Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar with BRS-GPL starter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davistcs(at)eoni.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Firestar with BRS-GPL starter Reply with quote

John,

I have the combination on my Firestar and don't know if I would do it again.

1. It seems really heavy, especially the housing that holds the starter which I suppose is meant to be a scattershield if the ring gear lets go.

2. It was hard to get the amount of shimming right to bring the "ring gear" out so it fits to the starter pinion without jamming during part of it's rotation, or being too loose. I had to take a needle file to clean some of the teeth up.

3. The "ring gear" is a steel strap with teeth punched into it that is wrapped around the main part of the ring gear plate and welded in about 4 places. The thought of that welded assembly turning 6 grand doesn't sit well with me.

4. I wouldn't even think of trying to put the manual starter on it too as they allow. This would entail bolting an adapter on the front of the ring gear which would stick out 2-3 inches and have the rotax manual starter parts bolted on. This looks like an open invitation to have an out of balance part spinning (at 6 grand) way out on the end of that extention. I can't imagine anything more likely to cause crank failure.

All of that said, it works really well. I take the cover off and inspect that ring gear every 20 hours or so. I love just sitting in the seat and turning the key. I spent too many years pulling on #(at)$%$ ([email]#(at)$%$[/email]) snowmobiles to enjoy a pull starter, also I like to think I could air start the thing if it died (probably not but it's a nice thought)

The "Rest of the Story" is that as soon as I can swing it, the Firestar is going to have an HKS on it and then maybe I won't have all these Rotax "things" to think about.

Terry Davis
Eastern Oregon
FS 1, 503, Powerfin, BRS, Hauck gear
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John H Murphy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar with BRS-GPL starter Reply with quote

Would the Rotax starter be a better fit than the GPL? There just is not a lot of room with the BRS sticking out the way it does.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: