autopilot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
armywrights(at)adelphia.n
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

What are some opinions on which trutrak to use?  What functions are needed in the box itself, and what functions do we not need to buy in the A/P that the EFIS/GPS will provide for us (steering commands, vert speed, etc)

Rob

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rv10es(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

I have a Trutrak in my -6.  Just love it!  It is precise and has the functionality of much more expensive auto pilots.
If you are going to shoot ILS approaches, you will at least need IIVSGV.  Talk to your EFIS guy also.  Blue mountain has their own Auto pilot and Trutrak will not work with their system.  GRT however supports Trutrak nicely.
rob kermanj
rv10es(at)earthlink.net (rv10es(at)earthlink.net)

On Feb 16, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Robert G. Wright wrote:
Quote:

What are some opinions on which trutrak to use?  What functions are needed in the box itself, and what functions do we not need to buy in the A/P that the EFIS/GPS will provide for us (steering commands, vert speed, etc)

Rob

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
dav1111(at)cox.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

I agree with the other Rob who posted, the TruTrak DigiFlight II VSGV is what I bought, going with the flat panel display instead of the round.  I am using a three screen GRT glass display (duel Horizon II and one Sport) for a hard IFR panel.  The following is a picture of the panel, almost completed:

[img]cid:005901c633b6(at)D43G8741[/img]

The panel covering is a Kevlar overlay material.  The bottom part of the panel will also have the Kevlar overlay put on after all the break and rocker switches holes are cut.  The TruTrak autopilot is on the far left hand side above the trim and ignition switch.

Russ Daves
#40044 (doors ready to install)
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

Panel_#1_Small.jpg
 Filesize:  228.61 KB
 Viewed:  410 Time(s)

Panel_#1_Small.jpg

Back to top
wcurtis(at)core.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

rob kermanj wrote: >If you are going to shoot ILS approaches, you will at least need >IIVSGV. Talk to your EFIS guy also. TruTrack is a great autopilot and I also intend to use the Digiflight II VSGV, however lets be clear on what is does and does not do. Firstly, the Digiflight II VSGV will NOT track an ILS directly. There are no provisions in the Digiflight for a VHF ILS Nav inputs, they only use GPS Nav data. While you can use a II VSGV to laterally fly a GPS overlay to an ILS, it cannot directly fly an ILS and will not track the glideslope –even with the Vertical GPS Steering capability. Since only the DFC & Sorcerer autopilots support external HSIs, only they can track an ILS directly –by tracking the HSI needles. That being said however, here is how a GRT EFIS can “trick” a Digiflight II VSGV into tracking an ILS. I’m not sure but the Chelton should also be able to do the same. You would wire the VHF/NAV radio signals into the GRT. The GRT would use these signals to depict the HSI and glidescope on the EFIS. Since the GRT now has the vertical and lateral guidance for the ILS from the VHF/NAV radio, it can feed these to the TruTrack as GPS lateral and vertical steering commands. In other words, the GRT EFIS would drive the autopilot. For the Digiflight autopilots, you need something in between it and the VHF/NAV radio if you want it to fly an ILS. For WAAS approaches with vertical guidance, the GPS can drive the autopilot directly, but not for ILS approaches. William Curtis 40237 - fuse http://nerv10.com/

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
speckter(at)comcast.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

Thank you for that clarification.  It helps us non electron types.
Do not archive
Gary
40274 Working on breaklines and fuel lines
[quote]
--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rv10es(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that with the
inclusion of the ARINC option with GRT, They were able to fly the ILS
approach. It is OK with me if they If they mimic the approch. I
will clarify it with GRT.

Thanks
rob kermanj
rv10es(at)earthlink.net

Do not archive.

On Feb 17, 2006, at 4:16 PM, William wrote:

Quote:
rob kermanj wrote:
>If you are going to shoot ILS approaches, you will at least need
>IIVSGV. Talk to your EFIS guy also.

TruTrack is a great autopilot and I also intend to use the
Digiflight II VSGV, however lets be clear on what is does and does
not do. Firstly, the Digiflight II VSGV will NOT track an ILS
directly. There are no provisions in the Digiflight for a VHF ILS
Nav inputs, they only use GPS Nav data.

While you can use a II VSGV to laterally fly a GPS overlay to an
ILS, it cannot directly fly an ILS and will not track the
glideslope –even with the Vertical GPS Steering capability. Since
only the DFC & Sorcerer autopilots support external HSIs, only they
can track an ILS directly –by tracking the HSI needles.

That being said however, here is how a GRT EFIS can “trick” a
Digiflight II VSGV into tracking an ILS. I’m not sure but the
Chelton should also be able to do the same. You would wire the VHF/
NAV radio signals into the GRT. The GRT would use these signals to
depict the HSI and glidescope on the EFIS. Since the GRT now has
the vertical and lateral guidance for the ILS from the VHF/NAV
radio, it can feed these to the TruTrack as GPS lateral and
vertical steering commands. In other words, the GRT EFIS would
drive the autopilot.

For the Digiflight autopilots, you need something in between it and
the VHF/NAV radio if you want it to fly an ILS. For WAAS approaches
with vertical guidance, the GPS can drive the autopilot directly,
but not for ILS approaches.
William Curtis
40237 - fuse
http://nerv10.com/

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Tim(at)MyRV10.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

William is right. Also, regarding the Chelton, yes, it will
work with the VSGV and fly bth vertical and lateral guidance.
It becomes very hard to justify the more expensive AP's
if you have a powerful EFIS. The Sorcerer would be about
as good as you can get if you wanted the top of the line.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
William wrote:
Quote:
rob kermanj wrote:
>If you are going to shoot ILS approaches, you will at least need
>IIVSGV. Talk to your EFIS guy also.

TruTrack is a great autopilot and I also intend to use the Digiflight II
VSGV, however lets be clear on what is does and does not do. Firstly,
the Digiflight II VSGV will NOT track an ILS directly. There are no
provisions in the Digiflight for a VHF ILS Nav inputs, they only use GPS
Nav data.

While you can use a II VSGV to laterally fly a GPS overlay to an ILS, it
cannot directly fly an ILS and will not track the glideslope –even with
the Vertical GPS Steering capability. Since only the DFC & Sorcerer
autopilots support external HSIs, only they can track an ILS directly
–by tracking the HSI needles.

That being said however, here is how a GRT EFIS can “trick” a Digiflight
II VSGV into tracking an ILS. I’m not sure but the Chelton should also
be able to do the same. You would wire the VHF/NAV radio signals into
the GRT. The GRT would use these signals to depict the HSI and
glidescope on the EFIS. Since the GRT now has the vertical and lateral
guidance for the ILS from the VHF/NAV radio, it can feed these to the
TruTrack as GPS lateral and vertical steering commands. In other words,
the GRT EFIS would drive the autopilot.

For the Digiflight autopilots, you need something in between it and the
VHF/NAV radio if you want it to fly an ILS. For WAAS approaches with
vertical guidance, the GPS can drive the autopilot directly, but not for
ILS approaches.
William Curtis
40237 - fuse
http://nerv10.com/

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours