Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List
YOURTCFG(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:06:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Craig Lundborg <dltafolk(at)sbcglobal.net>
Subject: 500A Cover and rudder brace
To: YourTCFG(at)aol.com
--0-1153313962-1136433975=:61579
Hi gang,
Can anyone direct me to a rudder stop and a canvas cover ....I am now the guy that is spotted at airports steering erradically and looking a little goofy trying to taxi in a straight line...how do you guys do it?
Love my new bird and can't wait for the training time to pass so its pilot will look as good as the Commander.

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
akucheck(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

Craig:
Congrats on your new acquisition!
Commander Aero has rudder gust locks, although a number of owners have
fashioned their own.
Bruce's Custom Covers does canvas covers for your bird:
http://www.aircraftcovers.com/
I looked at doing this but opted instead for heat shields from Cunningham:
http://www.cunninghamcovers.com/
They make all the difference in Southern California heat.
If you have any 500A specific questions, I may be able to help. Feel free
to contact me any time. Mine is a Colemill Conversion, 1962 #1256-80. You
can see more about mine at:
http://akucheck.squarespace.com/ or contact me at:
akucheck at gmail dot com
Alan

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
tylor.hall(at)sbcglobal.n
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

Craig,
The answer for control locks is again Commander Aero.
http://www.commander-aero.com/locks.htm
They have both internal and external.
Some have made their own with some wood, a stick and a rubber chicken.
Welcome to Flying and driving a Twin Commander. Anyone can fly a
twin commander, but it takes about 100 hours to learn how to drive one.
When I checked out in a Twin Commander, they forgot to tell me how to
really drive it.
The nose wheel on the short body commander has very little weight on
it. It takes locking you knees and using your toes to lightly push
on the upper part of the rudder peddles. It is a light touch to
steer the nose wheel with out getting into the breaks.
In a strong cross wind, she will want to weather vane into the wind.
It take lots of differential power to make it go the direction you
want it to go. Heavy on the up wind engine. I almost lost it into
the weeds on a strong cross wind. I was turning left and it went
right as it weather vaned on me.
I did take it out on a windy day on a large ramp to just play with
it, until I got the hang of steering and differential power. I was
in Garden City, KS and had to taxi out to the only runway in winds
that were steady at 25kts with gusts to 35 at 70 degrees to the
runway. Once I got the differential power going and the speed up, it
was easy to handle. Upwind power to get the speed up and once you
get 40mph, it is all rudder and forget the steering.
Have fun with your new bird.
Tylor Hall
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:06:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Craig Lundborg <dltafolk(at)sbcglobal.net>
To: YourTCFG(at)aol.com
--0-1153313962-1136433975=:61579
Hi gang,
Can anyone direct me to a rudder stop and a canvas
cover ....I am now the guy that is spotted at airports steering
erradically and looking a little goofy trying to taxi in a straight
line...how do you guys do it?
Love my new bird and can't wait for the training time to
pass so its pilot will look as good as the Commander.
Craig Lundborg
--0-1153313962-1136433975=:61579
Hi gang, Can anyone direct me to a rudder stop and a canvas
cover ....I am now the guy that is spotted at airports steering
erradically and looking a little goofy trying to taxi in a straight
line...how do you guys do it? Love my new bird and can't wait for
the training time to pass so its pilot will look as good as the
Commander. Craig Lundborg
--0-1153313962-1136433975=:61579--

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
jtaddington(at)charter.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

Craig,
Congratulations, you will love your airplane. I will have had mine 25 years
this coming April first. I have tried to trade it several times but have
always after looking at it decided for my needs my 500A (Cont-IO-470's) was
all I needed. If I can be of any help let me know.
Jim Addington
jtaddington(at)charter.net
940-566-2651

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
nico(at)cybersuperstore.c
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

Jim,
I owned a stock straight 500 and it appeared to outperform the A model. I
once took a 500A up for a short flight and felt it should've done better
compared to the 500 in terms of climb and cruise performance. The other
thing was, of course, the reliability and TBO of the Lycomings. With the
necessary soft-hand handling and care, we could take them well beyond the
2,000 hr TBO without top overhauls. I doubt whether Continentals would let
you fly past 1,000 hours or so before requiring some sun light on the
pistons.
My recollection of the A's performance is admittedly wholly suspect, so your
perception would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nico

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
jtaddington(at)charter.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

Nico,
I have only gotten to fly the 500A and 500B. I have heard that the 500 with
the Lyc's does have a little more oomph, no substitute for Cubic inches.
When you have not flown something with more power you don't miss it. I
usually get 175 to 185 mph cruse but I have added so many extras on my plane
that it is a little heavy and does not climb like it use to. I need to add
some weight to the tail and get the CG back some which would help some on
the cruse. I usually burn about 23 gals per hour total fuel.
Jim

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
dltafolk(at)sbcglobal.net
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

I have had IO-470's in other aircraft and always found the engines sound but you don't overheat or overwork them and the cylinders will stay the course.
Of course i always give a little more fuel on cruise as they really need their body fluids for cooling...and that starts the "Lean of Peak" argument.
P-Punk has a STC for installing the 520 cylinders on the block and is quite successful....but it only applies to the 0-470...I wonder why it won't work on injected?
Craig
css nico <nico(at)cybersuperstore.com> wrote:
[...]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

Jim,
After ticking off the traffic at the airport by taxing for a couple of hours ...The first take-off re-enforced all my desires to own a Commander.
She may not be all powerfull but after I get a couple of bugs out of her because of non use, I am very pleased with the bird.

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
BobsV35B(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
nico(at)cybersuperstore.c
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

For a while I had both an Aero Commander and a Piper Twin Comanche, another
bird I loved to fly. The logic was that when I travel alone or with only one
pax, I would jump into the Comanche. If the trip is to be an extended one
with two or more pax, I would use the Commander. It only held true for a
little while. For some reason the Commander got the additional avionics and
hence, the additional rides. So, the Comanche, eventually, left the stable.
Smile
It's just the way it is.
Nico

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Back to top
jtaddington(at)charter.ne
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Fwd: 500A Cover and rudder brace Reply with quote

Hello Old Bob,
I am not as up to date as some of the other people on the group but I don't
know of the conversion however Colemill would sure be a good place to start
looking.
Jim
N444BD

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours