Antenna options./Tailcone Riveting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
n8vim(at)arrl.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Antenna options./Tailcone Riveting Reply with quote

John,
On riveting the tailcone, it helps if you have a partner...

I had no help, so here's how I did it:
Put the Clecos in from the INSIDE of the tailcone, then you will
find your back riveting plate can slide in underneath the skin between
the clecos. Then just start Back riveting! Of course, when you get to
the aft top skin, you will need a partner, but other than that back
rivet away!

I even back riveted the curved sections; Get a few pillows or
foam blocks to hold the tailcone in position to back rivet the one you
need to rivet, then adjust positions, and repeat.... (Did I mention it
totally sucks doing it all alone?)

Enjoy it! This is the first piece that is big enough to show friends
what size your plane is! (All my friends thought the Horizontal
Stabilizer was the main wing!!!)

-Jim 40384 (SafeAir/Hotel Whiskey tip tanks are due to arrive
Wednesday!)
John Gonzalez wrote:

Quote:

Just curious as to whether anyone has tried to use one of those AAE
dipole antennas in their fiberglass wing tips. Using these would make
the plane more aerodynamically sound. Both comm, Nav and Transponder
antennas are available.

On another note, I will hopefully start riveting the tailcone next
weekend. Are there any suggestions on riveting those curved tailcone,
fuselage corners as this will be the first time with a part like
this....all so highly visible.

JOhn G.

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Antenna options./Tailcone Riveting Reply with quote

Thanks,

I hadn't read far enough ahead to realize there was that much back riveting.

I am interested in learning about your wing tip tanks after you install
them.

John G.

DNA
Quote:
From: James Hein <n8vim(at)arrl.net>
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Antenna options./Tailcone Riveting
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:28:22 -0500

John Gonzalez wrote:

>Just curious as to whether anyone has tried to use one of those AAE dipole
>antennas in their fiberglass wing tips. Using these would make the plane
>more aerodynamically sound. Both comm, Nav and Transponder antennas are
>available.
>
>On another note, I will hopefully start riveting the tailcone next
>weekend. Are there any suggestions on riveting those curved tailcone,
>fuselage corners as this will be the first time with a part like
>this....all so highly visible.
>
>JOhn G.
>
>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
n8vim(at)arrl.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Antenna options./Tailcone Riveting Reply with quote

John,
The plans make no mention on how to rivet the tailcone; It is up to
you. Since I had no help, I had to figure out how I would do it, so I
spent many hours clecoing, moving clecos, removing clecos, putting them
from inside, etc. until I figured out how I could do it.

Enjoy!
-Jim
do not archive

John Gonzalez wrote:

Quote:

Thanks,

I hadn't read far enough ahead to realize there was that much back
riveting.

I am interested in learning about your wing tip tanks after you
install them.

John G.

DNA
> From: James Hein <n8vim(at)arrl.net>
> To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Antenna options./Tailcone Riveting
> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:28:22 -0500
>

> John,
> On riveting the tailcone, it helps if you have a partner...
>
> I had no help, so here's how I did it:
> Put the Clecos in from the INSIDE of the tailcone, then you
> will find your back riveting plate can slide in underneath the skin
> between the clecos. Then just start Back riveting! Of course, when
> you get to the aft top skin, you will need a partner, but other than
> that back rivet away!
>
> I even back riveted the curved sections; Get a few pillows or
> foam blocks to hold the tailcone in position to back rivet the one
> you need to rivet, then adjust positions, and repeat.... (Did I
> mention it totally sucks doing it all alone?)
>
> Enjoy it! This is the first piece that is big enough to show
> friends what size your plane is! (All my friends thought the
> Horizontal Stabilizer was the main wing!!!)
>
> -Jim 40384 (SafeAir/Hotel Whiskey tip tanks are due to arrive
> Wednesday!)
> John Gonzalez wrote:
>

>> <indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com>
>>
>> Just curious as to whether anyone has tried to use one of those AAE
>> dipole antennas in their fiberglass wing tips. Using these would
>> make the plane more aerodynamically sound. Both comm, Nav and
>> Transponder antennas are available.
>>
>> On another note, I will hopefully start riveting the tailcone next
>> weekend. Are there any suggestions on riveting those curved
>> tailcone, fuselage corners as this will be the first time with a
>> part like this....all so highly visible.
>>
>> JOhn G.
>>

>> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
>>

> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Deems Davis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Antenna options./Tailcone Riveting Reply with quote

I also riveted my tailcone as Jim suggested. One thing that made a BIG
difference was that I got a BIG back rivet plate (16"x20"), I just went
down to the scrap metal dealer and found a piece of 5/16" (1/4"?). It
made it a lot easier as I was able to load more rivets at one time, and
also minimized the risk of getting off the plate.

Deems Davis # 406
Fuse
http://deemsrv10.com/

John Gonzalez wrote:

> <indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com>
>
> Just curious as to whether anyone has tried to use one of those AAE
> dipole antennas in their fiberglass wing tips. Using these would
> make the plane more aerodynamically sound. Both comm, Nav and
> Transponder antennas are available.
>
> On another note, I will hopefully start riveting the tailcone next
> weekend. Are there any suggestions on riveting those curved
> tailcone, fuselage corners as this will be the first time with a part
> like this....all so highly visible.
>
> JOhn G.
>

> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours