defrosters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
weeav8ter(at)grandecom.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Has anyone installed or thought about installing a defroster system? I keep thing about running 2' hoses up to each side of the glare shield. Maybe some of you who have been flying for awhile, Vic, could tell me if you think it's necessary.

Nothing can give you a bad hair day quicker than coming in IFR, low ceilings and you can't see out the front window!!

Wayne Edgerton

# 40336

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

I am flying a 7 with 2 computer cooling fans in the glare shield to serve as defog fans.....works great and have needed them several times. Doing the same on the 10.

Doug
40372

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rv10es(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

can you post a picture?
Do not archive

rob kermanj
rv10es(at)earthlink.net (rv10es(at)earthlink.net)

On Feb 15, 2006, at 9:36 AM, DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com (DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
I am flying a 7 with 2 computer cooling fans in the glare shield to serve as defog fans.....works great and have needed them several times. Doing the same on the 10.

Doug
40372

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Will have to shoot pics when go to A/P next time.
dp

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
jeremy.p.harris(at)boeing
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Rick and I installed a defroster on our RV-10 using some tees, vent parts from a Cherokee, and a shutoff valve.  There's some pics on our website of the various components.
http://jharris.net/Aviation/RV_10.htm

Jeremy P. Harris
Integrated Missile Defense
BMDS Architectures Lab
The Boeing Company
Washington, DC
Desk: (703) 414-6057 Dept: AV-2L-B27T
Cell: (703) 627-6500
Fax: (703) 414-6372
Has anyone installed or thought about installing a defroster system? I keep thing about running 2' hoses up to each side of the glare shield. Maybe some of you who have been flying for awhile, Vic, could tell me if you think it's necessary.

Nothing can give you a bad hair day quicker than coming in IFR, low ceilings and you can't see out the front window!!

Wayne Edgerton

# 40336

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rv10es(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Thanks. No big hurry.

On Feb 15, 2006, at 10:42 AM, DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com (DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Will have to shoot pics when go to A/P next time.
dp

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rv10es(at)earthlink.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Thanks, I will look.

From: Wayne Edgerton [mailto:weeav8ter(at)grandecom.net (weeav8ter(at)grandecom.net)] Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:28 AMTo: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: defrosters

Has anyone installed or thought about installing a defroster system? I keep thing about running 2' hoses up to each side of the glare shield. Maybe some of you who have been flying for awhile, Vic, could tell me if you think it's necessary.

Nothing can give you a bad hair day quicker than coming in IFR, low ceilings and you can't see out the front window!!

Wayne Edgerton

# 40336

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
deruiteraircraftservices(
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not to sure this set up will work on the ground without a fanmotor of some description. You'll need quite a bit of forward motion to get air to move through the entire system. In addition, the windscreen tends to steam up when on the ground before and after engine start, ie, when you do not have forward movement. It is even doubtful you'll have sufficient forward motion during taxi.

The set up with the cooling fans out of a computer is a better option nad it's not the first time I've heard about it.
I know there's RV4's and -6's flying with them.
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
jjessen(at)rcn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Any chance we can remember the

Do Not Archive

on some of these casual posts?

Thanks

rv10es(at)earthlink.net (rv10es(at)earthlink.net)

On Feb 15, 2006, at 10:42 AM, DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com (DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Will have to shoot pics when go to A/P next time.
dp

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
sam.marlow(at)adelphia.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Will the fan motors interfere with the EFIS displays?

From: Wayne Edgerton [mailto:weeav8ter(at)grandecom.net (weeav8ter(at)grandecom.net)] Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:28 AM To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com) Subject: defrosters

Has anyone installed or thought about installing a defroster system? I keep thing about running 2' hoses up to each side of the glare shield. Maybe some of you who have been flying for awhile, Vic, could tell me if you think it's necessary.

Nothing can give you a bad hair day quicker than coming in IFR, low ceilings and you can't see out the front window!!

Wayne Edgerton

# 40336

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
deruiteraircraftservices(
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Hi,

I would be inclined to think that they don't. They're normally working in very close proximity to the computer mainboards, if there were any problems along those lines the computer would have problems(?)
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Tim(at)MyRV10.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

My EFIS has fans built right into the back. Can't see why
one would be a problem and another wouldn't unless maybe
it's a real noisy fan.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
RAS wrote:
[quote] Hi,

I would be inclined to think that they don't. They're normally working
in very close proximity to the computer mainboards, if there were any
problems along those lines the computer would have problems(?)

---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
rick.conti(at)boeing.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

What does “Do Not Archive” do to an email?

Thank You
Rick Conti
rv10es(at)earthlink.net (rv10es(at)earthlink.net)

On Feb 15, 2006, at 10:42 AM, DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com (DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com) wrote:

Will have to shoot pics when go to A/P next time.

dp

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
Jerry Grimmonpre'

Location: Huntley, Illinois 60142

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Hi Doug ...
I'm thinking the same thing about defrost and agree from similar experience.
What inch measurement fans are you flying with and do you get any fan noise?
Thanks for the info ...
Jerry Grimmonpre'
RV8A
DO NOT ARCHIVE
[quote] ---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
DOUGPFLYRV(at)AOL.COM
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Sorry, I do foerget. I seldom make post and not in the habit. Will try to  do better.
DP
DO NOT ARCHIVE

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Don't know as I do not have EFIS in the 7. Will find out when the 10 flies.
Doug

DO NOT ARCHIVE

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
DOUGPFLYRV(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

Jerry, I don't know exact size of fafans as we bought the 7. I purchased 2 fans for the 10...I think 3". There is no ducting, just cabin air criculating, but works fine.
doug
DO NOT ARCHIVE

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
owl40188(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

I wonder if these would work well in the tunnel area to keep it cooler.

Niko
40188

---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Back to top
steveadams

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: defrosters Reply with quote

Do not archive
Please bear with me if this is a stupid idea, as I am not building a 10. There has been some discussion of problems with a lot of heat in the tunnel area. If the air in the tunnel is positive pressure relative to the cabin, and the air is quite hot, wouldn't it be possible to duct some of that heat through a scat hose to a vent on the glare shield? Unwanted heat converted to a useful purpose, no wiring, fans to fail, possible radio noise etc. It seems to me the air flow and amount of heat that a little computer cooling fan would put out would be insufficient to do anything more than clear a little interior fog off a small portion the the windscreen. Just a thought.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jesse(at)itecusa.org
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: defrosters Reply with quote

We have a cooling fan system from Aircraft Spruce that has three ports, two going to the radio stack and one unused.  That could easily be run to a hole in the glare shield to be used as a defrost.  In fact, a fan with more ports could be used and have two or more defrost ports.  It would be always on, but I can’t imagine that that would make much difference, since the fan is always running anyway, and the air is just from under the glare shield, so it shouldn’t be too hot or cold except maybe just starting out.  Any reason that this shouldn’t work?

Thanks.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org (jesse(at)itecusa.org)
www.itecusa.org
Fax: 815-377-3694

I am in Ecuador until May, 2006.  If you have questions regarding I-TEC, please call the office at 352-465-4545.  If you would like to talk to me, please call me at 352-505-1899.  This number won't always be on, but it has voicemail that will get to me in Ecuador.

I'm not to sure this set up will work on the ground without a fanmotor of some description. You'll need quite a bit of forward motion to get air to move through the entire system. In addition, the windscreen tends to steam up when on the ground before and after engine start, ie, when you do not have forward movement. It is even doubtful you'll have sufficient forward motion during taxi.

The set up with the cooling fans out of a computer is a better option nad it's not the first time I've heard about it.

I know there's RV4's and -6's flying with them.
[quote]
---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next