bummer on the mishap Larry. Sad

How can I determine if I have the "beefed up" part?

Here is a pic of mine - http://myweb.cableone.net/oday/Kolb/Wheel%20Brake.jpg
Thanks.

Fly safe.

Jim

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Jim O'Day
Fargo, ND
Former Firestar II Builder/Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

> How can I determine if I have the "beefed up" part?

Quote:
Jim

Jim:

Call Kolb. Ask them what wall thickness they are using for the new beefed
up gear leg/axle sockets.

Get out the calipers and go from there.

Looks like yours may be thin wall stuff.

john h
mkIII

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
lcottrell

Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: Jordan Valley, Or

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Quote:
> How can I determine if I have the "beefed up" part?
>
> Jim
Jim:

Call Kolb. Ask them what wall thickness they are using for the new beefed
up gear leg/axle sockets.

Get out the calipers and go from there.

Looks like yours may be thin wall stuff.

john h
mkIII

I just went out and measured mine and it looks as though the wall thickness
is 65 thousands. I have to agree with John, yours looks like the thin wall
stuff.
Larry C

do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
do not archive
John Bickham

Location: St. Francisville, LA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Larry C,

Know how you feel right now. Bent my plane not being the smartest pilot in some changing weather conditions on the way to MV in 2004. You get pretty mad at yourself and feel like a walking idiot. Been there myself.

John H gave me some good advice when this happened to me. Take the opportunity to do all the little mods to make your plane better. Stuff you've been wanting to do, just didn't want to take the time and stop flying.

Although it took a long time, my plane bending turned out to be a really good thing. Could have been a fatal accident. Now, life and flying a bit different. Less priority on work, more on family and fun. Plane is a lot better now. Flies better and everything.

Stop kicking yourself so hard. More than are willing to admit have made bigger mistakes than you have. Only way not to screw up, is to do absolutely nothing.

Peace be with you.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Thanks too much,

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
Steven Green

Joined: 05 Feb 2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Steven Green
lcottrell

Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: Jordan Valley, Or

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: X@#$@#%*XX Reply with quote

Quote:

> None taken, I don't think any of you, could say anything to me that I
> haven't already said to myself, in much harsher language. Surprisingly
> Karen has not said even one word about the incident.
Have you told Her about it yet?

Steven

Do not archive

Now that one made me laugh. No way to keep from it, When I crested the rise
in the strip she was outside waiting for me. Smile Married 44 years not much
gets by her.
Larry C

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

do not archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours