Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tailcone longeron hole clearance --one more time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Tailcone longeron hole clearance --one more time Reply with quote

Posted this yesterday morning  and only got one response.   I even sent the same question and pictures to Vans and they didn't even answer yet.  Anyway, on page 10-13 steps 4, 6, and 7 we are instructed to drill the end holes of each piece to #12's into the longerons.  What is the proper, or acceptable hole clearances (to the edge of the longerons)???  Mine range from 1/4" to 1/8 inch on the closest ones.  Is this an acceptable distance or do I need to get new longerons and start over???  
Pictures are attached.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Britton
RV-10 Tailcone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Tailcone longeron hole clearance --one more time Reply with quote

Forgot to attach the pictures.

Do Not Archive
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

MVC-025S.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.69 KB
 Viewed:  399 Time(s)

MVC-025S.JPG

MVC-026S.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.37 KB
 Viewed:  377 Time(s)

MVC-026S.JPG

millstees(at)ameritech.ne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Tailcone longeron hole clearance --one more time Reply with quote

The holes on my longeron are uniformly 1/2" from the outboard edge of the longeron.  Sounds like your F-1014 aft deck was not square when you drilled the longeron.  As has often been said, the parts are cheap, so order a new part and do it right.

Steve Mills 40486
N750SM reserved
wings
[quote] ---

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Tailcone longeron hole clearance --one more time Reply with quote

Bill and Tami Britton wrote:
Quote:
Posted this yesterday morning  and only got one response.   I even sent the same question and pictures to Vans and they didn't even answer yet.  Anyway, on page 10-13 steps 4, 6, and 7 we are instructed to drill the end holes of each piece to #12's into the longerons.  What is the proper, or acceptable hole clearances (to the edge of the longerons)???  Mine range from 1/4" to 1/8 inch on the closest ones.  Is this an acceptable distance or do I need to get new longerons and start over???  
Pictures are attached.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Britton
RV-10 Tailcone

You should have a copy of AC43.13.  It will tell you far more than you ever wanted to know about different construction materials and how to work with them.
Go to http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E?OpenDocument&Highlight=43

(you may have to cut and paste .... I haven't mastered 'small URL' yet) and look in chapter 4 ...... 4-57 to be more exact, and you'll find metal repairs .... and a whole lot more.  AC43.13 will be almost (I did say almost) as valuable as a set of plans or an extra set of hands.  Trust me.
Linn
Do not archive ...... which was missing from the original message.

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Tailcone longeron hole clearance --one more time Reply with quote

I guess I have the question of: Do you think you can do it
better the 2nd time around? If so, it may not be a bad
thing to rework. See if you're able to move things around
so that the next longeron would be drilled better. Then
you at least know if that option will help.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
Bill and Tami Britton wrote:
Quote:
Posted this yesterday morning and only got one response. I even sent
the same question and pictures to Vans and they didn't even answer yet.
Anyway, on page 10-13 steps 4, 6, and 7 we are instructed to drill the
end holes of each piece to #12's into the longerons. What is the
proper, or acceptable hole clearances (to the edge of the longerons)???
Mine range from 1/4" to 1/8 inch on the closest ones. Is this an
acceptable distance or do I need to get new longerons and start over???

Pictures are attached.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Britton
RV-10 Tailcone

ninepapa(at)bendbroadband

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Tailcone longeron hole clearance --one more time Reply with quote

Bill

For your reference here is how mine came out. The outside edges of the deck were lined up flush with the outside edges of the longerons, not the skins.

If the holes were moved outward much more the might be a problem with the washer under the nut seating properly because of the radius of the extrusion.

John

[img]cid:000b01c633ef$131ce960$640fa8c0(at)hb2tl21[/img]
[quote] ---

DSCF0002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.93 KB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)

DSCF0002.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: