Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 stroke vs 4 stroke
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

What makes the 2 stroke less reliable than the 4 stroke? In theory the 2 stroke should be more reliable especially the piston port engine because it only had a few moving parts to fail. Pistons, crank and rods and thats it. 4 strokes have many more parts that could lead to an engine failure.

So why are engine outs more common with 2 strokes? Why is there more maintenance involved with the 2 cycle?

What oil do you guys use in your rotax engines? I know a lot of people use penzoil air cooled 2 cycle oil.
Is anyone using the blue max in there 503? I like the idea of mixing it 100:1 because it reduces the carbon build up. I talked to a guy who ran it in a hirth for 100hrs with no problems. He said there was hardly any carbon build up running it 100:1.
here is a link to the oil
http://www.recpower.com/blumax.htm

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

Don't follow the siren song of 100:1 oil mixes, it's just not enough oil
for an aircraft application. I tried it years ago, the Rotax survived,
but I really didn't like listening to the engine rattle as I babied it
back to the field. Added enough oil to the premix to get it back to 50:1
and the rattle went away. Lesson learned...

Been running Phillips Injex in Rotax 2-strokes for 24 years and more
than 1200 hours with no problems, very little carbon build up, and rings
that easily go more than 100 hours without sticking. Jet your Bing so
that cruise power gives egt's between 1075 and 1125 and Injex will give
you almost no carbon buildup.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

grantr wrote:
Quote:

What makes the 2 stroke less reliable than the 4 stroke? In theory the 2 stroke should be more reliable especially the piston port engine because it only had a few moving parts to fail. Pistons, crank and rods and thats it. 4 strokes have many more parts that could lead to an engine failure.

So why are engine outs more common with 2 strokes? Why is there more maintenance involved with the 2 cycle?

What oil do you guys use in your rotax engines? I know a lot of people use penzoil air cooled 2 cycle oil.
Is anyone using the blue max in there 503? I like the idea of mixing it 100:1 because it reduces the carbon build up. I talked to a guy who ran it in a hirth for 100hrs with no problems. He said there was hardly any carbon build up running it 100:1.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=146190#146190

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

4 stroke engines, in general, have pressure oiling systems, 2 strokes
have to rely on the oil being either direct injected into the engine
or being premixed with the gas.
I've used BlueMax oil in a Hirth I had in the shop last summer, but
not enough to make a statistical blip.
The primary killer of 2 strokes is running too lean. Remember how it's
oiled? Also faulty crank seals don't leak oil out, like a 4 stroke,
they leak air in, leaning the mixture. If you run a 4 stroke lean, it
won't like it, beyond a narrow range that is, but the quantity of oil
delivered to the piston skirt and bearings remains the same.
There's also the issue of proper storage. A 4 stroke, with good
quality oil in it, had that oil splashed all over its innards as it
ran. The 2 stroke has its oil delivered in a solvent. To store it
properly (Rotax says any time over 30 days of inactivity) you need to
run a can of misting oil, first through the carb until the extra oil
kills the engine, then into the combustion chamber via a spark plug
hole.
Last there is operating temperature. My HKS has a max head temp spec
of 338 degrees, the 912 is 300 continuous, 325 for short periods,
after which the heads must be Rockwell tested for proper hardness. The
447 I just broke in has a max CHT of 480 degrees, and regularly hit
close to 400 in climb.
These certainly aren't all the differences that effect engine
longevity, but its a start.

Rick

On Nov 15, 2007 8:14 AM, grantr <grant_richardson25(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

Another consideration in 2 vs 4 stroke longevity is the fact that the 2 stroke revs higher along with all the inherent stresses and vibrations.

Also, the 2 stroke fires once per revolution as opposed to the 4 stroke firing every 2nd revolution so there is more time for the heat to distribute to the cooling fins in a 4 stroke.

2 strokes lead a hard life by their very nature and they have to be treated with extra care to ensure they last and perform properly.

The advantages are high power output at minimum weight compared to most other practical solutions.

Here is a review of the Penzoil product:
http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oiltest.htm

and this describes how 2 stroke oil works:
http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oilworks.htm

The above articles also describe why a synthetic oil at 100:1 is not a good choice for 2 stroke air cooled engines.

Kolb UltraStar (Cuyuna UL-202)
Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

Regarding the argument of 2 stroke engines versus 4 strokes, I read an article once that did a very deep and scientific explanation of why 2 strokes are short lived, when compared to 4 stroke engines.

Including all the items mentioned by Rick, there was a huge difference that has to do with the velocity of the moving parts. Yes, 2 strokes produce prodigious amounts of power, but the friction of these internal surfaces is incredibly higher than the comparable frictions a 4 stroke sees. And when you add in the sensitivities of oiling that the 2 stroke has, (proper ratio, no suction leaks, etc.), the 4 stroke usually lasts many times over the life of a 2 stroke engine.

BUT!! As always, there is a but. In this comparison, one could conclude a 4 stroke engine is better, but that isn't a a complete win for the 4 stroke. A 2 stroke will generally produce significantly more power for a given weight. A 4 stroke could only dream of the power output of a typical 2 stroke, and this is because of the obvious; a 4 stroke engine only has 1/2 the opportunity to produce power that the 2 stroke has. Every second rotation of the crankshaft a 2 stroke is working on a power stroke, whereas a 4 stoke engine only sees this at every 4 revolutions.

Another limiting factor of the 2 stroke engine is its size. Recall a moment ago where we stated the high velocity of the internal moving parts of a 2 stroke. As everyone knows, force is increased with the square of the velocity. In other words, as a 2 stroke gets bigger, the higher speed of the parts becomes a huge detriment to keeping the engine together. A 100 cc engine can easily spin 8000 RPM. A 1000 cc will have more difficultly being able to spin 8000 RPM's....and stay together. A 3000 cc 2 stroke engine could only spin 8000 RPM for only a few seconds. As the piston's mass increases, so does its momentum. And the bigger the piston, the less interested it is in stopping, and turning around and going the other direction. Therefore, you would have to increase the size (and mass) of the rod, to handle this huge piston. But a more massive rod is less likely to be changing directions, just like the more massive piston. And what you have is vicious cycle, the engine is held to being relatively "small", due to the physics of velocity of the moving parts.

This is explained by the formula: KE = 1/2 x mass x velocity x velocity or KE = 1/2mV(sqrd)

KE equals Kinetic Energy, m means mass of the item that's moving, and v means the velocity of the moving mass.

Obviously, as a piston's velocity is increased, the Kinetic Energy (KE) goes WAY up!!!
Example: Let's say we have a 1 kg piston moving up and down at 75 cm/sec, therefore we would get:

KE = 1/2 x 1 kg x 75 cm/sec (squared),......which equals.........5,625 Kinetic Units

But, let's double the velocity of our piston to 150 cm/sec, and see what this produces:

We then get: KE = 1/2 X 1 kg x 150 cm/sec x 150 cm/sec.......which equals........22,500 Kinetic Units

Wow! By simply doubling the pistons velocity, the Kinetic Energy quadrupled!! And all this extra energy is focused on the connecting rod. If you keep increasing the velocity, or even the mass, for that matter, there will be a point where the connecting rod will no longer be able to contain this energy.

This scenario is classily displayed at the "races", when some fire breathing dragster blows an engine. He usually "throws a rod", where the rod couldn't keep up with the kenetic energy of the pistons spinning at 9 grand!!!

Anyway, that's what I was thinking. Mike Welch

herbgh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

2 stroke reliability.??

two or three things imho...Lack of operator knowledge...and
lubrication.... striving for good fuel consumption equals less
lubrication... a common thread on 2 cycle lists is fuel burn... You have
to put some fuel through to get good lubrication...

My notion...decarbon frequently...mix the oil at a low ratio(50 to 1)
and run the pee out of them...and when they hit 5 to 600 hours...sell
them on ebay as low or unknown time!! Smile And there in lies the other
problem....used and unknown time engines....No one should complain about
a bad 2 stroker if they buy used!!! Herb

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:14:56 -0800 "grantr"
<grant_richardson25(at)yahoo.com> writes:
Quote:

<grant_richardson25(at)yahoo.com>

What makes the 2 stroke less reliable than the 4 stroke? In theory
the 2 stroke should be more reliable especially the piston port
engine because it only had a few moving parts to fail. Pistons,
crank and rods and thats it. 4 strokes have many more parts that
could lead to an engine failure.

So why are engine outs more common with 2 strokes? Why is there
more maintenance involved with the 2 cycle?

What oil do you guys use in your rotax engines? I know a lot of
people use penzoil air cooled 2 cycle oil.
Is anyone using the blue max in there 503? I like the idea of mixing
it 100:1 because it reduces the carbon build up. I talked to a guy
who ran it in a hirth for 100hrs with no problems. He said there was
hardly any carbon build up running it 100:1.

jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

Mike, not to pick nits but a 2 stroke has an induction of fuel & expulsion of exhaust on one stroke (180 degrees) and compression and ignition on the other stroke(another 180 degress).

and those 2 strokes added together = 360 degrees of crank rotation and is 1 rev ....therefore the 2 stroke produces power every rev as opposed to the 4 stroke producing power on every 2nd rev.
The 4 stroke has the following strokes(180 degrees):
1) Fuel Valve 1 opens letting in fuel/air on doward stroke.
2) Valve 1 closes and compresses fuel/air on upward stroke.
3) Fuel/air ignition on downward stroke, both valves closed.
4) Exhaust valve 2 opens and exhaust expelled on upward stroke, and then closes valve 2.

Cycle is complete after 4 x 180 degrees = 720 degrees = 2 revs
Here is a 4 stroke animation: http://www.keveney.com/otto.html

The 2 stroke is a bit harder to explain since multiple things are occuring at the ports both above and below the piston at the same time, so here is an animation: http://www.keveney.com/twostroke.html

The valve that lets in fuel in our engines is the piston skirt clearing the fuel intake port and sucking the fuel into the crank case.

In some Rotaxes I think there are reed valves performing the function of the intake one way(in only) valve.

The fuel in the crank case is also what lubricates and cools the engine parts internally, requires the premix oil to do its thing here.

Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

grantr wrote:

What makes the 2 stroke less reliable than the 4 stroke? In theory the 2 stroke should be more reliable especially the piston port engine because it only had a few moving parts to fail.

2 Strokes are less reliable than 4 strokes, that is just a fact of life. Don't get hung up on the theory, just recognize the real world results for what they are. For a 2 stroke to run reliably it must have near perfect fuel air mixture AND prop loading, and there is the problem. In real life, perfection rarely exists, and it is ever harder to keep perfection of these things in hundreds of hours of aircraft use. Many companies have tried making 2 stroke engines reliable enough for certified aircraft, and every project has been abandoned. If a bunch of engine experts and companies with lots of resources were unable to make a 2 stroke more reliable on airplanes than 4 strokes, chances are almost zero that you will be able to.
Bottom line is if you want a reliable engine that is least likely to quit then its a no brainier, fly a 4 stroke.

If you can not afford a 4 stroke, and have no other option then to fly with a 2 stroke, do yourself a favor and read this article. Its short, and gives you really good useful, real world information (not a bunch of theory ) on how to keep your 2 stroke running as reliably as possible.

http://curedcomposites.netfirms.com/twostroke.html

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

Ray,

I knew that. I just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention. he he he
After I sent the email, I thought "you know, someone is going to point out that I described this wrong."
But you have to admit the rest of the email sounded fairly scinetific for a dopey basterd. Mike
Quote:
Subject: Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:28:30 -0800
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

Mike, not to pick nits but a 2 stroke has an induction of fuel & expulsion of exhaust on one stroke (180 degrees) and compression and ignition on the other stroke(another 180 degress).

and those 2 strokes added together = 360 degrees of crank rotation and is 1 rev ....therefore the 2 stroke produces power every rev as opposed to the 4 stroke producing power on every 2nd rev.
The 4 stroke has the following strokes(180 degrees):
1) Fuel Valve 1 opens letting in fuel/air on doward stroke.
2) Valve 1 closes and compresses fuel/air on upward stroke.
3) Fuel/air ignition on downward stroke, both valves closed.
4) Exhaust valve 2 opens and exhaust expelled on upward stroke, and then closes valve 2.

Cycle is complete after 4 x 180 degrees = 720 degrees = 2 revs
Here is a 4 stroke animation:

The 2 stroke is a bit harder to explain since multiple things are occuring at the ports both above and below the piston at the same time, so here is an animation:

The valve that lets in fuel in our engines is the piston skirt clearing the fuel intake port and sucking the fuel into the crank case.

The fuel in the crank case is also what lubricates and cools the engine parts internally, requires the premix oil to do its thing here.

--------
Ray
Riverside County, CA

Do Not Archive

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=146230#146230

jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

Very timely Mike....Thanks for the article.

I am just trying to tune my Cuyuna UL II-02 and this info has come at just the right time for me to do a proper job of tuning.

Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

Which is exactly why I like to cruise my 582 as close to 5,000 rpm as I
can get it. Good synopsis.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Mike Welch wrote:
Quote:

Regarding the argument of 2 stroke engines versus 4 strokes, I read an article once that did a very deep and scientific explanation of why 2 strokes are short lived, when compared to 4 stroke engines.

Including all the items mentioned by Rick, there was a huge difference that has to do with the velocity of the moving parts. Yes, 2 strokes produce prodigious amounts of power, but the friction of these internal surfaces is incredibly higher than the comparable frictions a 4 stroke sees. And when you add in the sensitivities of oiling that the 2 stroke has, (proper ratio, no suction leaks, etc.), the 4 stroke usually lasts many times over the life of a 2 stroke engine.

BUT!! As always, there is a but. In this comparison, one could conclude a 4 stroke engine is better, but that isn't a a complete win for the 4 stroke. A 2 stroke will generally produce significantly more power for a given weight. A 4 stroke could only dream of the power output of a typical 2 stroke, and this is because of the obvious; a 4 stroke engine only has 1/2 the opportunity to produce power that the 2 stroke has. Every second rotation of the crankshaft a 2 stroke is working on a power stroke, whereas a 4 stoke engine only sees this at every 4 revolutions.

Another limiting factor of the 2 stroke engine is its size. Recall a moment ago where we stated the high velocity of the internal moving parts of a 2 stroke. As everyone knows, force is increased with the square of the velocity. In other words, as a 2 stroke gets bigger, the higher speed of the parts becomes a huge detriment to keeping the engine together. A 100 cc engine can easily spin 8000 RPM. A 1000 cc will have more difficultly being able to spin 8000 RPM's....and stay together. A 3000 cc 2 stroke engine could only spin 8000 RPM for only a few seconds. As the piston's mass increases, so does its momentum. And the bigger the piston, the less interested it is in stopping, and turning around and going the other direction. Therefore, you would have to increase the size (and mass) of the rod, to handle this huge piston. But a more massive rod is less likely to be changing directions, just like the more massive piston. And what you have is vicious cycle, the en!
gine is held to being relatively "small", due to the physics of velocity of the moving parts.

This is explained by the formula: KE = 1/2 x mass x velocity x velocity or KE = 1/2mV(sqrd)

KE equals Kinetic Energy, m means mass of the item that's moving, and v means the velocity of the moving mass.

Obviously, as a piston's velocity is increased, the Kinetic Energy (KE) goes WAY up!!!
Example: Let's say we have a 1 kg piston moving up and down at 75 cm/sec, therefore we would get:

KE = 1/2 x 1 kg x 75 cm/sec (squared),......which equals.........5,625 Kinetic Units

But, let's double the velocity of our piston to 150 cm/sec, and see what this produces:

We then get: KE = 1/2 X 1 kg x 150 cm/sec x 150 cm/sec.......which equals........22,500 Kinetic Units

Wow! By simply doubling the pistons velocity, the Kinetic Energy quadrupled!! And all this extra energy is focused on the connecting rod. If you keep increasing the velocity, or even the mass, for that matter, there will be a point where the connecting rod will no longer be able to contain this energy.

This scenario is classily displayed at the "races", when some fire breathing dragster blows an engine. He usually "throws a rod", where the rod couldn't keep up with the kenetic energy of the pistons spinning at 9 grand!!!

Anyway, that's what I was thinking. Mike Welch

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

While the list is on an engine subject  who is running a Jabaru Engine which model and How do you like the preformance and Have you got any pictures of your Setup

Still pondering other engines

Ellery Building MK3Xtra

do not archive

[quote][b]

d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

At 09:14 AM 11/15/2007, grantr wrote:
Quote:

What makes the 2 stroke less reliable than the 4 stroke? In theory the 2
stroke should be more reliable especially the piston port engine because
it only had a few moving parts to fail. Pistons, crank and rods and thats
it. 4 strokes have many more parts that could lead to an engine failure.

So why are engine outs more common with 2 strokes? Why is there more
maintenance involved with the 2 cycle?

What oil do you guys use in your rotax engines? I know a lot of people use
penzoil air cooled 2 cycle oil.
Is anyone using the blue max in there 503? I like the idea of mixing it
100:1 because it reduces the carbon build up. I talked to a guy who ran it
in a hirth for 100hrs with no problems. He said there was hardly any
carbon build up running it 100:1.

--
But I don't have an "any key" on my computer!

d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

At 09:14 AM 11/15/2007, grantr wrote:

Quote:
What makes the 2 stroke less reliable than the 4 stroke? In theory the 2
stroke should be more reliable especially the piston port engine because
it only had a few moving parts to fail. Pistons, crank and rods and thats
it. 4 strokes have many more parts that could lead to an engine failure.

So why are engine outs more common with 2 strokes? Why is there more
maintenance involved with the 2 cycle?

The primary reason is the way that 2-strokes are lubricated. Yes, as
others have pointed out, they're more highly stressed since they get more
power out of the same size package, but modern metallurgy and materials
technology means that actual mechanical failures (not related to
lubrication) are rare.

The lubrication, of course, is dependent on the fuel/air mixture. Assuming
there's the proper amount of oil mixed with the fuel (or injected in),
having the right fuel/air mixture is critical. Too little (too lean) and
the engine seizes, or bearings fail, or it runs hot... and the engine
quits. Too much (too ruch) and it carbons up, eventually shorting out the
spark plug... and the engine quits. Even if it's adjusted right initially,
air leaks (bearing seals, gaskets, and carburetor boots) can make it run
lean. Furthermore, the optimum mixture point changes with the seasons and
weather conditions.

Here's an interesting thought: Many people remove the oil injection system
from their Rotax engines, fearing the failure of the injection pump. I'd
like to see statistics regarding the relative reliability of the same model
engine with and without oil injection. At least with oil injection, you
always have the intended amount of oil per revolution regardless of
fuel/air mixture.

Another thought: If you _do_ have oil injection, seems it would be
possible to inject at least part of it into the bearings, getting the
benefit of a 4-stroke's pressurized oil system to at least the lower end...
from whence the oil would find its way into the crankcase to mix with the
fuel as it does on any 2-stroke.

Still another thought: I have long believed that electronic fuel injection
(EFI) could be a major improvement to 2-stroke reliability. By taking the
mixture adjustment out of the operator's hands, it should be possible to
eliminate the problems from ignorant adjustments, or failure to make a
needed seasonal adjustment. Or, perhaps not even the complexity of fuel
injection, just an automatic mixture controlled carburetor, with feedback
from an exhaust oxygen sensor sensing the ratio (I know that O2 sensors are
problematic with oil in the fuel but it shouldn't be insurmountable).

-Dana
--

d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

At 12:51 PM 11/15/2007, JetPilot wrote:
Quote:
-
If you can not afford a 4 stroke, and have no other option then to fly
with a 2 stroke, do yourself a favor and read this article. Its short,
and gives you really good useful, real world information (not a bunch of
theory ) on how to keep your 2 stroke running as reliably as possible.

http://curedcomposites.netfirms.com/twostroke.html

That's a good article. One thing I found particularly interesting, the
point about long partial power descents. I've always been leery about long
idling descents, partially from concern about shock cooling, but also for
fear of the engine loading up and quitting. I have to think about that one.

-Dana
--

jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

There are fuel injected 2 strokes available here:
http://www.recpower.com/f23.htm
I agree these must be more reliable and probably worth the extra cost.

Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
jb92563

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

I also found this document that guides you through jetting and proping your 2 stroke properly and the relationship between the EGT, CHT and Static RPM.

Good info and still points out the descending under mid power issue for 2 strokes due to inadvertent leaning through unloading the prop in a shallow dive.

Principles Of 2 stroke jetting.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Principles Of 2 stroke jetting.doc
 Filesize:  249.5 KB
 Downloaded:  2076 Time(s)

Moni MotorGlider
Schreder HP-11 Glider
Grob 109 Motorglider

Do Not Archive
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

Yep, that is a pretty good document.
Somebody got it off my web page, here:
http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/pg11.htm

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
jb92563 wrote:
Quote:

I also found this document that guides you through jetting and proping your 2 stroke properly and the relationship between the EGT, CHT and Static RPM.

Good info and still points out the descending under mid power issue for 2 strokes due to inadvertent leaning through unloading the prop in a shallow dive.

--------
Ray
Riverside County, CA

Do Not Archive

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=146317#146317

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/principles_of_2_stroke_jetting_166.doc

d-m-hague(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

At 05:53 PM 11/15/2007, jb92563 wrote:

Quote:
There are fuel injected 2 strokes available.

Well, Rotax oughta get with the program!

-Dana
--
Censorship: The reaction of the ignorant to freedom.

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Reply with quote

The question of fuel injection came up at the Rotax Service Center
classes at Lockwood this last spring. Eric Tucker was asked, why it
wasn't used by Rotax. None available that meets Rotax reliability
standards.
I spent two years around a group of Hirth fuel injected engines
installed in MiniMaxes at Arlington, WA. We were flying a Kasperwing
at the time, probably the most weather finicky aircraft ever built,
but that's another discussion. At any rate, we would come out an a
beautiful day and run 14 gallons of fuel through the little Zenoah
over the course of the day. The Minimaxes would come out to the flight
line, get started and their tuning would get fiddled with for awhile
(I really don't know what else to call it, since it never resulted in
anything more than a circuit around the pattern), then the owners
would retire to the picnic benches for the remainder of the day.
Eric Tucker has more experience with 2 strokes than all the people on
this list put together. I trust his judgment. You can do as you wish.

Rick

On Nov 15, 2007 4:53 PM, jb92563 <jb92563(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

There are fuel injected 2 strokes available.

--------
Ray
Riverside County, CA

Do Not Archive

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=146314#146314

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: