Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chenoweth(at)gwi.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

Here's a description of some engine-out practice, the first ever, I had yesterday. I found it quite enlightening. Others may find interesting - perhaps useful.

The background goes something like this. I'm a relatively low-time pilot (350 hrs) with about 200 in my Kitfox (IV-1200 582 w/IVO medium) and the rest in 172s. Recently I've been chasing a vibration that was almost certainly prop, gearbox, or engine. But, in the interest of thoroughness I decided to fly to 3000', shut down, and do some gliding to see if, perhaps, the airframe was producing the problem (it wasn't). I invited my tech counselor along because he's the coolest person I know under even the most trying circumstances and I can be excitable.

As an aside, since this is a two-stroke engine I've been very concerned with the possibility of an engine-induced forced landing so all (I mean All) of my downwind, base, and finals have been with engine at idle (I have the idle set at about 2050 - 2100 on the ground). I've figured I might as well be ready in case I really have an engine out. Wasted effort - see below.

To get to the end of the story, we did four separate climbs to about 3000, shut-downs, and descents to a landing. My plan now is to enlist this willing victim in data collection as I go to 3500 and do engine-out glides at speeds from 45 mph to 65 mph to re-calculate the best glide speeds.

Here's the story.
Yesterday was a perfectly calm day. We climbed to 3000. Overcoming my increasing reluctance to actually do it, I shut the engine off. But, surprise number 1, there was not an abrupt stop. It ran for a good 15 - 20 seconds as I slowly pulled the nose up into a stall - then the prop quit turning (except for a spastic sort of turn as it went jerkily past compression).
The next surprise was that it wasn't all that quiet - wind noise.
Next was the stall speed - about 42 mph. All my previous stalls had been at about 34 mph. They were all with the engine idling.
Finally the descent rate at best glide speed (55 mph but determined with the engine idling) was pretty fast and we didn't seem to be covering a lot of ground. There was essentially no wind at 1000 to 2000 AGL. The descent rate was 500+ fpm.

Of my four descents to landing only two were on the runway initially chosen. One was on a closer runway due to being too low to make the original destination. One was aborted about 500' AGL due to being too low. There is a story there, too. When I decided I needed to restart, the engine didn't cooperate. It took several tries and a hundred or so feet of altitude to get it going. I had the throttle at idle and with one hand flying and the other cranking there was no way to give it more gas. After that experience I locked the throttle at about 1/3 and the engine started fine.

To summarize - this experience was so unlike what I'd expected (and presumably practiced for) that it was startling.

I'm very interested in comments from any of you. Including criticisms of technique or action.

Bill
Albion, Maine

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
sonex321(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

The 582 idle speed is too high! On my old IV-1200 582ed (800 hrs), it would
float a long ways when trying to land when the idle was at 2000 rpm static.
I then set it to about 1600-1700 rpm static. Once on the ground with tail
down, I added throttle to taxi with 2000 rpm or more. Just add a bit more
throttle for start engine.
Cheers,
bh
ex-N194KF 582ed IV-1200, 800+ hrs

Quote:
Here's a description of some engine-out practice, the first ever, I had
yesterday. I found it quite enlightening. Others may find interesting -
perhaps useful.

The background goes something like this. I'm a relatively low-time pilot
(350 hrs) with about 200 in my Kitfox (IV-1200 582 w/IVO medium) and the
rest in 172s. Recently I've been chasing a vibration that was almost
certainly prop, gearbox, or engine. But, in the interest of thoroughness
I decided to fly to 3000', shut down, and do some gliding to see if,
perhaps, the airframe was producing the problem (it wasn't). I invited my
tech counselor along because he's the coolest person I know under even the
most trying circumstances and I can be excitable.

As an aside, since this is a two-stroke engine I've been very concerned
with the possibility of an engine-induced forced landing so all (I mean
All) of my downwind, base, and finals have been with engine at idle (I
have the idle set at about 2050 - 2100 on the ground). I've figured I
might as well be ready in case I really have an engine out. Wasted
effort - see below.

To get to the end of the story, we did four separate climbs to about 3000,
shut-downs, and descents to a landing. My plan now is to enlist this
willing victim in data collection as I go to 3500 and do engine-out glides
at speeds from 45 mph to 65 mph to re-calculate the best glide speeds.

Here's the story.
Yesterday was a perfectly calm day. We climbed to 3000. Overcoming my
increasing reluctance to actually do it, I shut the engine off. But,
surprise number 1, there was not an abrupt stop. It ran for a good 15 -
20 seconds as I slowly pulled the nose up into a stall - then the prop
quit turning (except for a spastic sort of turn as it went jerkily past
compression).
Next was the stall speed - about 42 mph. All my previous stalls had been
at about 34 mph. They were all with the engine idling.
Finally the descent rate at best glide speed (55 mph but determined with
the engine idling) was pretty fast and we didn't seem to be covering a lot
of ground. There was essentially no wind at 1000 to 2000 AGL. The
descent rate was 500+ fpm.

Of my four descents to landing only two were on the runway initially
chosen. One was on a closer runway due to being too low to make the
original destination. One was aborted about 500' AGL due to being too
low. There is a story there, too. When I decided I needed to restart,
the engine didn't cooperate. It took several tries and a hundred or so
feet of altitude to get it going. I had the throttle at idle and with one
hand flying and the other cranking there was no way to give it more gas.
After that experience I locked the throttle at about 1/3 and the engine
started fine.

To summarize - this experience was so unlike what I'd expected (and
presumably practiced for) that it was startling.

I'm very interested in comments from any of you. Including criticisms of
technique or action.

Bill
Albion, Maine

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

wliles(at)bayou.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

Very interesting report. Took some nerve to do it. What you've
discovered is that the engine gives quite a bit of thrust at idle,
enough to substantailly streatch a glide and reduce stall speed. Now
you really know what to expect if your engine quits and you'll be better
prepared for it. You also discovered that in air restarts aren't a
given. Really increases the pucker factor, doesn't it?

If you have theRotax C gear box you might consider installing the prop
clutch. The good things about the clutch is every landing can be a
practice for an engine out, you can warm the engine on the ground
without the prop turning, the engine cranks easier, the engine will
smoothly idle under 2000rpms. The bad points are; if the engine does
quit prop drag is much increased due to the windmilling prop, and the
prop will rotate on the ground in a strong wind casusing consternation
in the tower who may think an unattended airplane has its engine running.

Jerry Liles

Chenoweth wrote:

Quote:

Here's a description of some engine-out practice, the first ever, I had yesterday. I found it quite enlightening. Others may find interesting - perhaps useful.

The background goes something like this. I'm a relatively low-time pilot (350 hrs) with about 200 in my Kitfox (IV-1200 582 w/IVO medium) and the rest in 172s. Recently I've been chasing a vibration that was almost certainly prop, gearbox, or engine. But, in the interest of thoroughness I decided to fly to 3000', shut down, and do some gliding to see if, perhaps, the airframe was producing the problem (it wasn't). I invited my tech counselor along because he's the coolest person I know under even the most trying circumstances and I can be excitable.

As an aside, since this is a two-stroke engine I've been very concerned with the possibility of an engine-induced forced landing so all (I mean All) of my downwind, base, and finals have been with engine at idle (I have the idle set at about 2050 - 2100 on the ground). I've figured I might as well be ready in case I really have an engine out. Wasted effort - see below.

To get to the end of the story, we did four separate climbs to about 3000, shut-downs, and descents to a landing. My plan now is to enlist this willing victim in data collection as I go to 3500 and do engine-out glides at speeds from 45 mph to 65 mph to re-calculate the best glide speeds.

Here's the story.
Yesterday was a perfectly calm day. We climbed to 3000. Overcoming my increasing reluctance to actually do it, I shut the engine off. But, surprise number 1, there was not an abrupt stop. It ran for a good 15 - 20 seconds as I slowly pulled the nose up into a stall - then the prop quit turning (except for a spastic sort of turn as it went jerkily past compression).
Next was the stall speed - about 42 mph. All my previous stalls had been at about 34 mph. They were all with the engine idling.
Finally the descent rate at best glide speed (55 mph but determined with the engine idling) was pretty fast and we didn't seem to be covering a lot of ground. There was essentially no wind at 1000 to 2000 AGL. The descent rate was 500+ fpm.

Of my four descents to landing only two were on the runway initially chosen. One was on a closer runway due to being too low to make the original destination. One was aborted about 500' AGL due to being too low. There is a story there, too. When I decided I needed to restart, the engine didn't cooperate. It took several tries and a hundred or so feet of altitude to get it going. I had the throttle at idle and with one hand flying and the other cranking there was no way to give it more gas. After that experience I locked the throttle at about 1/3 and the engine started fine.

To summarize - this experience was so unlike what I'd expected (and presumably practiced for) that it was startling.

I'm very interested in comments from any of you. Including criticisms of technique or action.

Bill
Albion, Maine

gofalke(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

Jerry,
if you had a prop clutch installed, I doubt that you could warm up your engine without the prop turning. On the other hand, you are going to have a heck of the time to hand prop it. Smile

Herbert Gottelt,
Mt. Prospect, IL

Jerry Liles <wliles(at)bayou.com> wrote:

Jerry Liles

Chenoweth wrote:

Quote:

Here's the story.

Bill
Albion, Maine

wingsdown(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

Yep, that was one of the most surprising aspects of my engine out and
subsequent crash. The descent rate was much higher. If you have a free
wheeling redrive as I did, it is even worse that just having the prop
stop.

Rick

--

wliles(at)bayou.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

Herbert
I installed the clutch on Tootie Mae during construction and have always
flown with it. The engine starts easily and idles smoother than any
other 582 I've seen. She will warm up at 2200rpms quite nicely except
in coldest winter, and, since the clutch doesn't engage until 2400rpm,
the prop is stopped. Hand propping is a real problem, that's why I have
the rope starter. It's also nice to idle the engine and not have to
stand on the brakes while doing preflight checks and getting clearance
from the tower. Little things, true, but they certainly are nice. The
biggest negative is the windmilling prop if the engine quits. The glide
does suffer, but, since I practice engine out landings every landing I'm
used to it and probably better prepared than the usual pilot.

Jerry Liles

Herbert R Gottelt wrote:

Quote:

Jerry,
if you had a prop clutch installed, I doubt that you could warm up your engine without the prop turning. On the other hand, you are going to have a heck of the time to hand prop it. Smile

Herbert Gottelt,
Mt. Prospect, IL

Jerry Liles

Chenoweth wrote:

gofalke(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

O.K. Jerry,

My apologies, I am familiar with the overrunning clutch or one way clutch that Tom Anderson has on his Series 5 with the NSI engine. You probably referred to a friction clutch with spring type fly weights, similar to the clutch on my chain saw and hopefully stronger and more substantial.

Herbert Gottelt

Herbert

Jerry Liles

Herbert R Gottelt wrote:

Quote:

Jerry,

Herbert Gottelt,
Mt. Prospect, IL

Jerry Liles wrote:

Jerry Liles

Chenoweth wrote:

wliles(at)bayou.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

No problem Herbert. I see where the confusion comes and understand your
concern. I bet an engine out with the overrunnig clutch is a real
sphincter tightener. The clutch for the 582 is an aftermarket item for
the C Gearbox and it is a massive centrifugal clutch. Works great on
the two stroke but it is different than the overrunning clutch on the NSI.
Jerry Liles

Herbert R Gottelt wrote:

Quote:

O.K. Jerry,

My apologies, I am familiar with the overrunning clutch or one way clutch that Tom Anderson has on his Series 5 with the NSI engine. You probably referred to a friction clutch with spring type fly weights, similar to the clutch on my chain saw and hopefully stronger and more substantial.

Herbert Gottelt

Herbert

Jerry Liles

Herbert R Gottelt wrote:

>
>
>Jerry,
>if you had a prop clutch installed, I doubt that you could warm up your engine without the prop turning. On the other hand, you are going to have a heck of the time to hand prop it. Smile
>
>Herbert Gottelt,
>Mt. Prospect, IL
>
>Jerry Liles wrote:
>
>
>Very interesting report. Took some nerve to do it. What you've
>discovered is that the engine gives quite a bit of thrust at idle,
>enough to substantailly streatch a glide and reduce stall speed. Now
>you really know what to expect if your engine quits and you'll be better
>prepared for it. You also discovered that in air restarts aren't a
>given. Really increases the pucker factor, doesn't it?
>
>If you have theRotax C gear box you might consider installing the prop
>clutch. The good things about the clutch is every landing can be a
>practice for an engine out, you can warm the engine on the ground
>without the prop turning, the engine cranks easier, the engine will
>smoothly idle under 2000rpms. The bad points are; if the engine does
>quit prop drag is much increased due to the windmilling prop, and the
>prop will rotate on the ground in a strong wind casusing consternation
>in the tower who may think an unattended airplane has its engine running.
>
>Jerry Liles
>
>Chenoweth wrote:
>
>
>

jopatco(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

It is different in principle but the effects are the same in that the
prop will freewheel when the engine quits. That is why Lance had to come
up with a CAP. If you don't think a freewheeling prop doesnt have a lot
of drag/lift, then you don't believe a gyrocopter can fly.

Jerry Liles wrote:

Quote:

No problem Herbert. I see where the confusion comes and understand your
concern. I bet an engine out with the overrunnig clutch is a real
sphincter tightener. The clutch for the 582 is an aftermarket item for
the C Gearbox and it is a massive centrifugal clutch. Works great on
the two stroke but it is different than the overrunning clutch on the NSI.
Jerry Liles

Herbert R Gottelt wrote:

>
>
>O.K. Jerry,
>
> My apologies, I am familiar with the overrunning clutch or one way clutch that Tom Anderson has on his Series 5 with the NSI engine. You probably referred to a friction clutch with spring type fly weights, similar to the clutch on my chain saw and hopefully stronger and more substantial.
>
> Herbert Gottelt
>
>Jerry Liles <wliles(at)bayou.com> wrote:
>
>Herbert
>I installed the clutch on Tootie Mae during construction and have always
>flown with it. The engine starts easily and idles smoother than any
>other 582 I've seen. She will warm up at 2200rpms quite nicely except
>in coldest winter, and, since the clutch doesn't engage until 2400rpm,
>the prop is stopped. Hand propping is a real problem, that's why I have
>the rope starter. It's also nice to idle the engine and not have to
>stand on the brakes while doing preflight checks and getting clearance
>
>
>from the tower. Little things, true, but they certainly are nice. The

>biggest negative is the windmilling prop if the engine quits. The glide
>does suffer, but, since I practice engine out landings every landing I'm
>used to it and probably better prepared than the usual pilot.
>
>Jerry Liles
>
>Herbert R Gottelt wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>>
>>Jerry,
>>if you had a prop clutch installed, I doubt that you could warm up your engine without the prop turning. On the other hand, you are going to have a heck of the time to hand prop it. Smile
>>
>>Herbert Gottelt,
>>Mt. Prospect, IL
>>
>>Jerry Liles wrote:
>>
>>
>>Very interesting report. Took some nerve to do it. What you've
>>discovered is that the engine gives quite a bit of thrust at idle,
>>enough to substantailly streatch a glide and reduce stall speed. Now
>>you really know what to expect if your engine quits and you'll be better
>>prepared for it. You also discovered that in air restarts aren't a
>>given. Really increases the pucker factor, doesn't it?
>>
>>If you have theRotax C gear box you might consider installing the prop
>>clutch. The good things about the clutch is every landing can be a
>>practice for an engine out, you can warm the engine on the ground
>>without the prop turning, the engine cranks easier, the engine will
>>smoothly idle under 2000rpms. The bad points are; if the engine does
>>quit prop drag is much increased due to the windmilling prop, and the
>>prop will rotate on the ground in a strong wind casusing consternation
>>in the tower who may think an unattended airplane has its engine running.
>>
>>Jerry Liles
>>
>>Chenoweth wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

kirkhull(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

Thats why many twins can fearher the props on a dead engine.

--

algate(at)attglobal.net

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

I have also done quite a few practice "dead stick" landings - mainly I
winter over frozen lakes. One thing you need to be careful of is a cold
seizure if you do a re-start and apply too much power. The engine really
cools down quickly on a dead stick descent!

GaryA
Lite2/582
Quote:
The background goes something like this. I'm a relatively low-time pilot
(350 hrs) with about 200 in my Kitfox (IV-1200 582 w/IVO medium) and the

rest in 172s. Recently I've been chasing a vibration that was almost
certainly prop, gearbox, or engine. But, in the interest of thoroughness I
decided to fly to 3000', shut down, and do some gliding to see if, perhaps,
the airframe was producing the problem (it wasn't). I invited my tech
counselor along because he's the coolest person I know under even the most
trying circumstances and I can be excitable.
Quote:

As an aside, since this is a two-stroke engine I've been very concerned
with the possibility of an engine-induced forced landing so all (I mean All)

of my downwind, base, and finals have been with engine at idle (I have the
idle set at about 2050 - 2100 on the ground). I've figured I might as well
be ready in case I really have an engine out. Wasted effort - see below.
Quote:

To get to the end of the story, we did four separate climbs to about 3000,
shut-downs, and descents to a landing. My plan now is to enlist this

willing victim in data collection as I go to 3500 and do engine-out glides
at speeds from 45 mph to 65 mph to re-calculate the best glide speeds.
Quote:

Here's the story.
Yesterday was a perfectly calm day. We climbed to 3000. Overcoming my
increasing reluctance to actually do it, I shut the engine off. But,

surprise number 1, there was not an abrupt stop. It ran for a good 15 - 20
seconds as I slowly pulled the nose up into a stall - then the prop quit
turning (except for a spastic sort of turn as it went jerkily past
compression).
Quote:
Next was the stall speed - about 42 mph. All my previous stalls had been
at about 34 mph. They were all with the engine idling.

Quote:
Finally the descent rate at best glide speed (55 mph but determined with
the engine idling) was pretty fast and we didn't seem to be covering a lot

of ground. There was essentially no wind at 1000 to 2000 AGL. The descent
rate was 500+ fpm.
Quote:

Of my four descents to landing only two were on the runway initially
chosen. One was on a closer runway due to being too low to make the

original destination. One was aborted about 500' AGL due to being too low.
There is a story there, too. When I decided I needed to restart, the engine
didn't cooperate. It took several tries and a hundred or so feet of
altitude to get it going. I had the throttle at idle and with one hand
flying and the other cranking there was no way to give it more gas. After
that experience I locked the throttle at about 1/3 and the engine started
fine.
Quote:

To summarize - this experience was so unlike what I'd expected (and
presumably practiced for) that it was startling.

Quote:

I'm very interested in comments from any of you. Including criticisms of
technique or action.

Quote:

Bill
Albion, Maine

Michel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: engine out Reply with quote

On Feb 18, 2006, at 12:08 AM, Chenoweth wrote:

Quote:
Here's a description of some engine-out practice, the first ever, I
had yesterday.

Thanks for the interesting story, Bill. And the following experiences
from Kurt and many other, regarding dead-stick and rate of sink. I did
a few dead-stick landings with my instructor, three years ago. But I
have to admit that since, I haven't dare to do it myself, alone. All of
the can-go-wrong that has been mentioned on this list, have crossed my
mind. I was hoping for a cold winter and gliding down from say, 3,000
ft to a miles long frozen lake but ... much snow has come and that
isolates the lakes from a thick ice cover.

Cheers,
Michel

do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: