Lynn's Kitfox Cowling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Lynn's Kitfox Cowling Reply with quote

Lynn:

Is it that the Skyfox cowling? Otherwise, where did
you get it?

Jose

--- Lynn Matteson <lynnmatt(at)jps.net> wrote:

Quote:

<lynnmatt(at)jps.net>

Nope, Jose, it's a Model IV, with clipped wings, and
I now have the
wingtips on. I took that picture while practicing
taxiing not long ago.
I guess maybe I should all those facts to my
signature, now that the
plane is done and waiting for final inspection.

Lynn
Kitfox IV...Jabiru 2200

On Tuesday, February 21, 2006, at 04:19 PM, Jose M.
Toro wrote:

> <jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com>
>
> Hey Lynn:
>
> I just saw your Kitfox picture, and realized that
it
> is Jabiru powered. Is it that a Model III?
>
> Regards!
>
> Jose M. Toro, P.E.
> Kitfox II/582->Jabiru 2200
> "A slow flight in the Caribbean..."

browse
Subscriptions page,
FAQ,
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Admin.

Jose M. Toro, P.E.
Kitfox II/582->Jabiru 2200
"A slow flight in the Caribbean..."

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Lynn's Kitfox Cowling Reply with quote

Yes, Jose that's a Skyfox, and took quite a bit to make it fit as you
probably know. Mostly in the flare-to-windshield area. I followed Dave
Jalanti's lead in that area. The Skyfox people could do a better job of
making the upper-to-lower or "jog" area a little better quality, but
for the most part it's nice and smooth overall.

Lynn
Kitfox IV...Jabiru 2200
On Wednesday, February 22, 2006, at 06:22 AM, Jose M. Toro wrote:

Quote:

<jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com>

Lynn:

Is it that the Skyfox cowling? Otherwise, where did
you get it?

Jose

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Lynn's Kitfox Cowling Reply with quote

Lynn:

I haven't attained a "smooth" coupling of the upper
and lower parts yet. This makes it difficult to
remove the upper part. I will need to redo the fit.

For model II, I don't need to make adjustments for the
windshield. My concern is that the skyfox cowling is
kind of short on the sides, and do not have an
adequate fit with the frames near the doors. Did you
extend yours on the sides? How did you handle the
muffler exits?

M. Toro wrote:

> <jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com>
>
> Lynn:
>
> Is it that the Skyfox cowling? Otherwise, where
did
> you get it?
>
> Jose

browse
Subscriptions page,
FAQ,
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Admin.

Jose M. Toro, P.E.
Kitfox II/582->Jabiru 2200
"A slow flight in the Caribbean..."

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Lynn's Kitfox Cowling Reply with quote

I had to take about 1/2" to 3/4" from the bottom edge of the sides as
it hung a bit low. My oil cooler is so deep (top to bottom) that I had
to lower the cowl as far as it would go, just barely clearing the
cooling air ducts by 1/4" or so. If I gave the top of the engine any
more clearance, the cowl would hit the oil cooler. Another thing...I
fastened the upper and lower cowls together with clecos, then slid it
over the engine and airframe, back until it cleared the rear of the
prop, then shimmed here and there until it fit. That assured me that
the halves would fit together. I made up a little rectangular box-like
device that stood the camloc socket out away from the airframe, and
allowed the cowl to "relax". My cowl was also slightly long at the
doors (long fore and aft), so I trimmed that to fit. I did have to
extend the camloc mounting locations a bit on the upper, most forward
location on each side.

At first I had cut holes in the lower cowl to allow the muffler exits
to protrude. Then I got to looking and thinking about the muffler exits
exiting the cowl through the lower cowl rear opening, and decided to
make that work. This meant filling the already-cut holes with
fiberglass, and reworking the carb heat adapter (for want of a better
word), to allow the carb heat collar to be moved to the right side of
that adapter, and filling in the hole with a piece of stainless steel.
Then I rotated the muffler so the exit tubes were above the muffler,
and this lined up nicely with the cowl exit area, except that the
muffler exit pipes were a bit short, and would have probably caused the
exhaust gases to turbulate (my spell-checker doesn't like that word,
but I do. : ) ) right at the cowl exit. So I had a couple of 6" tube
extensions welded on to extend them. They look really nice, I think,
and extend about 4 and 1/2" beyond the lip of the lower cowl....right
out into the airstream.

Lynn
Kitfox IV...Jabiru 2200

On Wednesday, February 22, 2006, at 08:32 AM, Jose M. Toro wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Lynn's Kitfox Cowling Reply with quote

Lynn:

Thanks for the details! This information will be
useful for my project.

My project, which began as an engine replacement,
yesterday became a complete restoration. I had no
choice but removing all the fabric. This means that
after a year of buying the Jabiru, I will be grounded
for a while.

M. Toro wrote:

> <jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com>
>
> Lynn:
>
> I haven't attained a "smooth" coupling of the
upper
> and lower parts yet. This makes it difficult to
> remove the upper part. I will need to redo the
fit.

> For model II, I don't need to make adjustments for
the
> windshield. My concern is that the skyfox cowling
is
> kind of short on the sides, and do not have an
> adequate fit with the frames near the doors. Did
you
> extend yours on the sides? How did you handle the
> muffler exits?
>
> Jose

Jose M. Toro, P.E.
Kitfox II/582->Jabiru 2200
"A slow flight in the Caribbean..."

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
jimmieblackwell(at)sbcglo
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Lynn's Kitfox Cowling Reply with quote

Jose

I may have missed part of this thread, but am curious as to know why you are replacing all the fabric, age, accident?

Jimmie

M. Toro wrote:

> Lynn:
>
> I haven't attained a "smooth" coupling of the
upper
> and lower parts yet. This makes it difficult to
> remove the upper part. I will need to redo the
fit.

> For model II, I don't need to make adjustments for
the
> windshield. My concern is that the skyfox cowling
is
> kind of short on the sides, and do not have an
> adequate fit with the frames near the doors. Did
you
> extend yours on the sides? How did you handle the
> muffler exits?
>
> Jose

Jose M. Toro, P.E.
Kitfox II/582->Jabiru 2200
"A slow flight in the Caribbean..."

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Back to top
Lynn Matteson

Location: Grass Lake, Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Lynn's Kitfox Cowling Reply with quote

Jose-
Oh, NO! Why the complete restoration?

Lynn
do not archive
On Wednesday, February 22, 2006, at 04:01 PM, Jose M. Toro wrote:

Quote:

<jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com>

Lynn:

Thanks for the details! This information will be
useful for my project.

My project, which began as an engine replacement,
yesterday became a complete restoration. I had no
choice but removing all the fabric. This means that
after a year of buying the Jabiru, I will be grounded
for a while.

Jose

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

_________________
Lynn
Kitfox IV-Jabiru 2200
N369LM
jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Lynn's Kitfox Cowling Reply with quote

Lynn:

This plane was shipped from Orlando to Puerto Rico
back in 1997, and was subject to the salt water spray.
Today the corrosion is evident all through the
fuselage. So far, it seems like it won't be
neccessary to replace tubes.

Unbelievably, it seems to me like the hardest part of
this restoration will be to get a proper fit of the
cowling!

Jose

--- Lynn Matteson <lynnmatt(at)jps.net> wrote:

Quote:

Jose M. Toro, P.E.
Kitfox II/582->Jabiru 2200
"A slow flight in the Caribbean..."

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours