Elevator trim tab information needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Hello Kolb guys and girls,

I have a question regarding the elevator trim on a MkIII. Is there anyone that actually built a trim tab INTO the elevator? (Rather than adding it on!)

What I'm getting at is, I am seriously considering building a "built-in" elevator trim tab, most likely with electric adjustment. Has anyone done this already? And, does anyone have an idea of the dimensions that a MkIII elevator trim tab would need to be?

As I have recommended in the past, the motorcycle exhaust servo motor could make a perfect electric trim motor.
Some come with cable assemblies, and mounting tabs. These are very durable, high torque, 12volt, small servo motors. I have one similar to this. It would be very easy to attach the cables to a bellcrank.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-GSX-R1000-GSX-R-exhaust-servo-motor-engine_W0QQitemZ310002541330QQihZ021QQcategoryZ35591QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated. Mike Welch MkIII

BTW. Many thanks to the people that offered lots of advice regarding cutting and drilling Lexan (especially Rick G.'s drill bit drawing) I am happy to say, I am virtually finished with all the "glass" (Lexan). OMG, THAT was a lot of work!!! Cleco it on. Uncleco, sand it some. Cleco it back on, check for fit, again, uncleco it, etc, etc, etc, etc.

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Mike
I Built a trim tab into one of the elevators on my Firestar like your talking about it worked great it was 3"X 12" controllable in flight, I sold the Plane to a Guy in Minnesota but I think I have a pic somewhere of the modification I did on it.
I think theirs PICS in the archives I did of this mod.
I could us the trim alone to land the plane  of course in perfect conditions no gusting x winds

Ellery In Maine Building MK3Xtra

do not archive

hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Hi Ellery,

Thanks for the reply on the trim tab. Was the one you built on the Firestar electrically operated? Do you plan the same type of tab on the Xtra you're building? Why was the trim tab on Crystal's MkII so huge?

I will check the archives. If you come across that photo of the tab you built, I'd sure appreciate it if you sent it to me. Do you think 3" X 12" would be big enough for a MkIII, of should it be more like 4" X 14"? Or whatever?

Thanks, Mike Welch

________________________________

From: ElleryWeld(at)aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 02:20:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

Mike

I Built a trim tab into one of the elevators on my Firestar like your talking about it worked great it was 3"X 12" controllable in flight, I sold the Plane to a Guy in Minnesota but I think I have a pic somewhere of the modification I did on it.

I think theirs PICS in the archives I did of this mod.

I could us the trim alone to land the plane of course in perfect conditions no gusting x winds

Ellery In Maine Building MK3Xtra

do not archive

________________________________

hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
cartejy(at)mtn-state.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Mike,I have a Firestar,,,with built in Electric Trim....works real
well,,very efective & easyto manage. I will put some info & pics out to you
on the site. 503...KXP & located in East :Liverpool Ohio,I will get some
photos & how done & what. get at it soon as can..hope it helps. Jay Carter
N90485..Firestar Exp --

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
olendorf

Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Location: Schenectady, NY USA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Jay, That's some Firestar you have there! How does that RAMJET engine perform? Must be a blast. Very Happy

Here is the aircraft info from airport-data.com

Aircraft N90485 Profile

Aircraft (FAA)
Manufacturer: Washburn Ron
Model: FIRESTAR KXP Search all Washburn Ron FIRESTAR KXP
Year built: 1991
Serial Number (C/N): 297
Mode S Code: 53100626
Aircraft Type: Fixed wing single engine
Amateur-Built: Yes
Number of Seats: 1
Number of Engines: 1
Engine Type: Ramjet
Engine Manufacturer and Model: Ama/expr UNKNOWN ENG

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Scott Olendorf
Original Firestar, Rotax 447, Powerfin prop
Schenectady, NY
http://sites.google.com/site/kolbfirestar/
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Jay,

Thanks for whatever info you can send. Scott O. refers to "nice looking plane", but I didn't see any photos, or a link to photos.

I'm also considering making the trim tab adjustable with possibly a cable like Ellery suggested.

Thanks, MIke Welch MkIII (I'll go look at the Kolb list photo site, to see if they're there)

[quote] Mike,I have a Firestar,,,with built in Electric Trim....works real
well,,very efective & easyto manage. I will put some info & pics out to you
on the site. 503...KXP & located in East :Liverpool Ohio,I will get some
photos & how done & what. get at it soon as can..hope it helps. Jay Carter
N90485..Firestar Exp
Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now!
Quote:
[b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
John Hauck

Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Mike W:

Thought you may be interested in the following NTSB fatal accident report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001211X11253&key=1

Standard forced pitch trim works well on the MKIII.

For what it is worth,

john h
hauck's holler, alabama

[quote]
I'm also considering making the trim tab adjustable with possibly a cable like Ellery suggested.

Thanks, MIke Welch MkIII (I'll go look at the Kolb list photo site, to see if they're there)

[b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks, John, for the article on the trim accident. I guess that is basically my concern, which is: how effective and accurate is the adjustment on the present design?

Maybe I should leave well enoungh alone. Mike

Do Not Archive

________________________________

From: jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:38:50 -0600

Mike W:

Thought you may be interested in the following NTSB fatal accident report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id 001211X11253&key=1

Standard forced pitch trim works well on the MKIII.

For what it is worth,

john h

hauck's holler, alabama

I'm also considering making the trim tab adjustable with possibly a cable like Ellery suggested.

Thanks, MIke Welch MkIII (I'll go look at the Kolb list photo site, to see if they're there)

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

I am also going to add electric trim to my Kolb MK-III Xtra. As shown in the accident report you need to be careful, but there is no reason not to do it. Many experimental / Ultralight airplanes have "Real" trim tabs, I like this a lot better than the spring adjustment, as almost all certified aircraft prove, this is the better way to trim an airplane. On a kolb it also gives you the ability to trim down and it also gives a back up to broken elevator cables, attachments etc.

Number one, I will be adding counterweights to my elevators when I add the trim tab, similar to the ones on the ailerons to eliminate the possibility of flutter. Stock, the elevator cables act as the counterbalance for the elevator and keep it from fluttering, but this may not be enough with the added weight of a trim tab and actuator.

Having a trim tab come free in flight can be disastrous, and induce flutter, it has happened on certified airplanes plenty of times. There is a purpose built electric trim actuator for experimental aircraft made by Ray Allen company, I have flown with it on another experimental similar to the Kolb ( Skyboy ) with these electric trim on both the rudder and elevator and its WONDERFUL !!! Its just so nice to do patterns, and just move the hat switch for trim in both axis and fly hands off whenever you like, like a real airplane !

Given the critical nature of trim tabs, and the possibility of disastrous results, I would highly recommend using trim tabs that are designed for aircraft. They are expensive, but not unreasonable. You can look at them at the link below.

http://www.rayallencompany.com/products/trimsystems.html

Mike Bigelow

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
capedavis(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Mike , I had a firestar KXP with a trim tab sold to me for around 100 dollars by Rans it was an alum formed tab which I cut down from 24x 4 inches to about b14x4inches and it was adjusted by cable with a wheel about 6 inches in diameter mounted iin the cockpit , mine was on the cockpit frame just ahead of the throttle and was adjusted like the trim on my Dads 1959 Cessna 172 , Roll it forward the nose went down , Roll it backward the nose comes up , and I was taking alot of Aeriel Photos and I could set the trim at any throttle setting to fly hands off , it worked for me for about 500 hrs . Hope this info is helpful , I don't know if Rans still offers this but the installation and the use of it was an easy lesson in aircraft construction. Chris

---

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
herbgh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

near as I know,.,,horizontal trim tab does not have to be on the
elevator... that would likely be the most effective spot however...

Stick it on the vertical stab.. or on the horizontal stab..outboard
end on the side that creates a bit of drag to assuage the p factor...??
Herb
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 08:46:51 -0800 "JetPilot" <orcabonita(at)hotmail.com>
writes:
Quote:

I am also going to add electric trim to my Kolb MK-III Xtra. As
shown in the accident report you need to be careful, but there is no
reason not to do it. Many experimental / Ultralight airplanes have
"Real" trim tabs, I like this a lot better than the spring
adjustment, as almost all certified aircraft prove, this is the
better way to trim an airplane. On a kolb it also gives you the
ability to trim down and it also gives a back up to broken elevator
cables, attachments etc.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
d-m-hague(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

At 12:52 PM 12/4/2007, herbgh(at)juno.com wrote:
Quote:

near as I know,.,,horizontal trim tab does not have to be on the
elevator... that would likely be the most effective spot however...

Stick it on the vertical stab.. or on the horizontal stab..outboard
end on the side that creates a bit of drag to assuage the p factor...??

A trim tab mounted to a fixed surface needs to be much larger. When you
put the tab on the elevator, the tab moves the elevator, and the elevator
does the work of trimming the plane, so the tab is relatively small. When
the tab is mounted to a fixed surface (or separately mounted like the early
Taylorcrafts and the Smith Miniplane), the tab has to do all the work
directly and thus must be much larger.

-Dana
--
Why are there Interstate highways in Hawaii?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
John Hauck

Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

> Wow. Thanks, John, for the article on the trim accident. I guess that
is basically my concern, which is: how effective and accurate is the
adjustment on the present design?
Quote:

Maybe I should leave well enoungh alone. Mike

Mike W:

It would be interesting to know how many successful hours of flight have
been put on the MKIII design since it was first produced in late 1991. For
that matter, it would also be interesting to know how many Kolbs have been
built, how many were flown successfully, and how many are being flown
successfully now, and for how long.

My mkIII is serial number M3-011. It was the first complete cage Brother
Jim welded up when we were staying with Homer and Clara Kolb last of 1990
and early part of 1991. I personally inspected the first 40 or 50 MKIII
fuselages that came off the line, was part of my daily chores during the
time we spent building my MKIII during the evening hours.

I can assure you the pitch trim system of the MKIII is more than adequate
and safe. If it wasn't, I would not be flying my MKIIII with it, and you
would be hearing the screaming and moaning of those unhappy souls who were
having problems with it.

I am continually amazed at people who are redesigning their Kolb aircraft
when they have little or no time flying it of any other Kolb. I never
changed a thing on any of the three Kolb airplanes I built before I had
flown and gained good solid experience in them, enough experience to know
what was needed and how to go about accomplishing the task that was
required.

One point on adding "stuff" to the trailing edge of the elevators. The Kolb
elevator is hinged on the leading edge and not at all balanced. Why they do
not have a tendency to flutter, I do not know. However, in the case of the
fatality I referenced, he had added more weight to the trailing edge which
probably got him into trouble with flutter before the trim tab seperated.
The original Twinstar used this elevator trim system. It was changed to the
present system used on the MKIII because it was proven to be a better
design.

Take care,

john h
mkIII 2,700+ hours

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
planecrazzzy
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Jet Pilot is a big fat moron
.
.
.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Last edited by planecrazzzy on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
John Hauck

Location: Titus, Alabama (hauck's holler)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Hi Mike B:

Interesting post on trim tabs.

"Stock, the elevator cables act as the counterbalance for the elevator and
keep it from fluttering,"

You will have to explain the above to me a little bit better. I do not
understand how cables counter balance the elevators.

"> I have flown with it on another experimental similar to the Kolb (
Skyboy ) with these electric trim on both the rudder and elevator and its
WONDERFUL !!! Its just so nice to do patterns, and just move the hat
switch for trim in both axis and fly hands off whenever you like, like a
real airplane !"

I use a fixed rudder trim tab and have no requirement for an adjustable one.
Same was true with my FS and US. Far as I know my MKIII still flies like a
"real" airplane without the luxury of Chinese Hat trim switch. Wink

Take care,

john h
mkIII

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
John Hauck
MKIII/912ULS
hauck's holler
Titus, Alabama
planecrazzzy
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Jet pilot is a moron
.
.
.
.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Last edited by planecrazzzy on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

An electric trim does not cause flutter. A failure that would drive an electric motor back and fourth is unheard of, they may run away to one stop or the other, but rapidly back and fourth no. Even on the billion to one chance you could induce a back and fourth failure in electric trim, the mechanism is not capable of moving the trim tab anywhere near fast enough to cause flutter. Bottom line is this is never going to happen. What does cause flutter in a trim tab is it coming loose from its actuator. A free floating trim tab will induce flutter very quickly, and has happened many times in both certified and experimental.

Mounting a trim tab on the end of the vertical or horizontal stab is a nothing short of a horrible idea. First you add stress to the outboard of those surfaces, the worst place structurally that you possibly can. The tabs would also be very inefficient, big, and heavy. There is a very good reason that you never see come crazy setup like this on certified airplanes.

Trim tabs on control surfaces work very well, and when you have an electric actuator on the stick, it makes a very ergonomic nice to fly airplane. Before adding trim tabs though, you do need to do your homework and make sure you are not going to make a mistake that is going to kill you. The electric trim tabs on the Skyboy that I flew were not in the design, but they were well worth the effort and made a very nice flying airplane out of it. The work was done by some airline mechanics that knew what they were doing. I will be copying their installation on my plane. I have gotten every bit of information on trim tabs that I can, and am confident that my Kolb would be a much nicer airplane to fly with them. John H is correct, modifying a known design is risky and not done correctly could be fatal, so I would recommend that no one try this type of modification unless they do proper research and have the ability to do it correctly.

Mike Bigelow

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
"NO FEAR" - If you have no fear you did not go as fast as you could have !!!

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
slyck(at)frontiernet.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

The first time I laid eyes on the MkIII trim system I also thought it
was a goofy looking contraption.
But being much too busy rebuilding the plane, I was willing to give
it a try.

Works perfect. I think the reason for no flutter problems is that the
entire horizontal assembly,
including the elevator is under load. If you used a tab you might
actually reduce that load
in the wrong place and end up with flutter.

Looks better too without extra crap hanging outside.
BB, plowed out from one foot of white stuff.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
planecrazzzy
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

Oooooh,
I see , you know everything....and "I'm" a liar

Whatever...
.
.
Gotta Fly...
.
.
.

JetPilot wrote:
An electric trim does not cause flutter. A failure that would drive an electric motor back and fourth is unheard of,
Mike Bigelow

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Michael Sharp

Location: Oak Grove, MO (Kansas City)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Elevator trim tab information needed Reply with quote

No Mike, YOU ARE NOT!

I've seen several of electric motors flutter back and forth...

Seems to me that if someone wants a "real airplane" maybe they should have bought one...

Mike
do not archive

planecrazzzy <planecrazzzy(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Oooooh,
I see , you know everything....and "I'm" a liar

Whatever...

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine...And why shouldn't it be?-
--It is the same the angels breathe.
Mark Twain,
Roughing it' 1886

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next